Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)
  • snowdon
  • jedi

Rode and hiked up to snowdon. Telegraph alley was fun and the rangers path descent was worth the effort for sure.if you haven’t done it,put it on your to do list

iolo
    Free Member

Nice, When? Did Telegraph puncture you?

mintimperial

Good, innit? 😀

Have they finished the work on the Ranger path yet?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Noted. Nice photo yesterday. My problem isn’t putting things on my to-do list it’s ticking them off !

jedi

Telegraph was so fast and loads of jumping water bars.rangers was an awesome rock fest. No one punctured B-)

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Yup. ‘Tis good.

jedi

Machynlleth today was fun too. Riding cnicht from the map tomorrow

cnud
    Free Member

Rangers – That last section of rocks before it goes gravelly, some proper comedy moments on there.

jedi

Machynlleth today was fun too. Riding cnicht from the map tomorrow

_tom_
    Free Member

Has the voluntary cycling ban for Snowdon ended now then? If so I might head over to ride next week then, been wanting to ride it again for ages!

makkag
    Free Member

Not ended just got to do it at the right time of day.

Where in Mach did you ride Tony ? Did you get the Climach decent in ?

maxtorque

Still somehow got Snowdon on my list “To Do” list. Having finally ticked off “La Varda” this year, i need to try to do The Rangers as well 😉

eddie11
    Free Member

Rode and hiked up to snowdon. Telegraph alley was fun and the rangers path descent was worth the effort for sure.if you haven’t done it,put it on your to do list

everything this man has said is true.

Rode it a few weeks ago on a sunny weekday evening. Its about 2 hours up, one hour down doing llanberis-rangers-telegraph. Walkers all cheery. Met a few mountain bikers at the top and a walker bivi-ing out although he would have been lucky to make it through the night without being eaten by the seagulls.

fathomer

I’m hoping to do it on a couple of weeks as the sun rises on Wednesday morning. Fingers crossed the weather is decent!

Where’s best to park up, Llanberis?

eddie11
    Free Member

Before or after the ban you can park on street in town for free.

grum
    Free Member

Anyone going to answer mintimperial’s question? 🙂

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Absolutely love that rangers / telegraph descent.

D0NK

Anyone going to answer mintimperial’s question?

I was up there couple weeks ago and didn’t seem to have finished, they’re doing work on the very top fixed rock section too 😕

I guess I should tick rhyd ddu off aswell at some point, how does that compare?

grum
    Free Member

Cheers. Still worth doing? How does it compare to Warnscale?

D0NK

Cheers. Still worth doing?

definitely

How does it compare to Warnscale?

fairly well, not as technical, tho there are still a couple of pretty tasty sections. Only had to walk 1 little section with a big step last time, the repair work has made a couple of the zig zags easier.
    8pm on a nice sunny evening is a great time to do it, almost walker free for us 🙂

grum
    Free Member

Ta.

scandal42
    Free Member

I’m over that way for the 1st week in Sept but I would be on my lonesome, Is it advisable as a solo ride?

jedi

Yeah rode climach trail yesterday. Did a great mapped ride from tan y grigio to garreg today.cyb now even if the cafe wouldn’t serve us food at 4-30 when we got here

julians
    Free Member

I’m wondering if I did the same rangers path & telegraph valley as the rest of you.

Rangers is ‘ok’, but wouldnt make a special trip back to it. Telegraph valley is just a slightly downhill smooth wide gravel path with nothing interesting about it, might as well be on a canal towpath.

jambalaya
    Free Member

“mapped ride” ? do you have a link or was it self sourced ? ta

jedi

Self sourced.

beicmynydd
    Free Member

Julian’s- I disagree the ranger telegraph valley is superb, what are you comparing it to?
    Did you ride the rangers path 100% without dabbing

iolo
    Free Member

Julians, are you sure you were on the same mountain?

D0NK

Telegraph valley is just a slightly downhill smooth wide gravel path with nothing interesting about it, might as well be on a canal towpath.

Not very technical at all, agreed, but how many towpaths do you know that descend 220m in 2.5km? Hyperbole?

Rangers is ‘ok’, but wouldnt make a special trip back to it.

are you one of the people who say “there’s loads better stuff in wales than snowdon” but never actually tell us where? I have only very limited experience of natural trails in wales but they’ve been pretty bloody lame compared to rangers. I know of better stuff in the lakes but llanberis is an easy(ish) up and rangers is a long varied descent, avoid the crowds and it’s pretty decent.

dunmail
    Free Member

TV is a fast, generally non-technical, wide singletrack. There are one or two mildly technical sections but nothing that a modern bike can’t take in its stride. The main hazard is keeping your speed down when going through the old buildings and there’s a gate ahead! (there used to be, don’t know if there still is).

It’s better than the alternative of riding round on the road from The Ranger to Llanberis though the bottom zig-zags down to the pub are nice to ride.

jedi

I dont care how easy or hard the trail was. It was something we wanted to do. Sun setting on a blue bird day ride

ooOOoo
    Free Member

ha yeah…it’s actual mountain biking 🙂

dunmail
    Free Member

ha yeah…it’s actual mountain biking

Exactly – it’s not been designed for mountain biking like a trail centre, it just so happens that we ride it. There’s no artificial difficulty here where you know there’s going to be one or more lines through a given section, you may shock horror! have to get off and walk. You may even have to open (and close) a gate though this might be beyond some people’s ability. Hell, you might even notice there’s a view. 🙄

jedi

Riding down with the mountain glowing red as the sun set was amazing and sharing it with my mates made it special

D0NK

Hell, you might even notice there’s a view.

it’s wales, 50/50 chance the view will be of the inside of cloud 🙂

ooOOoo
    Free Member

That sounds very sweet. No view when we did it as a storm closed in and the wind was pushing us uphill. Still enjoyed the bleak beauty of it though.

julians
    Free Member

Did you ride the rangers path 100% without dabbing

No, there were lots of dabs,I’m no mountain biking hero, just didnt think it was all that much fun.I’m not trying to say its boring, or too easy, or imply my skills are immense (they are certainly not), just didnt like it much.

Julians, are you sure you were on the same mountain?

I am wondering if I was.

are you one of the people who say “there’s loads better stuff in wales than snowdon” but never actually tell us where?

Thought llanberis down was much more fun than rangers, maybe its just not my thing. For me its not about whether a trail is hard or easy for me, its whether its fun,whether I enjoy it, didnt find rangers or TV much fun.

Maybe Rangers was too hard for me? TV certainly wasnt too hard.

D0NK

fair enough personal preference, sorry thought you were poo pooing all of snowdon. I’ve done trails beyond my skill level that I didn’t like and some that I really enjoyed, likewise some “easy” trails can be good others a bit meh, fun is hard to define sometimes.

Wouldn’t mind giving llanberis a go but looks a bit tame for the most part, think it would have to be a second run down with rangers or rhyd ddu as the first, gonna have difficulty getting mates to join me in 2 ascents of snowdon tho 😯

avoiding crowds would probably be quite difficult too.

rhid

I agree with julians, I much prefer the Llanberis path to the rangers. Don’t know why, just do.

jambalaya
    Free Member

it’s wales, 50/50 chance the view will be of the inside above of cloud

@D0NK
    fify

@jedi couldn’t agree more, re: self sourced will get the maps out the weekend and do some research with a beverage in hand. Planning a trip and want to have a couple of days riding with Snowden and Cadr Idris as part of the mix. They are on my 50 things for my 50th list.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘snowdon’ is closed to new replies.