• This topic has 44 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • So £15000 went missing from my mums house……….
  • ianpinder
    Free Member

My mum is now retired she had her life savings in a bag at the back of a cubboard in her room about 10ft up, basically you need step ladders to access it.

Now my mum is not very well and carers visit the home, £15k has gone missing, the most likely suspect is my sister, however it could also be the carers but you wuold only find it if you knew what you were looking for…… what is the best course of action????

stevomcd
    Free Member

Police, obviously.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Police. Dont tell anyone other than your mum that they have been called either.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If it was a tenner from the purse I'd say the carers. But concealed money – who knew it was there? How on earth would one of the carers know it was there?

ianpinder
    Free Member

None of the carers new it was there, and it was concealled only people ho were looking for it ould of found it. the police will be called. Not sure to tell my sister that we know it is gone or not?

danridesbikes
    Free Member

it was you and this thread is helping cover your tracks

if you knew £15k in cash was in the house

WHY DID YOU NOT HELP HER BANK IT

you are as bad as whoever took it

neglect 100%

druidh
    Free Member

Just tell her it's gone missing and you are going to call the police. You don't have to accuse her of taking it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If your sister is a possible suspect then get the police advice I would say – say and do nothing until you get their guidence

roper
    Free Member

and tell the police it was £25,000 😈

ianpinder
    Free Member

Nice one dan, what the **** do you kno, I live the othere side of the country and was don for her birthday, she told me about it today and i went to check on it and told her to go to the bank, befor ethis I had no idea the money was there.

Never the less, thanks for all the usefull replies, the police will be called and nothing more ill be said to other parties.

ianpinder
    Free Member

Nice one roper, the thing is, she can prove that she did have the 15k in cash….

toys19
    Free Member

Oh my god, why didn't you nick and stick it in a bank for her.

ianpinder
    Free Member

because i didn't know she had it

right, well we have called the police, they said just to ask my sister if she has seen it???

toys19
    Free Member

ianpinder – Member

because i didn't know she had it
    Sorry wasn't meant as a criticism, just a knee jerk type on my part..

Hmm why not do a bit of flushing, tell your sister you know where mums got 15k and does she want to go halves on it with you if you nick it..

thegreatape
    Free Member

Opportunity aside, why are you suspicious of your sister?

ianpinder
    Free Member

One of the carers saw the bag that the money was in mixed up in all my sisters junk when she was living here, she doesn't have a job, and is yet managing to live on her own in a nice flat and keeps buying new stuff for it, and her credit rating is rubbish so it won't be a loan.

My mum just asked her, and the first thing she said was she had never seen it, then when mum said that the bag was in her stuff she said that you can not prove it, then she said that she wouldn't do it anyway and doesn't know anything about it.

Bunnyhop

Blimey that's bad news.

I too would do a wee bit of detective work before accusing your sister.
    If new shoes, handbags or even a car start appearing, then she's the culprit.

Edit: It's looking very likely. What will you do now?

thegreatape
    Free Member

A logical conclusion then.

I would get back on to the police, or ideally get your mum to if she can, the sooner the better. Give them a chance, but if you feel you are being fobbed off then be persistent.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

You need to report it to the police however from the information you have give you may well struggle. Who does know about the money? how old is your Mother? how is her mental health? When did she last see the money? How does she know there was 15k there? When did she last count it? Has it been a while and she has suddenly realised it has all gone? Did you sister know about the money? You say it was "with your sister's stuff", what kind of stuff? things all bagged up for her to take, stuff to go to the charity shop, has it been thrown out by accident?

Lots of questions to ask to get more information.

scottyjohn
    Free Member

By the response you have had so far "ask your sister if she has seen it", Id say the police will be their usual, "ashtray on motorbike" level of usefulness! Although you need to report to them for insurance claim purposes, but other than that I wouldnt expect much help.

ianpinder
    Free Member

Right, a couple of answers to your question MC

My mum is 61, and although slightly mental she generally has her wits around her. Ironically, she took it out of a bank in one 15k go as she is not allowed so much money in her account. She never counted it, and it stayed in the same bag ever since. Just hidden, I have let my mum know now about safety deposite boxes, but never the less.

She last sa it hen packing for a holiday when she had to retrive a suitcase, now whilst she was on holiday my sister was looking after the house, alone for 2 weeks, one of the carers came in and said she saw the empty bank bag on the coffee table with her other items, i.e. phone, wallet bag etc.

I doubt the insurance company will want to know about it, don't know if your covered with family members stealing your stuff.

It has not been thrown out by accident, not sure how the legal systems works, if my sister has stolen it, then mum reports it to the police and my sister is found to of taken it, is it still my mothers choice if charges are brought against her?

ton

ian….get you sisters arm up her back and give her a chinese burn….. 😉

but seriously……….get the police in, but are you and your mother prepared to see her charged if anything comes of it??

cynic-al
    Free Member

It has not been thrown out by accident, not sure how the legal systems works, if my sister has stolen it, then mum reports it to the police and my sister is found to of taken it, is it still my mothers choice if charges are brought against her?

I'd be surprised if she could withdraw her complaint once things got that far.

deserter
    Free Member

sorry to hear this story Ian, don't envy you having to deal with this

danridesbikes
    Free Member

"Ironically, she took it out of a bank in one 15k go as she is not allowed so much money in her account"

fiddling the benefits eh

ianpinder
    Free Member

Wrong again Dan

theboatman
    Free Member

😉

ianpinder
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

I'd be surprised if she could withdraw her complaint once things got that far.

Right so now we need to find out a way to prove my sister guilty/innocent before we contact the police, as my mum thinks that my sister is already screwed in the head enough without going to prison

hora
    Free Member

Ok, how would your sister know it was there? Ask your mum if she regularly rummages around. Did your sister have old toys etc stored in the vicinity of where the money was hidden?

Did you have any work done at all upstairs, roof, inspection, plumbing? Anything at all?

Personally I'd call the Police and finger print the area before its cleaned over.

Your sister sound like a bit of a scrote. Kick her in the baws and steal £15k of goods/cash from her squat.

Seriously, hope you get this one resolved. Family can be a pain at times.

ianpinder
    Free Member

Hora, while mum was on holiday she asked my sister to get some tobacco before she flew out to meet us, the tabacco was stored in the same cubboard. No point for finger prints, the only people who would have fingerprints there are the people who would be suspected anyway.

hora
    Free Member

Ah. Take your sister down to the Pub, buy her a drink then bring it up.

As its family you can view it as a 'soft crime'. As a kid I used to nick the one pound out of my Mums purse however if I came across that amount I'd be extraordinarily pissed at my Mum, friend etc etc for leaving soo much around.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

It's a difficult one! It will be your Mum's decision if she wants to prosecute, if she says "no" then the police won't bring a prosecution as if you won't go to court to give evidence then the CPS won't run it.
    I suggest if it has been reporetd to the police they need to action it quickly as they will conduct a house search of your sisters place and if they find lots of money in big bundles (or however it was stored) she may have some explaining to do.

hora
    Free Member

It is a difficult one and hard to make a call on this unless you are there.

All the best Ian.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

STW – all life is here (though mainly middle aged blokes obviously).

hora
    Free Member

though mainly middle aged blokes obviously

speak for yerself, I'm still in my 30's, have some hair and can talk to a woman in a bar without her slapping me 😆

deserter
    Free Member

How long ago did the house sitting take place? Could she have spent it all by now? Surely it would be easy enough to trace how she paid for the stuff if so, no loans and previously no money in the bank?

cullen-bay
    Free Member

[tannoy] MISS MARPLE to the forum. Miss Marple to the forum… Thank you [/tannoy]

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

There will be a log of the money coming out from the bank. Not wanting to say anything bad about your mum or question her mental state! But maybe just check there was 15 grand to start with! Thats the first thing the bobbies will do, or should have done.

hora
    Free Member

It would be soooo easy to spot if a STW bloke did this

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘So £15000 went missing from my mums house……….’ is closed to new replies.