Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Snowdon on a Hardtail: Am I a Massive Idiot ?
  • shmuk
    Free Member

Well, am I? (My wife would probably say Yes without even factoring in the Snowdon thing…)

I did Snowdon several years ago, up & down the Llanberis track, on a Santa Cruz Heckler.

Nowadays I ride a Ragley hardtail, one of the modern breed of ‘hardcore hardtails’.

I fancy doing Snowdon again this year, this time up the Llanberis and back down the Ranger, linking back to Llanberis town from the bottom of the Ranger path.

Would this be unbearable without rear suspension?

Any advice from experience welcome …

Cheers.

2hottie
    Free Member

I’m looking to do have a go at the same route this year on a HT. I am certain you’ll be fine.

MTFU.

S.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Not sure if it will be unbearable, but I’ll tell you on april 29th.

I don’t own any of that full suspension gayness. So will be doing it hardtail.

A friend who’s coming with us last rode snowdon in 1991, on a kona cinder cone rigid with cantis.

I suggest you MTFU.

bentos
    Free Member

Done both rangers and Llanberis on a hardtail. Makes it more fun!

grumm
    Free Member

It will be fine of course – it would just be more fun on full suss and you won’t go as fast 😉

ir_bandito
    Free Member

there’s a video kicking around the tinternet of someone (quite good) riding the Ranger path on a Ragley. Worth hunting down…

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I might just do it on the Dialled instead of the Five to prove a point in April. 😉

mmb
    Free Member

nah you’ll be ok, i’ll be doing it on a fully rigid ss as soon as i get the chance, i expect there’ll be a fair amount of pushing up and standing up on the way down tho!.

legend
    Free Member

F*ck it, I’m gonna do it on a rigid fixie with skinny bars and jeans just to show you all how manly I am!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“Nowadays I ride a Ragley hardtail, one of the modern breed of ‘hardcore hardtails'”

Gggrrrr

I dont own a modern breed of hardcore hardtail only a light weight hardtail circa 2000 and that made it up to the top of snowdon and back without snapping.

The beauty of modern marketing and massaging peoples egos so they feel that a ‘hardcore hardtail’ makes them more of a man.

dave360

you’ll be fine. done it back in da day on my Pace RC300 with Sub fork.
    It was so windy that day I could have flown it like a kite.

A lot more fun on the susser it has to be said

flyingmonkeycorps

That’s NOTHING. I’m so rad and gnar that I went up and down Snowdon without even TAKING a bike.

ir_bandito
    Free Member
    yunki
    Free Member

the only truly manly way to ride Snowdon..

I’ll be riding it on my HT soon.. mainly because I only have a HT.. only ever had an HT.. and unless I win the loddery.. I will only ever have a HT..

iwluap

I’m with supersessions9-2. Rode Snowdon back in ’90 or ’91 in the snow on a first generation Kona Kilauea, fully rigid with Project II forks and canties. Mind you, when it got hairy (when the snow clung to the brake blocks and froze to the point of uselessness) it was good to be able to throw yourself into a bank of snow to slow down.

In summary, eminently do-able!

rustler
    Free Member

Would one of those old two-man lever propelled railway carts fit on the railway track ? That could be fun.

chakaping
    Free Member

I might just do it on the Dialled instead of the Five to prove a point in April.

When you going? We’re doing it first Monday in April.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I believe on the Dialled Bikes website there is a really good looking guy at the top of Snowdon holding his hardtail up in the air.

Oh yeah, here he is:

I think the good looking guy rode it down the rangers path after the picture was taken.

Wozza
    Free Member

2hottie – Member
    I’m looking to do have a go at the same route this year on a HT. I am certain you’ll be fine.

MTFU.

S.

Scott, MTFU and get on with your dissertation. If i catch you on here this month again, i’ll tell officer Grundy who will MTF-You-Up into next week.

Fond regards, your brother.

To answer the OP, yeah you’ll be fine.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Yes, you will obviously die, it is physically impossible. Large UK mountains didnt exist when HT was the only option, they have been developed to be ridden since the introduction of FS bikes.

Sorry….go for it and have fun!

ads-b
    Free Member

A sensible question- just had a look on you tube and without wanting to sound to much like a wally, it doesnt look particularily testing. Looks fast and flat. So is it just the video angles making it look less technical and steep, or is it really no worse than a singletrack decent at any other trail centre?

The reason I ask is a non biking friend of mine suggested it, but for all that hard work I would want something quite challenging on the way down (i.e. downhill course, rather than fast singletrack).

Whats it actually like….?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

F*ck it, I’m gonna do it on a rigid fixie with skinny bars and jeans just to show you all how manly I am!

Before or after your frappawappachino? I’m assuming you’ll be taking your new fangle-phone so you can blog it as well. 😉

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

ads-b – believe me, the rangers path is not fast and flat. Steep and techy – very good fun.

legend
    Free Member

Before or after your frappawappachino? I’m assuming you’ll be taking your new fangle-phone so you can blog it as well.

hellz yeah, already got my ‘riding down snowdon’ app!

xiphon
    Free Member

Finally you can justify the ‘hardcore’ title of your bike!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

hellz yeah, already got my ‘riding down snowdon’ app!

😆

slowrider
    Free Member

Ive ridden rangers on short travel fs, long travel fs, in the middle fs and long travel hard tail. It’s a great fun trail regardless and I can only think of two brief rock gardens where a long travel fs had a significant advantage for carrying speed through. Have a goodun and savour it, it’s over waaaaaay too quick!

Duke
    Free Member

I just pulled a chunk out of my thumb ‘hardcoring up’ the bouncy bike with a bashguard for said Snowdon action on April 29th. Not sure what good it will do but it matches the crank arms which is the important thing.

yunki
    Free Member

your chunk of thumb matches your crank arms..?
    ace.. I want some… where do you get bloody stump coloured crank arms..?

qwerty
    Free Member

ponngoe
    Free Member

done it three times on a hardtail, piece of piss

deep_river
    Free Member

Once a long long time ago, before everyone started wearing body armour and full face helmets to ride around their local woods, full suspension was just a dream!

Yet some people still rode ‘proper’ offroad! There are rumours that people went up Snowdon with 35lb bikes that cost less than £100 from Halfords and didnt even have front suspension!

Just think eh!

Bloomin youth of today! Bring back national service! 🙂

crazymoon
    Free Member

this thread makes me feel better doing it on my HT in march. just hope the weather holds up!

HT for life!

Andyhilton
    Free Member

I’ve done Snowdon on my old Prophet and last year on my Stiffee. You’ll be fine. Just MTFU.

cynic-al
    Free Member

OP I’ve not read the thread but IMO you are an idiot for posting it.

adstick
    Free Member

ride what you brung…

Personally I’d be riding an FS, but that’s because I like FS bikes. I’m sure it’s ridable and fun on a hardtail, though I suspect a lot of this HT bravado is an excuse for mincing down. 😉

Andyhilton
    Free Member

I didn’t mince. It was all about the agressive xxxc.

rad to the power of sick man.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Snowdon on a Hardtail: Am I a Massive Idiot ?’ is closed to new replies.