• This topic has 26 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Pook.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Snowdon Ranger Path
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Thinking of heading up there this weekend.

Any tips?
    Is it mostly downhill? Worth taking a full face or not? Whats the best way up thinking of doing a 2 van trick from Llanberris for the up

Cheers

mikewsmith
    Free Member

obviously hit the death touch on this one

bump?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Is it mostly downhill

Yes, mostly. Apart from the uphill bit

Worth taking a full face or not

Depends if you think you might fall off (ie how hard you ride it)

Whats the best way up

ride and push from Llanberis

thinking of doing a 2 van trick from Llanberris

eh?

shindiggy
    Free Member

Depending on the bike and fitness of the rider about two thirds to there quarters of the uphill.from llanberis is Rideable. If not it’s a long push and hike. There is no van to the top.

mk1fan
    Free Member

At the bottom of the Ranger there’s another hill on the right – it faces the Ranger Path. If you push up the footpath – it’s a right turn after a gate – and over the top it takes you to Telegraph Hill which will take you back down into Llanberis.

It’s clear on an OS map.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ah confused now, the map I just looked at shows the ranger path as what I knew as the tourist path, thought it went to Rhyd Ddu.

Whats the best (mentalist) way down these days

davesmate
    Free Member

Have you checked the weather conditions? It’ll be bloody cold up there with a fair bit of snow/ice at this time of year I’d imagine.

It’s on my “to do” list for this year but I think I’ll leave it til it warms up a bit!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

no van to the top but you can get a frontera up there I heard

steviepcommencal
    Free Member

Now, I’m not going to claim to know too much about this but….

It will be a long slog up and I don’t think there is any way of doing it with cars. I wouldn’t try gettin.g up using the pyg or miner tracks as there are lots of steps and some climbing.

When we walked it there were some guys on beefy downhill bikes, they wore full face, they would be good just to keep the wind off your head

Enjoy!

mr_mills
    Free Member

It’ll be damn cold at the top. It’s worth searching youtube for vids of the Rangers to get an idea what it’s like. There are loads.

mrh86

Went up last weekend and conditions were perfect 🙂

we started at rangers station. went up the zigzags, over into the next valley (BW descends towards llanberis). Then up llanberis path and all the way back down rangers to the station

carlos
    Free Member

Its all downhill once your at the sumit.

Maybe worth it, if you have one. Never bothered about it as don’t have one.

Ride up from Llanberis, ride down Rangers.

No need for 2 vans, hang a right up the steep grass and back down telegraph alley back to Llanberis.

Tips – Check the weather, Take extra clothing, BE prepared to turn back if its bad and your not at the top,

mikewsmith
    Free Member

1st time on the tourist path we turned back when it became unridable due to snow, since a spell in the lakes, at least it will be daylight when riding through whatever – perspective on the weather has changed a bit due to better kit and mental friends. How bad can it be…… cant be as bad as top of some lakes peaks in snow

kayak23

Did it with 5 others weekend just gone. Beautiful weather. Pushed and rode up llanberis path and down rangers and telegraph alley.

Good descent but be mindful of Walkers, smile and slow down. Push up to telegraph alley is a little of a git, but short. Nice day out.

JohnnyPanic

How bad can it be…… cant be as bad as top of some lakes peaks in snow

Seriously? What on earth makes you think the weather is automatically better in Wales at 3000ft than in the lakes at 3000ft?

And…

steviepcommencal ? How unlkely is that? My name is also Stevie P & I own a Commencal. Have i had this conversation with you on ‘another’ forum 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

lol

Seriously? What on earth makes you think the weather is automatically better in Wales at 3000ft than in the lakes at 3000ft?

more same s*** different area at least it wont be 9pm and dark with prospect of the pub shutting (hopefully)

steviepcommencal
    Free Member

Steve, yep, it is i!

However, don’t have the commie anymore, got a nomad now

Can’t work out how to change my username!

numbnuts
    Free Member

Have you seen the snow forcast for this weekend.If you get your nav wrong from the summit you will head straght over a 400ft cliff. Head to cyb youl have more fun and survive to tell the tail

JohnnyPanic

‘Waves’ at spc 🙂

Can’t work out how to change my username!

PM to Iain or mc.

Nomad huh? a downgrade then.

chrisdw
    Free Member

No snow there at the moment! We had maybe a week or 2 of fairly light snow. All gone now tho!

Might find a few patches of ice however. As long as its a nice day, you’d be fine with just an extra fleece, hat, and gloves on the top. If its not so nice don’t bother take a bigger rucksack with waterproofs and warm stuff.

Its a good ride tho. Coming down Llanberis path is a pretty good descent too, but doing a loop is always nicer. Watch out for the drainage ditches on telegraph valley. Vertical slate isn’t tyre or rim friendly.

JohnnyPanic

Vertical slate isn’t tyre or rim friendly.

Hmm, indeed, Back in October (and near the end of the waterbars) I had 2 pinch flats within 100 yds. The second one was not on a waterbar. Must say something about my technique.

lowey

Mike… Well worth doing before you head to warmer climes….

Park Ranger station, Push up Zig zigs to the left turn and head on the bW to the top of Telegraph Valley. Fast long steady downhill with plenty of water bar jumps all the way into Llanberis. Grab a brew and a bite to eat at Pete’s, then ascend to the summit up the tourist track. At summit, you can then take Ranger ALL the way to Ranger Station.

Its a stunning technical descent and one you should deffo consider before you leave.

Have fun mate… get me on fb if you need any more info.

When you thinking of doing it ?

martinhutch

Sounds OKish at present, but snow/ice conditions are important – trying to push up an iced ‘killer convex’ on the Llanberis track would be an interesting experience.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1653

Due to get colder and windier this weekend, I believe. I’d certainly be taking a shell jacket and some extra warm gear.

martinhutch

Though the webcams suggest that the mountain is pretty much bare, so perhaps this is the best opportunity you’ll get this winter.

chiefP
    Free Member

Here it is as of Monday (16th) thanks to Sam for the video

Weather looks pants this weekend though

Saturday

Staying cloudy with extensive hill fog and outbreaks of rain or showers at times with snow on summits. Strong, gale force northwesterly winds and feeling colder than previous days, with a freezing level of 700 m.

Sunday

Very similar to Saturday with gale foce northwesterly winds, extensive cloud and hill fog, and some rain or showers at times, falling as snow on summits. Freezing level 700 m.

hillmanimp
    Free Member

We were heading up this weekend but have postponed it as the weather says gale force winds, fog, low freezing point and snow/sleet.

Although, I was just going to post a linky and its improved dramatically from what it was earlier today. The freezing point has risen from 1300ft to 2300ft and its only snow at the summit.

Still says fog and gale force winds. Have made other plans now anyhow.

Pook

gots me a video about here somewhere. Ranger comes about half ways through… 3.25m

[video]http://vimeo.com/13904646[/video]

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Snowdon Ranger Path’ is closed to new replies.