Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • snowed in? lets have an igloo competition
  • dontgetoutenough
    Free Member

Ok, I’m going to admit I started mine yesterday, stuck at home with bored kids, will post a pic when done, let’s see yours then

ojom
    Free Member

me at the weekend. Built it for our nephews although we loved it more…

dontgetoutenough
    Free Member

Awesome

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Not one which I am in anyway responsible for, but one we saw whilst on a ride in January, and which looked kinda cool.

The folk who built it say that they shaped/formed the snowblocks, from a council recycling box.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

Nah.. More practice needed. You need to cut the blocks on a spiral. That way the top doesn’t fall in when you are building it, and you get a nice “Igloo” shape, not a lumpy space rocket..

(This was last year since we are not exactly snowed in right now!)

07012010284 by mountaincarrot, on Flickr

jon1973
    Free Member

There is a dissapointing small amount of snow around here at the moment.

djglover
    Free Member

Does this count

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Must be cold there

nedrapier

I’ve posted this before, but I’m still very proud of my first and only igloo. Purcells, British Columbia, last winter.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

British Columbia, last winter.

British Columbia ? ……..aren’t there Eskimos living there ?

Did any of them help you ?

Are you[/b] in fact an Eskimo ?

I think we should be told 😕

Excellent igloo btw ………. top marks ! 8)

nedrapier

Yeah, but it’s a long place, top to bottom. This was about on the same latitude as Paris. I read about the concepts (spiral construction) from Mountaineering: Freedom of the Hills, Vol. 7, then learnt on the job.

things I learnt: select your spot and quarry (or plastic box) carefully
    – have a good, long snowsaw (or plastic box)
    – concentrate on the strongest layer in the snowpack for your bricks, even if it means digging more. (or use a plastic box)
    – cut (or pack) your bricks thick (30cms). More thickness gives you more strength and more support, you don’t need to taper thinner as you get higher, physics is your friend:
    – the amount of grip and support you can get from the 2 supporting bricks as you lay at 45-75-90 degrees to the vertical is amazing.

One of the most satisfying things I’ve ever done!

Bon chance!

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I’ve wanted to build an igloo for years! Made a really ropey one as a kid but it was rubbish. Finally had enough snow this year – in fact, so much snow you can’t tell where we got this lot from! 36cm in the back garden…

Please excuse the very poor quality timelapse video but I’m chuffed!

Just got to persuade the Mrs to spend the night in it now.

thv3
    Free Member

I was well impressed with my first igloo until I spotted Nedrapiers!! Will need Eskimo help to rival that one I think.

The dogs claimed it now though.

Simon

Here’s my first go at an igloo for about 30 years.
    Took me and my eldest daughter (small one gave up after 20 mins) all day yesterday and LOT of snow to complete it.
    Used a big plastic sandwich box packed with snow to make the “bricks”.
    Turned out taller than planned and it’s too small for me to get inside!

mogrim

Please excuse the very poor quality timelapse video but I’m chuffed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b39KZ6-rV8I

Great igloo, and love the video, the only thing you need to make it full of Awesome is a bit of music – I reckon the Benny Hill theme music would be perfect 🙂

rhys
    Free Member

Snow all gone and Igloo nearly gone because of the rain!! We did make Radio Cornwall with ours tho!!

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Cheers mogrim!

I uploaded straight from the phone using trial timelapse software so can’t figure out how to add music. There’s a couple of tea breaks in there that I wanted to slow the frame rate for too. Will see if I can get it editted up.

Finished article – about 8 foot across, 5 foot high.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Igloo tip – if it’s freezing, light a candle inside to melt the inner and sprinkle water on the outside. When it freezes over it’ll be bombproof!

Drac

We use to build them as Kids using cardboard boxes, tried last year with a plastic box but it kept freezing in the box until the box broken.

isitaboutabicycle
    Free Member

Last year’s. The lantern inside was amazing!
    (quite a triumph given that, at 14, I was the oldest there…)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘snowed in? lets have an igloo competition’ is closed to new replies.