Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Snow riding FAIL……
  • marsdenman
    Free Member

so, Isaac and I attempted to escape Marsden yesterday, by riding up Wessenden Valley – TBH we knew that that way lay madness, but we had to give it a shot…..
    Tarmac up to the first res, 'pisted' double track beyond that – looks like the folk that like at the Lodge on the second res had made a great effort of getting it flattened to enable their own access, this led us to a false sense of hope……
    beyond that though just a 12 – 18 inch wide track where the walkers had been – nice and compacted but the footprtints took the wheels left and right at will, either side of the compact stuff was 12" of soft stuff…..

so, fat lad here trying to set off up the hill, going nowhere, foot down – in soft snow = FAIL 😀

Isaac, sporting the 'what on earth are we doing' look

Obligatory 'bikes stood up in snow' shot

ourkidsam
    Free Member

SNAP!

From Saturday

Riding fail…

WTF…

Obligatory…

lowey

cookeaa

Had a similar experience Wednesday night…

Compacted Snow ice left by vehicles is great as it’s lovely and smooth under your wheels, Snow ice Compacted by walkers is obviously full of foot prints and therefore pretty variable in terms of how compacted it is, one second it’s like riding draggy sand the next good and firm as well as being bloody bumpy in places once it’s re-frozen.

Kept braking traction in the oddest places on relatively easy climbs, found it worked best to go for a lower gear and stay seated weight over the back tyre and not too much spinning of the rear wheel…

It’s all great fun though, you do twice the work to get half as far but everyone thinks you’ve risked life and limb when you get home…

69er
    Free Member

Look at the mudguards on those!!!! 😯 😯 😯

69er
    Free Member

Found the snow suprisingly grippy yesterday, my talent however was sadly lacking. Great fun!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

my talent however was sadly lacking. Great fun!

don't you mean your talent was for falling of, not staying on ??

SolidAir

Lonscale Fell above Keswick, shortly before an OTB frenzied descent.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Ended up face first in a bush on the way to work this morning. Not always the nicest way to start your day. 😕

dave_aber
    Free Member

Depends who's bush it is !!

headfirst
    Free Member

this is my first ever pic post, worked first time 8)

mattymer
    Free Member

went for a mint snow ride round ashton court and leigh woods at weekend, now have a stinkin head cold but was well worth it if it was the cause.

beefy

Marsden man, we went up on the goat track above wessenden one thursday night in the snow, very scary.

Anyway, get in touch, I can't find your email, would be great to hook up and ride, there is a regular Thursday night ride in Holmfirth if your interested.

Kit
    Free Member

Well if we're doing bikes in the snow…

TinMan
    Free Member

Riding Fail… Winstone Lee Tor bridleway

Bike in Snow Pic… above Lockerbrook Farm

Both are from 3rd Jan, but it was just as good yesterday 😆

ourkidsam
    Free Member

How did you even know where the bridleway was?!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Snow riding FAIL……’ is closed to new replies.