Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • snow snow snow snow….
  • alpin
    Free Member

it’s been -15°C or below for the past week and has been snowing all day here and it is set to carry on snowing all through the week. there was already a good 4″ covering before today. hopefully there will be at least 1′ of snow by the weekend. it’s going to get really (well, for Munich at least) windy, but then on the weekend the temp will rise above 0°C killing off all that lovely snow…. 🙁

i was hoping to get the kite out on the weekend and go fly about the fields…

Smudger666

Was on Skye last week – we were working in bright sunshine (I know, it sounds made up!) at 9.5 degrees C! Superb.

Drac

Now you see -15c over along period is a proper winter, 4″ of snow is almost getting on a good snow fall too.

We’ve had a feeble try at winter up here this year.

molgrips
    Free Member

Bugger. If only we’d had confidence in the German health system we’d still be there and be skiing 🙂

pebblebeach
    Free Member

My wife travelled to Italy yesterday on a coach. Going through Germany it was -17, the suspension froze, the heating stopped working and there was frost inside the bus. Awesome but I’m glad it wasn’t me.

alpin
    Free Member

i’ve swapped out the Revelation for a 29er Surly fork. i thik the oil might have frozen in the lowers.

went out for a short 1 hour ride today. i couldn’t feel my face for ages once i got back into the warmth.

molgrips
    Free Member

Actually that’s not fair.. we’d probably have been ok if we spoke German… 🙁

Alpin – you want some skis, surely?

footflaps

We had quite a nice winter walking WE in the Lake District – was some decent snow and ice on Old Man of Coniston:

Icy path up to Old Man of Coniston by brf, on Flickr

matt_outandabout

Why are you on ice, with crampons on and not holding your axe for arrest?

*is confuzzzled*

Dibbs
    Free Member

My daughter is teaching in Bucharest, they sent everyone home today due to the snow. Looking at the pics she sent, it’s a bit more snow than it would take to bring the UK to halt.

footflaps

I’d only carry the axe in my hand if would be of any use. If you fell on that path you wouldn’t go very far and there are no cliff edges to worry about.

alpin
    Free Member

Alpin – you want some skis, surely?

no Mr Grips… i want snow and wind..! you know those fields that you cross as you leave Haar and head towards Erding…. there. that’s where i’m off to when i have the chance.

[/url] DSCN0182 by sod_the_taxman, on Flickr[/img]

proper biking is out of the question till april-may. i can pootle about around the back of town if i want to.

the Old Man path looks fun! take a pair of ice skates up to the top?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppgw9DHYnbs[/video]

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Where abouts are you talking about?? Somewhere in the uk?

molgrips
    Free Member

you know those fields that you cross as you leave Haar and head towards Erding

So you don’t get arrested for it when there’s snow on the ground?

I_Ache
    Free Member

This looks like you need a snowboard strapped to your feet not skis. Has anybody ever done this with a snowboard? In my head it sounds like a fantastic idea but would probably end up in hospitalisation.

passtherizla
    Free Member

I have done this with my snowboard in sutton park andy! I have also done it being pulled round by my dads landrover in scotland.

alpin
    Free Member

that is with a snowboard!

[/url] DSCN0190 by sod_the_taxman, on Flickr[/img]

[/url] DSCN0191 by sod_the_taxman, on Flickr[/img]

anyway.. there’s now shiiit loads of snow. i don’t think it stopped snowing last night, but there is no wind! arrggh!

@ molgrips… nah. there are plenty of people who go around with nordic skis and besides, it is not as if the farmer has any crops growing…

I_Ache
    Free Member

passtherizla – Member
    I have done this with my snowboard in sutton park andy!

Ha ha quality.

I have an old Kona DJ frame that I keep meaning to build into a snow bike with old skis instead of wheels, that should be fun!

passtherizla
    Free Member

Sounds fricking lethal! I’m a top bodger, if you need any help, and I also double up as a great crash test dummy. an old snowboard cut in half and then turned so the kick is in line with the direction of travel, sounds a little more stable… 😉

I_Ache
    Free Member

Probably would be more stable just thinking skis would be better for turning especially at lower speeds.

Edukator
    Free Member

Still there, Alpin? If not have fun with that kite. I was in Germany last week, the dry cold felt more pleasant than the warmer but damper air at home.

passtherizla
    Free Member

I also have a few really old boards knocking around that were destined to become a bench at some oint that I could donate… they are in scotland though.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘snow snow snow snow….’ is closed to new replies.