Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Snow – Which bike dilema!!
  • thecrackfox
    Free Member

I'm biking to my work Christmas lunch, and its a touchy snowy outside, so is the singlespeed road bike or geared mtb going to get me there in one piece. Opinions please.

AndyP
    Free Member

singlespeed.

devs
    Free Member

SS mtb!

thecrackfox
    Free Member

SS mtb is an option!!

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

yea SS, then Ur gears wont freeze up like mine did last night ;p

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

If you're riding on the road you might find that the thin roadie tyres cut through the snow better to find grip underneath it?

Bez

MTB. You've got more chance of surviving loss of grip than with a road bike.

thecrackfox
    Free Member

I was considering ss road bike with knee and elbow pads 😕

thecrackfox
    Free Member

Okay, I'm going now, singlespeed mountain bike it is. Cotic Simple with 130mm forks, trailraker 1.95 front and 2.1 rear I'll let you know how it goes. 11 miles on 32:16 could be a little undergeared.

theflatboy
    Free Member

either don't clip in, or use flat pedals – you need to be able to put your feet down quickly!

woffle
    Free Member

what he ^ said – my right foot froze into the pedal on the way to work this morning. Did the whole comedy sideways topple into a snow drift with one foot waving in the air, the other stuck to the bike…

(FTW I'd go geared, little late now though I should imagine)

shortcut

Singlespeed MTB did me a treat when I was riding (briefly) this morning after dropping the car in for service.

It was lovely getting some singletrack riding in before work! 😆 In the snow. Even if was was only for 15 minutes.

Well chuffed!

avdave2

I had to abandon the off road commute this morning after about 20M as I'd sunk to the axles and was going nowhere. I had to resort to the undercliff walk and then ride through town. I was really impressed with the Mud X tyres in the snow and ice, the front wheel drifted away a few times but always gripped again before I found myself on the floor. Didn't dare clip in though

Bez

11 miles on 32:16 could be a little undergeared.

Undergearing not nice on ice. "Death by excessive torque," shall read the coroner's verdict 🙂

yetivaud
    Free Member

It was roadie bike with flat bars, 1×9 gearing for me this morning in the snow. Although the downs made me wish I could fit a set of cross tyres on it though. Great fun though, quite high where we live (910m) so no ice and very dry fluffy snow….. surprisingly grippy.

takisawa2

Roadbike with a Full Face Helmet.

Olly
    Free Member

mud tyres are top in the snow.

SS MTB

thecrackfox
    Free Member

Thank you for all your advice. I went SS MTB with mud tyres and got on remarkably well, well I'm still alive and stayed rubber side down. Interesting SNOW + 32:16 = +15 minutes, compared to NO SNOW + 44:18. Due to the amount of snow that had been compacted on the back roads I think the road bike would have turned turtle with me on board. Incidently the Royal Oak in Helmsley keeps a good pint of Jennings Bitter, unfortunateley no MTBing from Helmsley itself.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Snow – Which bike dilema!!’ is closed to new replies.