Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Snowdon.
  • james0706
    Free Member

Hi, me and my mate was thinking of going up, then down Snowdon on our bikes in early June. But looking on the internet we don’t know what trails we can use and can’t. We wanted to reach the top. So what trail take, what things to take, wear etc. Oh and we are on hardtails, good idea ?

gravity-slave
    Free Member
    orangefatlad
    Free Member

A few things:
    There’s a voluntary bike ban from April to Sept, I think this is only between 10:00 and 18:00, so you could choose to do it early/late one day.
    Most ppl go up the Llanberis path (runs next to the train track), and then either come down the Llanberis or the Rangers-telegraph valley-Llanberis route. I’d suggest a bit more research and an O/S map.
    The weather can change rapidly (it did when we did it recently), nice weather at the bottom and snow at the peak is not uncommon although not sure in June. Plenty of clothes, Waterproof jacket, base layers, good gloves, the usual stuff!
    We did it on F/S, but you can certainly do it on H/T, might not be quite as quick but still alot of fun 😀

james0706
    Free Member

How long does it take to actually get to the top ?

crotchrocket
    Free Member

2.5 to 3 hours, roughly.

then depending on route/competance 15 mins to 2 hours to get off

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

I went up Snowdon by bike with my brother early July a couple of years back.

We went for the get up very early & back down before 10am option. Having set out around 5:30am we hit the summit around 8am via the Llanberis path, probably spending about 20 minutes at the top.

Visibility at the top was less than 5 meters when we were there which made navigation tricky.

We were back down to the car by 9:30 – took the Llanberis path down, would have gone for the Ranger path if weather had been better.

Take a waterproof even if the weather looks good.

james0706
    Free Member

So where about do you start, and are the trails all sign posted and easy to follow ?

Mugboo

We did it April 1st in glorious sunshine 😀

Parked in Llanberis.

Cycled past the railway. Turned up a tarmac path which quickly becomes a steep hill, and then a gravelly track. This takes you all the way to the top.

The Rangers path bears of to left on the other side of the railway track as you head back down.

After lots of fun you go through a gate. After this keep your eyes peeled for a short wooden post on the right to indicate the BW back to Llanberis. You’ll know your going the right way if your pushing up a steep, grassy hill!

If you buy a map you’ll soon work it out.

Mugboo

We did it April 1st in glorious sunshine 😀

Parked in Llanberis.

Cycled past the railway. Turned up a tarmac path which quickly becomes a steep hill, and then a gravelly track. This takes you all the way to the top.

The Rangers path bears of to left on the other side of the railway track as you head back down.

After lots of fun you go through a gate. After this keep your eyes peeled for a short wooden post on the right to indicate the BW back to Llanberis. You’ll know your going the right way if your pushing up a steep, grassy hill!

If you buy a map you’ll soon work it out.

As for clothes, its pretty high so be prepared.

Hardtails? Why not.

james
    Free Member

I thought it was 9am-5pm May 1st-September 30th on all 3 bridleways that go to the top, so ‘telegraph valley’ bridleway (ranger station to llanberis, not via snowdon) is not covered by ban
    As above going up could take you 2.5-3 hours, but depending could take 1.5-2hours also
    Either go up and down before 9am (or 10am whichever the ban start time is) or Ive been tempted to push/carry up to get to the summit mid afternoon and descend once the clock strikes 5pm. Though I guess the Llanberis path will likely be covered in tourists. Ranger path might not be so busy

EDIT: Found a link with some info:
    http://www.cyclingnorthwales.co.uk/pages/snowdn_volunt.htm
    Looks like there are 5 bridleways that are affected by the ban. Telegraph valley/bottom of the rangers is fair game so if you were 3/4 way (to the telegraph valley turn off) down the rangers by 9am you’d be within the rules
    And its 10am to 5pm

winrya
    Free Member

Ban is 10-5 guys. Best bet Is to start your climb at 2.30 which gives you chance for a drink at the top before you descend at 5pm.

boltonjon

Do we what we done last November – head up with the clear aim of seeing the sunset up there

Strap your lights on and come down in the pitch black – no tourists and utterly insane 😀

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Snowdon.’ is closed to new replies.