Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Snowdon walkerists, friendly bunch huh?
  • D0NK

(This had ended up a long post apologies, skip to the last para if you want) Went up snowdon on Saturday, only second time I’ve been and it was much busier than last time, going up llanberis trail, loads of walkers across the trail having a natter not noticing us coming up behind even with “excuse me”s and ringing our bells, slightly tiresome but no easily forgiveable, nothing to get worked up about. When they do hear you turn and see you then carry on blocking the trail is a bit more bothersome, or more amusing when they all shuffle around sideways and end up stil blocking the trail, ho hum. Nope it got worse. I was climbing well and later pushing but forging on at a good pace, sun was out, a bit chilly but we’re out in a glorious bit of country side doing what we love, so a cheery “good morning” and “hard work isn’t it?” Got a few replies, a few ignored me but a significant minority scowled or tutted. Woman with a dog proper blanked me, mate further behind also a dog owner so said something to her about the mutt, whatever it is dog owners chat about, she blanked him too.

Got worse on the way down, the top section was heaving so we took it easy we’d see people walking up a 10m section of tech stuff so wait at the top, next group behind would see us waiting but enter the section anyway, and he next group and the next. Would take us a few seconds to clear the section but had to wait ages for some nice walkers to let us through. On another bit it looked like we were good to go, just a group of 4 walkers stood chatting right near the end so we chanced it, sure enough as we approached they took a step to the side (1 step, either direction was fine) except for 1 lady who stood stock still in the middle of the trail, tricky approach but I could see she wasn’t for moving so I braked and stopped in front of her but no where to put my foot down so fell sideways. It was a protracted fall so took a while and I could hear her yelping “oh shit oh shit oh shit” I felt like looking up and saying “chill out I’m not going to land on you, just trying not to hurt myself here” She had a moan, was going to argue the case (I wasn’t going fast and had stopped in time) but figured I was onto a loser. Further down rangers I passed a couple said “hi one more rider behind me”, wide section and they stood aside so plenty of room, bit further down another group say “your mates crashed” so I stop, “yep he nearly took out that couple” I mention the wide space, cautious rider and I’d bet he wasn’t actually very close. sure enough my mate confirmed he was a good distance from the couple but this group wanted to make out it was a near miss. Further on more people sat in the 3′ wide trench that is the trail, it’s a tricky corner I fancy riding it my mate was going to be walking it anyway so goes ahead asks if these people are ok and is it ok if we ride through, everyone’s fine, a lady shuffles her bum about 6 inches and they continue to sit blocking 80% of the trail. Some nice grass either side of the trail for them to sit on, as other walkers are doing while they rest, not these guys tho, they stay put. Another couple further down grunt at both of us presumably having issues with us riding within 6′ of their dog (off the lead naturally)

I guess I do tend to stay away from honeypot trails normally but that was without doubt the most oppressive ride I’ve been on, so much grumpiness, don’t get me wrong there were some cheery folks up there who we chatted to but there were a lot of people blanking us and a hardcore who presumably just hated cyclists. Does snowdon have a lot of problems with rider/rambler interaction? Were we just unlucky? Or is it the usual once in a while countryside users turning up and not wanting to share? Will be thinking carefully about timing next time I go, wasn’t exactly a sunny bank holiday weekend tho, that must be hell (but I guess all BHs fall within the ban anyway) was a chilly day and the top was still covered in snow I was in a great mood, dead chilled out, relaxed and patient, more so than usual I’d say, but still had problems. Is it often like this?

glupton1976
    Free Member

You had me on your side until you used the word “natch” ….

D0NK

Any better 😉

IanMunro
    Free Member

I only got as far as ‘walkerist’ 😀

tomd
    Free Member

It’s probably to do with it being so busy and lots of occasional users, as you said. It can be more fun to wait until mid afternoon and go up, then on the way down there should be almost no one coming up.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Went up snowdon on Saturday

There’s your first mistake.
    Don’t blame the players,blame the game.

mattbenson1
    Free Member

I’ve been up once and it was pretty quiet. What time of day were you riding it? Think we did it when you have to be off the mountain by 9am so it was ok. Not many people around at 6am 😆

D0NK

It can be more fun to wait until mid afternoon and go up

probably what I’d do next time, couldn’t have done that this time tho and last wkend before the ban so went when we could. we set off at 8:30 (would have been 8 but sat nav issues) but as we went over maesgwm (sp?) it was 12ish when we hit the top. Busy trails I can handle (if I’m stupid enough not to avoid them) it’s arsey trail users I object to.

Speshpaul

Is someone is going to say it?

project
    Free Member

There are other hils in Wales, and snowdon is there and open 24 hrs a day.

tomd
    Free Member

I was lucky enough to only pass happy / neutral hill walkers all weekend. Even have an elderly Irish gentleman cheer us on, exclaiming “jeezzuz god almighty I have never seen a mountain bike up a mountain…good luck ta youz!!!”

TooTall
    Free Member

So you went up a real magnet walkers trail at the peak time of the day/week where few cyclists go – and those who do usually go for early morning / late evening – and, well, you got some grief. They aren’t used to you – I’ve been up there 5 times and never seen a bike.
    Pretty much your own daft fault.

Junkyard
    Free Member

see what happens when you ride when i cannot …that will teach you 😉

nutsnvolks
    Free Member

Say what??

The VOLUNTARY ban doesn’t come into effect til may 1st I don’t think!

I went up last year in February, it was cracking day and as such was very busy, on the llanberis path at least! We had no real problems with walkers, most were chatty and the few that we passed on the rangers on the way down were all friendly enough and just stood by as we went past!

Vid here…..

D0NK

pretty much your own daft fault

what so its ok to be arsey to people coz they’re different to you? Whats the big deal with bikes? Not expecting it to be quite that busy was naive of me, I’ll take that on the chin, I’ve already said the crowds weren’t what was bothering me.

Tomd yeah some of the nice walkers were saying stuff like that 🙂

Junkyard yeah sorry mate, last chance saloon, thought we’d sneak it in before the ban.

Nutsnvolks pretty much what we had last march, did look like being a dodgy day but turned out to be a blinder

aa
    Free Member

i walked up snowdon the saturday before and had a friendly exchange with a couple of mtb’ers. I’d have even opened a gate if there was one…..

takisawa2

At least you picked the right day.
    We walked up today. Weather was diabolical, verging on dangerous up top & coming back down the Rangers. Wind was very strong, & horizontal sleet / rain all the way up & down. We must have been mad.

Passed a few hardy souls pushing bikes up. Total respect to the guy on the rigid Salsa Fargo. Shame the cafe was shut, as they looked like they needed a cuppa.

D0NK

Aa loads of walkers and not a single one anywhere near the few gates on rangers, ho hum.

b45her
    Free Member

i’d have gone for the barreling down the hill at a thousand miles per hour sideways and on fire approach, it’s amazing how many people will jump out of the way when they know you couldn’t stop withut hitting them even if you tried 😛

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Sorry but they have priority and if they want to have a sit down they can. And they still dont “get” bikes up mountains. A sunny weekend during peak hour is asking for conflict sorry. Best to go up late afternoon when they’ve mostly gone down for tea. Better luck next time.

Mugboo

We did it on 1st April last year on a beautiful, sunny Sunday and met nothing but friendly folk. We even rode the top section by being patient. Fingers crossed, you were just unlucky..

D0NK

Sorry but they have priority

priority? Thought we were all legitimate mountain users (thank you stw) with equal rights

and if they want to have a sit down they can

of course but sitting on the narrow trail is obstructing other priority users aswell, that’s just inconsiderate to all not just mtbers, pretty sure if I sat with my bike blocking the trail walkers would have a right go at me.

Better luck next time

i hope so too 🙂 will try to time it better

beicmynydd
    Free Member

The mountain haste been covered in snow for weeks so there are loads of people who have been waiting for nice weather to do it. Saturday afternoon is not the best time best to wait until the end of day.
    Been up loads of times but have never had any problems.

maxtorque

I’ve pretty much concluded that a lot of walkers are misserable because it takes soooo bl**dy long to get anywhere on foot, especially when the weathers not brilliant!

That cold damp, but short, 15min route on your MTB requires them to trudge along for about an hr to do, so no wonder they are in a poor mood!

D0NK

Been up loads of times but have never had any problems.

good to hear (and mugboo and others) guess our ride just coincided with an unusually high % of grumps

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Buzz is right. They have priority. Cyclists muct give way to walkers and horse riders on bridle ways.

brooess
    Free Member

The ban was put in place for a reason. Ok, so you weren’t breaking it as it doesn’t start will next week, but this time of year, Snowdon is going to be rammed, especially as it was under full winter conditions over Easter.
    Popular tourist walking routes and barrelling down on a bike don’t mix… when I’m walking I;m usually enjoying the peace and quiet and being able to bimble a bit – fast bikers kind of spoil that IME.

Shame if you had a crappy time, but I think your timing wasn’t the best.

aa
    Free Member

for the purpose of balance, i did meet some miserable bastard walkers…..

D0NK

Re the priority user thing, I do know the give mtbers way to pretty much everyone else bit but how do you give way to people stood still or travelling in same direction blocking the trail?

convert

priority? Thought we were all legitimate mountain users (thank you stw) with equal rights

The fact that this is news to you might be an excellent pointer as to why you had a rubbish time with lots of negativity and others (inc. me in the past) have had a great time without issue. Walkers know they have right of way over you but are frequently happy to yield and wave you happily on your way so you can make progress if your body language and “first contact” suggests they are doing you a favour – which by rights they are.

This is exactly the same on every high volume bridleway in the country.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

It’s the Llanberis path. The sun was out. What did you expect?

soobalias
    Free Member

there is such a conflict of interests we have agreed a voluntary ban!

and you thought it would be ok on a saturday. niave.

partly because i hate people, but i avoid trail centres at weekends and or school holidays and plenty of rarely used local trails on a sunday afternoon, moreso if its sunny.

D0NK

you can make progress if your body language and “first contact” suggests they are doing you a favour – which by rights they are.

what I was endeavouring to do, a smile, a nod, “hello”, “hard work isn’t it?” if they look tired etc some just did not seem to appreciate us being there.

what did you expect

a whole bunch of people managing to act like adults out having fun and manage to get along ok….? It’s not like its a Monday morning commute*

and you thought it would be ok on a saturday. niave.

already said that up there (and I may have spelt naive a little better, if autocorrect can be trusted 😉 )

*still being hopelessly naive you’ll note

marka.
    Free Member

There’s a difference between “right of way” and “priority”. Walkers and cyclists have equal “rights” on bridleways, but walkers have priority.

(A general note, not aimed at anyone in particular, but misinterpretation can cause aggravation for walkers and cyclists alike.)

D0NK

there is such a conflict of interests we have agreed a voluntary ban!

fair point, I’d assumed that was down to mere numbers rather than everyone ignoring wheaton’s law

Mark a thanks for the clarification, duly noted, still have concerns on how some view this, as I mentioned. Ie people being wilfully obstructive

Junkyard
    Free Member

Walkers know they have right of way over you but are frequently happy to yield and wave you happily on your way so you can make progress if your body language and “first contact” suggests they are doing you a favour – which by rights they are.

Frequently happy to so I assume some are frequently unhappy to and dont?
    As for body language tbh I dont really know what you mean some folk ar ejust grumpy and dont like bikers
    Its just like roads we all need to be nice and when you meet folk who dont help/cooperate it is a pain be they cars walkers or bikes on shared use paths/roads

soobalias
    Free Member

still time for an edit, but cba

mark90
    Free Member

I get a similar response from cyclists (and walkers and horse riders) I encounter on BOATS when I’m driving car/quad/motorbike.

Folks are strange. They don’t like sharing spaces or to see people enjoying themselves, especially if doing anything different to them.

singletrackbiker
    Free Member

Have done Snowdon Llanberis descent a couple of times. Set off by 9am from the top & had no issues. Generally don’t see many people at all & usually on the lower slopes. Interestingly, the early starters (those nearer the top as begin descent) seem more bike friendly. There’s always the occasional walker (or group) that will be as obtuse as possible. I just view as they’re pi$$ed that we’re having more fun than they are, but they wouldn’t have the balls to attempt.

fergal
    Free Member

Yeah I was a grumpy pants, to a group of motorcyclists on the Garburn pass, I was running they tried to make conversation, I blanked them, as in my opinion they just ruin the experience for everyone else, did feel bad though, as they are legally entitled to ride there, but some users are just plain selfish in my book.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Snowdon walkerists, friendly bunch huh?’ is closed to new replies.