Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • So 64ers….. will they come back?
  • DT78
    Free Member

Not that they were called that, but I remember the old bighits running 26" front wheels and 24" rear wheels. Wondering as 69ers seem to have a bit of a following for xc if we going to start seeing people mixing 26" & 24" again for dh.

Did anyone have an old bighit – what was the advantage to it running a smaller rear wheel? Or was it rubbish idea – hence why no big bike manufacturer does it now?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Not the latest niche, so no one will buy one to be "individual". (See 650b wheels now)

solamanda
    Free Member

I'd kill for a 29er dh bike.

PeteG55
    Free Member

I'm guessing you've seen Intense's 2951 then? The theory is great, however I think for a lot of UK dh tracks it won't work, too tight switchbacks etc, and I'd be concerned about the rotating weight for those tracks where you need to be sprinting. 26" DH spec wheels and tyres are heavy enough as it is.

singlespeedstu

solamanda you as clearly wrong as "experts" like flatfart can demonstarate.

29er are shite in every situation.

Just like tandems are slow downhill.

As you've had firsthand experiance off. 😉

Gary_C

I'd kill for a 29er dh bike.

And it'd probably kill you as the wheels collapse on landing a 10ft drop-off…

noteeth
    Free Member

no big bike manufacturer does it now?

Ask Cannondale to bring 'em back! 😀

singlespeedstu

And it'd probably kill you as the wheels collapse on landing a 10ft drop-off…

And you know this from personal experience I presume?

Something tells me you might have read a report about a xc 29er ten years ago.

But then again you might just be spouting third hand crap that a mate of a mate said a while ago. 🙄

You just keep on thinking your "core " though and I'll just keep on riding along. 😆

adeward
    Free Member

i have a 46er whyte preston 24 inch front wheel 26 rear,,, coz i'm worth it

Rickos
    Free Member

Reason behind it was quicker acceleration, but smaller wheels ain't so good over the bigger bumps. Might be good for a 4X style DH, but otherwise a bit of a faff.

solamanda
    Free Member

As you've had firsthand experiance off.

Indeed. I won't forget having to SPRINT to pass a tandem downhill…

[/slow reply]

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I thought the reason for the smaller wheel on the old spesh's was a simple matter of eeking an extra inch of suspension travel out without the wheel hitting the frame

singlespeedstu

Indeed. I won't forget having to SPRINT to pass a tandem downhill…

I let you past as I thought I might be a bit slower trying to avoid the walkers.
    I almost passsed you back again. Then Amanda started screaming at me to slow down. 😆
    She loves it realy. 😉

sheldona
    Free Member

She loves it she do

singlespeedstu

Ayatollahofniche – Member

She **** loves it she does.

There fixed that for you.

sheldona
    Free Member

There we are then 😉

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘So 64ers….. will they come back?’ is closed to new replies.