• This topic has 49 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by br.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Snow warnings…
  • iainc

the local news yesterday here – Glasgow/Strathclyde was full of yellow and amber snow warnings – school transport for this morning was cancelled throughout much of the Borders.

There was a little dusting of snow and temperatures generally got down just below zero. It is January in Scotland…..

I’m all for caution, but this is becoming more and more of a cry wolf nanny state .. 🙂

br
    Free Member

+1

I live in the Borders, we had a slight dusting.

Probably though connected to last Friday early afternoon when we had 4-5″ of snow within an hour and utter chaos (schools finish at one-ish on a Friday). Loads of crashes, blocked roads, cancelled/delayed buses etc.

I’m the only person at work who has winter tyres on their car (very rural location, along hilly singletrack roads). A couple of mild winters in a row has made folk complacent IMO.

firestarter
    Free Member

Coming down heavy now in Leeds

tiggs121
    Free Member

I teach in the Borders – hardly any kids in – clear roads – decent forecast – parents not happy I suspect!!

As b-r said – last week there was a few incidents including a school bus off the road so maybe the council have played it safe today?

Drac

We had the same warnings for snow overnight. There was little on high ground then a heavier small this am. Remarkably the schools have stated open. Maybe Scotland panics more than London?

rOcKeTdOg

lots of snow at home but the nearer i got to work there was less and less, got to work and everyone is puzzled by the snow on the car. “is that artificial?” i only live 9 miles away but there’s a considerable altitude difference.

ajf
    Free Member

Whereabouts?

Been really looking forward to a bit of snow bit nothing in the centre.

kayla1
    Free Member

Yellow snow warning = don’t eat it!

Amber snow warning = drink more liquid 😆

edit- snow here this morning- chaos ensuing as usual, people abandoning inappropriately-tyred cars by the side of the road and eating each other. Save yourselves!

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Dunblane area had plenty enough snow last night from 6pm till about midnight, then it all froze nicely. It is quite localised though soon as you reach Stirling it is almost gone and from my Edinburgh office I can see Fife hills have a goodly amount too.

Rolling news editors have got to report something 🙄

Kahurangi

You’ve got to cut a little slack sometimes, it’s all got to be based on forecasts hours before the event/non-event.

It was coming down heavy in Newcastle, so would have expected it to be worse up in the Borders.

matt_outandabout

I’m all for caution, but this is becoming more and more of a cry wolf nanny state ..

Stirling Council a couple of weeks ago tweeted and facebooked a warning of fog on the way home – as a WARNING! DRIVE CAREFULLY! tone…. 🙄

woody2000

Yeah, where Mick? Nothing here in Drig! Though looking over towards Leeds/Bfd airport looks pretty white….

franksinatra

Borders here, based on Met office warnings yesterday, Cooncil was well justified in taking the decisions that it did. Just turned out weather wasn’t as bad as forecast.

Classic dammed if you do, dammed if you don’t scenario.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Stirling Council a couple of weeks ago tweeted and facebooked a warning of fog on the way home – as a WARNING! DRIVE CAREFULLY! tone.

A lot of drivers clearly do need telling though.

jakd95
    Free Member

Nothing much in Leeds up near the uni. Just damp with the occasional swirl of it. Nothing’s sticking though, maybe over night?

ads678

I’m over by the White Rose, some came down for about 5 mins but has stopped now!! Glad I’ve got the snow socks in the car……..

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If they don’t give warnings, folk moan like **** too. Can’t win really.

firestarter
    Free Member

Ajf and woody over in East Leeds not settling on roads tho hopefully it will bugger off 🙂

jam-bo

few interesting moments on dartmoor this morning. I think Devon County Council are being a little more frugal with the grit this year…

matt_outandabout

There is a suitable thread for discussing where snow is falling, just to wind up the OP….

Sick of the incessant snow updates

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Reversed off the driveway this morning, and just slid cross the road! (Reading)

Oddly the house didn’t feel cold, usually if it’s that cold outside it struggles to warm up in the hour or so the heatings on for in the morning.

Northwind

TBH most winters I’d have said it was OTT but there’s been so little in central scotland this year and the weather’s been so warm and wet, a bit of extra hysteria was probably reasonable. And yellow warning is just “be aware” after all.

bigjim

a cry wolf nanny state

I think it’s the other way around, they are responding to an increasingly blaming and whiny population complaining via media and social media when a snow flake falls or it rains a bit that they weren’t warned and how it’s such an inconvenience and why didn’t anyone warn them or do anything about it and when will this end and who will compensate us

Whenever it snows now there is a live news team standing in 1cm of snow asking locals if they are angry and if this keeps happening to them every year…

fasthaggis

Fife was frozen this morning,I think they are holding on to the salt until it hits -15 👿
    Very twitchy,hope it’s a bit better going home.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I think it’s the other way around, they are responding to an increasingly blaming and whiny population complaining via media and social media when a snow flake falls or it rains a bit that they weren’t warned and how it’s such an inconvenience and why didn’t anyone warn them or do anything about it and when will this end and who will compensate us

Whenever it snows now there is a live news team standing in 1cm of snow asking locals if they are angry and if this keeps happening to them every year…

This.

We were fortunate enough on Friday to be just near enough to the coast to avoid the snow, but areas 5 miles up the road had a huge amount of snow in a 2 hour period, that wasn’t really forecast – it was forecast for high ground, which the area isn’t.

The amount of folk moaning about the council and emergency services not managing all of the local roads was deafening.

FWIW snow tyres etc weren’t much use as the roads were blocked with jack knifed lorries and abandoned cars.

iainc

matt_outandabout – Member
    There is a suitable thread for discussing where snow is falling, just to wind up the OP….

matt – i started this one really more about the media warnings and the protectionist approach. I quite enjoy the other one 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Given how inept a lot of people are I’d rather not meet the “I have a 4×4 brigade” on a snowy Road spinning all 4 wheels into a ditch.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

See this is the sensationalist headlines that OP was on about.

Snow has been falling out of the sky heavily in Harrogate, but it was that wet, and the temps so high it was never going to cause the slightest of issues 🙄

Of course it doesn’t stop most people thinking we are doomed though

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m all for caution, but this is becoming more and more of a cry wolf nanny state

Or maybe just the inherent uncertainty in weather forecasting technology?

iainc

^^^ I don’t think so. It’s the north of the UK, it’s winter. It snows, it usually does, why are the media making such a big issue about it now when they didn’t do so 5 or 10 yrs ago ?

Not same as the recent flooding, which was properly catastrophic for many and not typical weather in any way, and indeed I think the media did a decent job with that.

I just find it a bit ‘big brotherish’ when we are getting so many snow warnings that don’t lead to much that when/if there is a real risk coming we may have ignored the warning alerts as routine reporting….

firestarter
    Free Member

Hardly sensationalist was it funkydunk esp when followed by not settling on the roads. Tip end

rocketman
    Free Member

Same as everything else these days that involves the slightest threat. It’s called the precautionary principle

It’s a sad indictment of modern society when everyday life becomes an unacceptable risk

prawny

Heavy snow at Cannock Chase this morning at 5.30 this morning, pretty much turned to rain by 6, came in on the road bike with 25c tyres as normal.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s a sad indictment of modern society when everyday life becomes an unacceptable risk

What a load of old bollocks.

richmtb

What use are warnings or forecasts in general when no one takes action

Rode in last Friday on a frosty morning and nowhere in Glasgow had been gritted. A few proper squeaky bum moments on main roads with big icy patches.

Glasgow City council then tweeted this classic:

“Winter has arrived & our gritters will be out treating priority routes from 10am – read our winter maintenance plans”

Yes because no one was travelling to work before 10am that day!

Anyway don’t worry I’m getting all-season tyres fitted on Saturday so a mild snow free winter is all but guaranteed!

IdleJon

iainc – Member

^^^ I don’t think so. It’s the north of the UK, it’s winter. It snows, it usually does, why are the media making such a big issue about it now when they didn’t do so 5 or 10 yrs ago ?

I’ve been assuming that it’s just a way to keep people turning on to news/weather or to to keep them checking the media websites. “It’s an amber warning for wind so keep checking back with us in case it becomes more serious”. Keeps them in a job.

Northwind

fasthaggis – Member

Fife was frozen this morning,I think they are holding on to the salt until it hits -15

That’s all the other weather- usually they lay down salt pretty constantly but in a mild wet winter it all gets washed away so there’s no point. Pretty tricky apparently

molgrips
    Free Member

People still keep going out and getting stuck though. So one can only conclude they still need reminding.

iainc

^^^ yeah, but they are normal folk, we are superior … 🙂

fasthaggis

Pretty tricky apparently

Don’t know why,it was dry all day yesterday and a bit of snow last night,then the temp really dropped.
    So with all the warnings of low temps you would have thought they could have been spreading last night or early this morning. I heard it was more likely down to the recent centralisation of the road services in Fife ,and they just don’t have their act together.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Snow warnings…’ is closed to new replies.