Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • SNP in England – possible troll content
  • BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

So, every so often we get discussions that come down to how much better off England would be if it was independant from Scotland.
    The thing is, the mainstream English parties know this not to be true, which is why you can't really vote for any anti-Unionist parties dahn sarf.
    However, up here we do have the option to rid ourselves of the whinging wastrels from down there. We can vote SNP. The SNP are allegedly a single policy party, aiming for the dissolution of the Act of Union, meaning seperatuion of the two countries. So, if they were to put forward candidates in the English constituencies campaigining on nothing other than the dissoluion of the Act, would anyone vote for them?
    You can keep Calamity Broon by the way, we'll just call that a goodwil gesture.

Jeez, I'm bored, just as well there's no end of taxpayer funds to keep me in the style to which Captain Flashie would like to become accustomed.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I think you are greatly over-estimating the extent to which the union is an issue for English voters.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I would almost definitely vote Plaid Cymru if they stood in Croydon. But only because they have imo, the best policies of any party in Westminster.

nicko74

Yes, the SNPs are trolls. Well, Salmond, at least, in the internet troll sense of the term. 😉

"we're not allowed to take part in the election debate, we're going to take you to court"
    "that's because your very existence is irrelevant to 2/3 of the population of the country, you buffoon. And besides, your policies make no sense. So sit down and be quiet"

("I'm going to make sure that Scottish people have jobs. By cutting Trident. You work out the logic")

IanMunro
    Free Member

BD's right. We're too busy enjoying all the vitamin D from the sun and lack of deep fried midges to worry much about the other place.

trailmonkey

Bye Scotland, missing you already.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Be honest, do you really think you'd be given ALL the oil and gas money for the north sea? National waters extend a few miles offshore, beyond that its fair game (well it would be if nations hadnt agreed already who got what area). Seeing as those treaties were written up as great britain/uk/whatever, the English would have as much claim to (whats left of) the oil and gas as you.

And how many government departments are run from south of the border? You'd need your own:

DWP
    DVLA
    NHS
    DEFRA
    Army/Navy/Airforce

Or is it just too convenient to forget to account for all that in your sums? I mean, its not like the army employs any Scottish people is it, would Mr Salmond make them all unemployed, or expect the english taxpayer to pay for a Scottish army?

trailmonkey

No, that's all nonsense, they can afford it all.

Don't try to talk them out of it.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I got a flyer from a chap standing for the "animal protection league" or somesuch, offering to stamp out illegal badger-baiting. I mean, it's a general election. Badger-baiting doesn't even get onto my radar as an issue, I'm not going to vote for him. Likewise, I'm not going to vote for someone whose only idea is dissolving the union. I have a view on it, it's an issue, but it's not an issue I'm going to spend a vote on.

uplink
    Free Member

I think you are greatly over-estimating the extent to which the union is an issue for English voters

Yup – I can honestly say I've never heard the subject come up in conversation – ever

it really never crosses anyone's mind

allthepies
    Free Member

>would anyone vote for them?

Nope, don't flatter yourselves we don't give a sh*te 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You'd need your own:

DWP
    DVLA
    NHS
    DEFRA
    Army/Navy/Airforce

Indeed……and for example, I can imagine just how tricky it would be for an independent Scotland to figure out how to registrate vehicles and issue numberplates – without any help from the English.

epicsteve
    Free Member

registrate vehicles and issue numberplates – without any help from the English.

Don't the Welsh do that?

Brownbacks
    Free Member

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Don't the Welsh do that?

Good point …………the DVLA is in Swansea.

Cheers – I'll correct that :

I can imagine just how tricky it would be for an independent Scotland to figure out how to registrate vehicles and issue numberplates – without any help from the Welsh.

allthepies
    Free Member

Yup, all they have to do is download the open-source "vehicle registration" system off t'interwebs and away they go. No cost whatsoever 🙂

zaskar
    Free Member

Short nucleotide polymorphisms?

westkipper
    Free Member

You're all assuming that the various departments/ institutions and even armed forces are 'English owned' organisations, their services gifted out of pure niceness to the dependent Scots.
    These areas are all paid for by taxes/resources produced by all of the UK and would have to be broken up with Scotland (and Wales) receiving a fair share.

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

Short nucleotide polymorphisms?

single nucleotide polymorphisms?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ok, so you get X% of the tanks and planes, my point was, you still need to pay for them, and th epilots sitting in them etc.

My point was, in all the maths I've seen the numbers used have been conveniently selected to say the least. i.e. they assume your going to get all the oil money, and not have to spend millions replicating every whitehall (or elswhere) department.

westkipper
    Free Member

Yes and No, its likely that the break up of infrastructure will entail some expense for BOTH countries. Bring it on!
    Secondly, Scotlands armed forces will no longer have to be part of the kid-on world superpower that Britain aims for, so there's a saving right away.

Really, the very worst Scotland could do is to be on the same footing as Ireland, which is no' so bad,
    The best would be a second-rate Norway, again, no' so bad!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Of all the arguments against independence for Scotland, by far and away the worst one is, "it can't be done".
    Of course it can be done. In fact, it would be a piece of piss to do.

Think of a better argument 💡

andrewh
    Free Member

Of all the arguments against independence for Scotland, by far and away the worst one is, "it can't be done".
    Of course it can be done. In fact, it would be a piece of piss to do.

Think of a better argument

Alex Salmond's idea of an 'independant' Scotland seems to be to move the government from London to Brussels.

Also, if I recall correctly in 1603 it was the Scots who took over England, rather than the other way round.

gwaelod
    Free Member

And how many government departments are run from south of the border? You'd need your own:

DWP
    DVLA
    NHS
    DEFRA
    Army/Navy/Airforce

hmm

DEFRA – many of DEFRA functions in England are devolved in Scotland, so DEFRA is pretty much irrelevant to Scotland..ie Environment Agency is England and Wales thing only. Scotland has SEPA instead…different structure, but much slimmer and answerable to Scottish Govt, Agriculture too is devolved function. Not sure re FSA which I guess is a DEFRA entity of some sort, it may have a UK wide remit.

Similarly Health is a devolved issue, so NHS structure in Scotland (and Wales) is answerable to Scottish Govt and is effectively independent of NHS England.

Similarly Dept of Education (or whatever Balls is calling it these days)..English thing only…nothing to do with Scotland or Wales, it doesn't operate there.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Alex Salmond's idea of an 'independant' Scotland seems to be to move the government from London to Brussels.

A much better anti-independence argument there andrewh

westkipper
    Free Member

Andrewh, It was one group of toffs who sold out one country (against the wishes of the people-scotland wasn't a democracy) for another.

andrewh
    Free Member

West Kip, correct. but it was still the Scots taking over England. The English weren't too keen on having a Scottish King at the time…

westkipper
    Free Member

I'm a republican too, andrewh, so it , to me just highlights the stupidity of that situation. 🙂

andrewh
    Free Member

Two words to turn any republican; President Blair.

Anyway, back to the OP, what do the English Democrats want? Is is just 'English devolution' as their answer to the West Lothian question or do they favour the disolution of the union?

trailmonkey

the latter, as soon as possible, thanks.

westkipper
    Free Member

Andrew, a republic does not necessarily mean an American style system, and we would never elect a Blair anyway!
    From what I've seen, most English people, genuinely, are as unconcerned with improving democracy in the English regions as they are with democratic autonomy for Scotland. Its a non-issue.

duckman

Andrewh, go and read up the "rough wooing" It might change your view on the act of union.

westkipper
    Free Member

Can I just clarify by saying that "I'm not a country-ist but…" and "some of my best friends are English people, why, only last week I talked with an English person who said…"! 😉

luked2
    Free Member

Who's going to bail out RBS and HBOS next time if Scotland is independent?

andrewh
    Free Member

and we would never elect a Blair anyway!

3 times! In a row!
    OK, he wasn't president, he just liked to think he was.

Who's going to bail out RBS and HBOS next time if Scotland is independent?

They'll be fine, just like other small northern European countries, like Iceland.

westkipper
    Free Member

Few folk in Scotland voted positively for Blair, Andrew (as if non-constituents vote for a PM anyway), It was a tiny minority of floating voters in middle England that actually swung his election.
    Things haven't gone so great, it's true, for Iceland, or Ireland for that matter, but how many people in those countries are clamouring to be back, ruled by someone else?

Anyhoo, A few years of the tories running things again, and it'll all come out in the wash.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

same footing as Ireland, which is no' so bad

Yeap last I heard the Irish economy is booming.

westkipper
    Free Member

I refer the right-honourable gentleman to the comment I made some moments ago…

jam-bo

have they left yet?

westkipper
    Free Member

Typical comment from a jambo! 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘SNP in England – possible troll content’ is closed to new replies.