Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Snow bikes
  • highlandman
    Free Member

Heading over from the Slugain into Strathgairn to the north of Braemar yesterday, I came across recent tyre racks of what I am guessing was a snow bike. The tyre footprint on the sublime singletrack looked about 4-5inches wide and had a pattern that looked familiar, like I’ve maybe seen a picture of it somewhere. Anyone know who it was and how they got on threading among the boulders with such a fat tyre..?
    It was great to get such a grand day out in the hills this early in the year, better still to do it in such dry trail conditions.

In a vaguely related topic, anyone know why Helen Skelton didn’t use an established design of snow bike for her Antarctic trip? The ‘special, new’ bike she had looked awful, the extended rear triangle meant no weight on the back tyre to give grip and overcome the drag of the pulk. Plus those teeny diameter wheelbarrow tyres seemed to struggle to climb over the slightest bit of sastrugi.

fasthaggis

Not one of these then?

I thought I was following a fat bike the other day and caught up with one 🙄

highlandman
    Free Member

Very funny. No, the tyre track depth was minimal even on soft surfaces and the tread pattern was rows of narrow, in-line blocks. No slippage/spinning visible and it had floated over sections of softer ground.

andrewh
    Free Member

Definately tyre marks, not tracks?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sounds like a Surly Larry.

highlandman
    Free Member

Fat Larry looks about right. Now, who was that rider..?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Snow bikes’ is closed to new replies.