Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Snow on the Roads – Lets play Top Gear
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Who has been out for a drive just so they can pull lairy powerslides?

I managed about 300 metres around the edge of the Sainsbury carpark last night in a controlled powerslide. Great Fun*!

*Empty carpark, no people of cars about so don’t start whinging please

Sandwich

Oh they’re going to whinge, once the ABS fun finishes 😀

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

On the way to work this morning I passed a nice big empty car park, I was very very tempted, but unfortunately there is a short steep downhill in to it, so I would have got in but not back out.

Still had plenty of fun on the roads in Sheffield this morning (that were empty) both with Direction Stability Control on. Odly that had the car crabbing down the road and, but with it off I could do a steady ‘powerslide’ down the road in a straight line.

On the odd corner I did have the occasional nearly fun opposite lock 🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Jesus the snow has affected me making any sense!

DezB
    Free Member

I used to do that at Havant Hypermarket in my Hillman Imp. When I was 18
    😉

PJ266
    Free Member

Well, i am 18 😉

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Well I am nearly 40 and it is still fun 😉

allthegear
    Free Member

I used to do that all the time when I had the Impreza – best way I know to get used to what might happen if I messed up real bad one day…

Good fun, too!

Not quite the same in the Skoda – front wheel drive, you see.

sofatester
    Free Member

Phew! It’s not just me then.

A buddy and I went on a night time county lane drive, with the sole intention of getting it “proper sideways”. It worked.

Even went to a disused(we guessed) airfield for some J-turns and snowploughing. Good times.

#sits back and waits for the “that’s dangerous/bad for tires/environment/road tax” brigade to pitch in#

samuri
    Free Member

both my cars are front wheel drive 🙁

maybe if I do it backwards

timber

had some interesting moments ploughing through our work lane in the land rover yesterday as first one out, it drifts easily and there are a few roller coaster dips in the road

road is drifted too high to get in today – shame

PJ266
    Free Member

reverse donuts 😀 its good fun

KonaTC

Couldn’t resit last night the works car park was empty but I did wish I still had my 1972 Ford Cortina 2000 GXL, rear wheel drive, webber carbs, performamce exhaust right up until I started to drive home, air con Mmmmmm… Lovely

GrahamS

sofatester: No problem here with you ragging your car around an empty car park or an airfield, but as someone who lives on a country lane I’d rather you didn’t razz about on a road I might be using.

mattrivett
    Free Member

Just because it’s front wheel drive doesn’t mean you cant get very sideways! 🙂 Handbrake and lots of power to keep it going! Just don’t lift!!!!

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’m reminded daily about how I miss my celica. I’ll get drive space for her up here one day, then the fun will return! In the mean time, sod off you lot – I’m stuck with an understeery, tractionless FWD estate!

Dr_UpGrade
    Free Member

Samuri,
    the handbrake is your friend such occasions!

I had fun on my mtb in swinley last night… That lovely floaty drifty snowboard kinda feelin! Even was ‘fist’ down some of the tracks, ah virgin snow!!

alwyn
    Free Member

I did it on my motorbike yesterday! Proper good fun!

Fell off a few times and had some very sketchy moments but loved every bit of it.

I’m off to access the damage in a minute.

allybee
    Free Member

I can’t even get my car – mx5 – off the drive 🙁

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

My Dolly Sprint was great for playing in snow covered carparks, the passat isnt though & I really miss a proper handbreak this electronic rubbish doesnt work for turns.

I never got to try the caterham in the snow, 5 years with no snow 🙁

grumm
    Free Member

Imagine the outrage/mockery if it was a bunch of scally kids in souped up Corsas doing it.

bfw

I have a L200 4×4 and finally got to give it a go on snow Sunday night 2am 🙂

amazing fun, straight line you can floor it in either 4×4 low or high, on the bends/corners or off-camber roads if you boot it you end up going 50% fwd and 50% sideways.. as soon as you ease of the gas, it pulls straight back into line. the only issue was the other traffic getting stuck on little slopes, eg Kingston Bridge?? I had to go around them 🙂

it feels very sucure and as if you are driving in normal road conditions. didnt try the rear diff lock though.

mattrivett
    Free Member

I can guarantee your caterham would have been very boring in the snow! Understeer understeer understeer!!

samuri
    Free Member

yeah but we’re all middle aged account managers who’ve *earned* the right to drive like idiots.

To be honest, my Honda accord will lose the back end, without any handbrake assistance if it’s pushed through corners keenly enough, not the same though.

bfw

ahh I remember the fun in my old Mk2 RS2000 in the country lanes/snow around the south of Bristol c1984. I bet a old Dolly Sprint would be fun today, anti-lock does spoil the fun on new stuff doesnt it?!

bfw

thinking about it my mates old Marina (TC!!) was great fun in the snow/lanes, maybe the fact it was worth £200 helped?

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

understeer, understeer, understeer? It used to do that in the damp too … or when being pushed hard into a bend.

A sharp lift of the right foot immediately followed by jamming said foot to the carpet normally sorted it out though 😆

mattrivett
    Free Member

Oh yeah damp is no worries, especially if you take the front roll bar off! 🙂 trouble is in the snow it just wouldn’t grip at the front, lift, full throttle, whatever if you can’t get any purchase on the front first it wont have anything to pivot round 🙂

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i thought it was a good idea going for a drive in the snow last night, ended up sliding into a ditch. not very clever then!

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Imagine the outrage/mockery if it was a bunch of scally kids in souped up Corsas doing it.

When my Merc needed new tyres I took it to an empty industrial estate just to scrub off the last of the tyres. Big lairy turns, leaving 11s down the straight, donuts in the laoding bay area.

When the rent-a-cops turned up they were amazed to see me in a suit and tie and the registered owner of the car rather than so oik who had twoc’d the car. Took them out for a blast in the car and they let me go with a warning. Great fun!

Pook

I crashed yesterday :o(

solamanda
    Free Member

I did my commute into London on my scooter today, (not brave enough to ride my motorbike). Foot out drifting chav scooter ftw.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m thoroughly happy with my 4WD at the moment!

coffeeking
    Free Member

I went for a drive in teh snow the other week, the most fun I had was stopping to check 4 different crash victims (solo crashes with hedges etc) were ok and offer to push them out.

Cold and unloved (SORN’d for 2 years now) with a bonnet full of snow 🙁

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Snow on the Roads – Lets play Top Gear’ is closed to new replies.