Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • Sneak Peak – 2011 Foes AMX – WORLD EXCLUSIVE
  • jamie@balfa
    Free Member

First pictures anywhere of the new UK inspired Foes AMX (All Mountain Cross) frameset.

Designed to run a 120-150mm SC fork, the frame currently has a 12.5" BB height, 69 degree head angle, 72 degree seat angle, 16.5" chainstays, ISCG mounts, front mech compatible & tapered headtube. Tyres fitted are 2.35 Kenda Nevegals so there is plenty of clearance.

Should be available around July with an RRP of £800.

Fully USA made as with all Foes bikes.

http://www.southerndownhill.com/forum/index.php/topic,219385.0.html

J

P.S – i'm useless at putting pics on here so if anyone is feeling nice……

rs
    Free Member

I can't see pics here or the other thread, come on put a bit of effort in!

nickc

What picture?

mamadirt
    Free Member

Mmmmmmmm 😛

Jamie, [ img ] (without the spaces) url of image (or copy and paste image location) [ /img ] (again without spaces). Job done.

jamie@balfa
    Free Member

Ah, you guys may not be able to see them on SDH if you arent members. Ok, will look into it, i'm a bit computer iliterate with these photobucket/flikr things.

Gimme a few mins

J

rs
    Free Member

just give us a link to the photbucket/flickr page, we'll do the rest 🙂

jamie@balfa
    Free Member

slowrider
    Free Member

bah! i want to see!

walleater

cynic-al
    Free Member

Hold teh front page!

New overpriced niche frame!

jamie@balfa
    Free Member

Not really over priced when you take into account the workmanship thats gone into it & when you compare it to Taiwanese made frames in the same genre.

J

slowrider
    Free Member

aha! i do see now.

al, how is it niche? other than being a small brand or is that what you meant?

not sure i like the whole monocoque/ hydromform-esque thing on a hardtail to be honest. it just looks like its had the shock removed! whats the thinking behind the seatstay/top tube configuration?

mamadirt
    Free Member

I'm guessing you can't see the pics I posted above then 😕 . Emperor's new clothes anyone? 😉

Mike
    Free Member

Not another frame with a tapered head tube, cannot see the sense – why not just 1.5" all the way through and that way you can fit forks with a 1.5, 1.1/8 and tapered steerer if desired. Frame reminds me of a Mountain Cycle Rumble front and why the hole where the seatstay joins the top tube?

cynic-al
    Free Member

How is this a world exclusive?

jamie@balfa
    Free Member

The seatstay & top tube junction is to add strength & stiffness. Its also to make it a little different.

The Monocoque top tube is a Foes signature so of course it has to have it. This reduces weight but adds stiffness.

Tapered headtubes are lighter than 1.5", forks are lighter than 1.5", stiffer than 1.5" & there is a much wider choice of stems available. Like it or not, 1 1/8", Tapered & 1.5" are all around to stay, they just have different styles of bike to be utilised on.

J

jamie@balfa
    Free Member

Its a world exclusive because i just put the first pics up anywhere. The frame was only tacked up over the weekend.

J

Mike
    Free Member

I undertstand the concept, but still look S$%* and is gonna be a pain in the neck for some folk changing frames and carrying over existing kit…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Looks like a full bouncer where someone's nicked the shock.

adey205
    Free Member

i'd prefer it if the frame came fully welded 😆

slowrider
    Free Member

dont get me wrong jamie, id LOVE a foes at some point. just not that one! having a monocoque because its a company signature isnt a good enough reason IMO, it just looks like an exercise in trying to be different. cheers for the pics tho!

naokfreek
    Free Member

I like it!!

walleater

I see the point of tapered hard tubes, and they will become more common, but reinforcing a lightly stressed area of the frame (the top / seat tube join…unless you run a huuuuuge seat post) is pointless.

brakes
    Free Member

Looks like a full bouncer where someone's nicked the shock.

that's what I thought
    I got all excited about a full suss Foes for £800 😐

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

USA made alloy hardcore hardtail £800!

Taiwanese alloy hardcore hardtail £275

OK so the foes is nicer looking (best of a bad bunch?) and it's hard to see how it can be any lighter than the ragley, and the ragley is warranted for longer forks.

I hate the ragleys looks with a passion, but suspect they probably ride very nicely.

That foes just shares its geometry with a dialled PA, that's not a bad thing, but the PA is also a third of the price?

slowrider
    Free Member

if ragley would just drop the top tube then i reckon a lot of people would like the looks (me included)

Underhill
    Free Member

I think it looks great. Can I get one on C2W?

forgotmename
    Free Member

No cable or hose guides!

rs
    Free Member

hmmmm, no thanks, was expecting a full suss too with a name like all mountain cross

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Lovely looking thing
    Bet it will be super stiff

PJ266
    Free Member

You can guarantee its gonna be great to ride. I like the aesthetics too.

nickc

I like, looking forward to seeing it finished

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Looks nice Jamie but that is that just the monocoque top "tube" from an 08/09 FXR??

Talking of Foes's; when are we going to see a review of the new FXR in a magazine / website?

Personally, I'd be interested to see how the Curnutt shock / single pivot stacks up against all the modern linkage designs etc.

It might also get the brand a bit more exposure!!

(oh and if you want any "real world" testers I'd happily swap my 2007 FXR for a 2010, for testing purposes like.. 😀 )

jamie@balfa
    Free Member

Walleater – Why shouldnt it be reinforced? It doesnt weigh a whole bunch more but makes it different to other bikes out there.

The top tube adds stiffness over a tubular top tube which is one of the reasons it features on all Foes frames.

It isn't designed to be the price of a Ragley. Hell i've seen a few in the flesh & wouldnt even go there, but its a totally different kettle of fish. Comparing a Ragley to a Foes is like comparing an Apollo to a Titus. Why do any of us buy expensive bikes when there is a cheaper option? We do it for the enjoyment factor.

J

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I know this sounds rather cheesy but I think you need to have a ride on a Foes to know what they're about…

coogan
    Free Member

Jesus, thats hideous. So's the GT.

jamie@balfa
    Free Member

Ropey,

The first batch of production FXR's are landing here on Mondayin Small & Medium. Larges are another 2 weeks away.

The FXR was reviewed in MBR 2-3 issues ago matey!! Its now on its way to Dirt for a more aggressive review.

All Foes test bikes will be supplied with Curnutt & Fox shocks this year so that people can do a back to back comparison. Sure the Curnutt is better but the Fox isn't bad & brings the price down to a more affordable price point.

J

brant
    Free Member

It isn't designed to be the price of a Ragley. Hell i've seen a few in the flesh & wouldnt even go there, but its a totally different kettle of fish. Comparing a Ragley to a Foes is like comparing an Apollo to a Titus.

Well thank you very much sir… your comments are most professional.

I was going to ask why on earth anyone would spec a 69deg head angle on a 150mm forked bike, but decided not to on grounds of respect for other manufacturers.

*hugs*

slowrider
    Free Member

is that 69 degrees at 150mm? 😐

slowrider
    Free Member

double post 😳

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Sneak Peak – 2011 Foes AMX – WORLD EXCLUSIVE’ is closed to new replies.