Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Snowy conditions hitting your pay?
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Heard today that we are being put on short hours because of the snow and ice. If we're told to stay home we get paid 8 rather than 10 hours as of today, and as we have no production we have no bonus anyway on top of that. This is for a maximum of 10 days, after that we get laid off until the quarry can start working again.
    With a bit of juggling with the 3 staff here (We need 2 in at a time) we can stretch this out a bit, but we can only justify coming to work if there are orders on the screen, hence lorries to load from the stock we have on the floor…

This is gonna knock about £100-£150 a week off my take home pay as from now.

Fingers crossed it warms up soon, but next week looks no better at least.

😕

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

You could get a dull-as-crap desk job like me if you preferred Pete … same money all the time, same zzzzzzzzzzzz

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

ADH, I'm not qualified for anything really. Nobody wants you once they see you've worked in construction……..

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Nobody wants you once they see you've worked in construction

That's why I only go on a building site dressed in disguise.

gazman
    Free Member

i have not worked all week because of it so not earned a penny in 3 weeks ah well the joys of being in construction.

mtbfix

Shop has been open all week and the boss has being paying us even if we have worked short hours. I think it saves faffing about trying to work out who should be paid what.

falkirk-mark

We are getting more hours because of the bad weather 😆

uplink
    Free Member

This is gonna knock about £100-£150 a week off my take home pay as from now.

Have shovel, will travel

"hey mister, clear your path for a couple of quid" – tax free too

Although nobody seems to bother clearing paths any more [except me]

nickc

That's why I only go on a building site dressed in disguise.

As what?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

As what?

In my Marx disguise :

………….seems to work well

Blower
    Free Member

Yep me too,cant lay bricks in this,aint worked for 3 weeks now,and its a case of once we get this exstension built is when we get paid!half way through it so no money for a looong time,all to pay out once done,ahhh the joys of construction trade eh! 🙁

nickc

That's a quality disguise, no wonder you've eluded the CIA all these years… 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

ahhh the joys of construction trade eh!

You must be the first brickie I've ever come across, who doesn't like going home because of inclement weather……..usually they like packing their tools up as quickly as possible – before the rain stops.

In my case, I drove for about an hour and a half in treacherous conditions, only to find that when I phoned the foreman on his mobile, he was sitting at home. The site looked **** freezing, so I told him not to worry as I was happy to go home. Obviously I'm not going a single penny for today – but I didn't want to work anyway, and now I'm in the warm 8)

…….just as well that my needs are simple 😀

midlifecrashes

Yup, here too. Had to pay a plumber to go do a job I could have done myself, except I had the kids at home from school closures and the drive to my tenant's house would have been risky. PITA rather than a major money loss though.

Drac

Yeah it could effect mine, if it gets worse again I may have let them buy back my holidays. That'll be 4 days at time and half.

Whoop!

miketually
    Free Member

As a teacher, mine is unaffected 😉

Bunnyhop

No pay here either.
    Customers are too frightened to drive to me, also deliveries aren't getting through either.
    Not too bothered as the workroom is very, very cold atm.

Have done some good snowy rides though 🙂

sharki
    Free Member

I'm a self employed builder and just off the back of 5 months without work….so every penny counts, done one day this week…. bad times!

Grabbed a little indoor job for a couple days next week, but my little modelling gig has been put off a week, which matters not as future publishing take a month to pay…

Can't wait to get a proper employed job.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Snowy conditions hitting your pay?’ is closed to new replies.