Viewing 13 posts - 121 through 133 (of 133 total)
  • Snowdon, anyone fancy it?
  • johnnygooner
    Free Member

Looking at maps, street view etc, think parking in the car park at Rhyd Ddu and riding the couple of miles to the start of the rangers path is probably gonna be preferred so I’ll see you there at 10 Darkside

grum
    Free Member

The unsettled and very windy theme continues, with frequent blustery showers pushing in from the Irish Sea throughout the day. Some of the showers could be heavy and thundery, and merge into bands of showers at times. Upland gales throughout the day, perhaps reaching storm force across the highest summits and ridges at times.

johnnygooner
    Free Member

Yeah, thanks for that grum. I’ve got one eye on the Met Office forcast but I’m still gonna go. Its not like they never get it wrong!!! I’ll take a view when I’m there and if it’s not on there’s always Coed y Brenin/The Marin/Penmachno etc but realisticly, I’d sort of expect ‘weather’. It is North Wales in late October!

snaps
    Free Member

First Monday in October when we did it a couple of years ago.

chrism110
    Free Member

i’ll also get there for 10 , does anyone have a postcode?

Dark-Side

Great stuff. I’ll be in a silver Volvo V50 with a Yeti SB95. Should we share mobile numbers etc… Via email?

johnnygooner
    Free Member

Chrism110 if you enter Rhyd Ddu into google maps it’ll take you there. Other navigational aides are available!! The car park is on the A4085 south of the junction with the B4418. It’s no more than 2 miles away from the start of the Rangers path.

Darkside email me on j[underscore]calvert[at]sky[dot]com Pesky spam bots!! Not even sure if that does any good but I’m sure you can work that out

Weather not looking great but I’m defo still going and I’ll take a view once there

chrism110
    Free Member

ok thanks johnny ,me and a mate will be in a silver peugeot 308 estate. I’m also going what ever the weather

Dark-Side

Well, four of us braved the very windy wind yesterday and decided to stick to the plan and tackle Snowdon. A rather unconventional route took us up Ranger Path (not by design I hasten to add) dodging the boulder bags as we went. As we got further up it became increasingly evident that the wind was going to make descending Ranger Path foolhardy at best. We got to within spitting distance of the summit and collectively decided that enough was enough, we weren’t going any further. A decision reinforced by the fact our bikes were actually being blown off the ground and visibility dropped to a few metres regularly. The wind was so bad walkers were actually lying on the path for fear of being blown over, it really was nuts.

We descended Llanberis path, which was great fun as the number of walkers were at a minimum, the one silver lining of a very grey cloud. Regularly we were blown off line even further down the hill, it created a good few hairy moments and confirmed our decision not to ride Ranger Path as the correct one. We got to the bottom of Llanberis, realised we should have come across Telegraph valley and unanimously decided that getting a taxi around to Rhyd Du was a more palatable notion than riding for another couple of hours. After a £48(!!!!!!!!!!!!!) cab ride we collected the cars, drove back around to Llanberis to collect Chrism110 (who had been charged with looking after the bikes in Llanberis whilst the three drivers collected the cars) and departed in agreement that whilst the ride had been very tough, at times very intimidating and rather expensive with the unplanned cab ride, we had an adventure in the very truest sense.

Thanks to Johnny, Chris and Lawrence for the great company.

IMG_1171 by chrisjohnlawson, on Flickr][/url][/url]
    IMG_1171 by chrisjohnlawson, on Flickr[/img]

jekkyl

Excellent stuff, glad to see you committed, it’s all the experience, whatever the conditions.

chrism110
    Free Member

can’t believe how close we got! it was still a very good day and and one i won’t forget.
    thanks to darkside & johnny for a great ride and next time we will make it to the summit!

johnnygooner
    Free Member

Agree with everything said so far. Although we probably pushed/carried for as much as we rode it was a most excellent adventure! The spirit it was entered into was also what made it and all of us should take a pat on the back for that. I dont think I’ve ever been out in such a foul conditions!

The summit is there somewhere!!

robj20
    Free Member

You gave up there? You only had a couple of hundred meters to go. 😀

Viewing 13 posts - 121 through 133 (of 133 total)

The topic ‘Snowdon, anyone fancy it?’ is closed to new replies.