Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • so… 4X bikes/parts
  • wiggles
    Free Member

Just hypotheticaly building a 4X bike tonight…

What sort of parts do people use? Would probably use saint/zee for drivetrain and brakes.

But for wheels and forks would light xc type stuff be used? Or burly DH/DJ wheels and forks?

Tyres I guess is fast rolling and light. Sb8’s etc

cynic-al
    Free Member

You def want some enduro wheels.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Dt 5.1 rims,zee/xtr drivetrain,slx brakes,Float 32’s,dh bars and stem.

br
    Free Member

What sort of parts do people use?

Like any bike, as light as possible but strong enough.

wiggles
    Free Member

But how strong is strong enough? 😉

Cheers Rorschach gives me a good idea.
    I’m guessing 15/20mm forks are a must?

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Depends. Is it an out and out race bike, or more general use? Trails, street, park etc. How smooth are you?

wiggles
    Free Member

This hypothetical bike I can’t afford to build…

Would be for 4x tracks and maybe eventually some racing In the future but also live next to a skatepark so would be used for some mucking about too.

My riding style is a smooth as a badgers are…

nwill1
    Free Member

Racers will use parts that are XC light, helps with the SNAP out of the gate…however they’re super smooth and hardly hang up so bending they’re bikes are less likely. (Plus get replacement parts free/cheap if sponsored) Decent riders use Reba forks or lowered revs but I’ve seen hang ups leading to bending forks at the steerer. Less a rider do well with an older Pike maybe 300-500g heavier but unlike to bend easily!!

SLX cranks are fairly common, zee rear mechs are ace given the sort cage, as for wheels something with a decent strength to weight, hope pro 2’s on flows or EN521’s etc.

nwill1
    Free Member

This was mine, just rebuilding it now, pretty much got it all…

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/6719126/

Ace fun but very Larry for racing!

cfinnimore
    Free Member

I killed so many rims in my first 2 years riding street I’ve only now become smooth enough to even consider splashing serious cash on something like handbuilt Mavic 521.

A proper burly, cartridge bearing headset is a must and I always found a press-fit BB more withstanding to my ogre-like style.

Edit: Solo Air Rebas here at 120mm or some Rigid Kona P2’s, depending on the day.

Big-M
    Free Member

Mine, built around a Dialled Holeshot with some bits I had laying around… gone for a fairly strong build.

wiggles
    Free Member

Just give me that one ^ 😀

Exactly what I want a green holeshot frame and bits that an untalented lard arse wont break

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘so… 4X bikes/parts’ is closed to new replies.