Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Snaping Chains
  • beerbelly
    Free Member

I seem to break a lot of chains had one snap on sunday but’s not realy seen much use & still measures 12″ centre to centre will it still be ok or need replacing ?

molgrips
    Free Member

Should be ok.

Are you using SRAM chains? They changed their manufacturing a few years back and they became rubbish – snapped about three in a few months despite having never broken one before that (in 10 years of riding) and not since changing away from SRAM.

richc
    Free Member

Weird I find that I destroy XT chains in a few months (last one killed my cassette as I had to finish a long ride and it chewed it up) whereas SRAM chains especially the crosslink ones seem to be great.

Milkie
    Free Member

..not realy seen much use & still measures 12″ centre to centre

I take it you are measuring the chain when its on the bike. I made the mistake of measuring it off the bike, then re-measured on the bike and it had stretched more than off the bike.

will it still be ok or need replacing ?

If one link has snapped, what’s the chances of another snapping? I suppose it depends on how much you value your nuts!?

beerbelly
    Free Member

Yes Sram

beerbelly
    Free Member

Yes measured on the bike jockey wheels and casette are fine trouble is if i change chain the i got to change the cassette and middle ring

mrnmissespanda

My brand new trek 8500 snapped a SRAM chain on its third ride. Ive used SRAM chains for years without ever snapping one. so maybe SRAM needs to tighten up quality control.

Panda

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve snapped everything! But Shimano more than SRAM, in fact every Shimano chain I’ve put on an MTB (about 6) have snapped! A couple of SRAM (not recently, I use PC990 Cross Steps), and 1 KMC X9SL (which was really old and haggared!).

I’d still say SRAM are the best for not breaking!

toby1

I’ve snapped a bunch mainly sram, I tend to find it to be related to my lack of maint. most of the time.

If the casette is not visibly worn I find that a new chain works ok, with a little lube from time to time.

molgrips
    Free Member

I tend to find it to be related to my lack of maint. most of the time.

I don’t think lack of maintenance causes chains to snap. Isn’t it the side plates that snap? An area that’s unaffected by chain wear – it’s the pins that wear.

in fact every Shimano chain I’ve put on an MTB (about 6) have snapped!

You are using the proper joining pin aren’t you?

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

just stick a powerlink in and get riding, it’ll be ok….probably!

njee20
    Free Member

Of course I used the joining pin! I snapped a brand new XTR chain within about 200 yards once, it didn’t go on the joining pin. It’s rarely the side plates that actually snap, they generally pull apart at the rivets IME.

I’m fairly sympathetic to my bikes (never use big/big etc), and they’re always well maintained. I must just be too powerful!

Powerlinks are far and away the weakest part of a chain! They’re more likely to break than any other link.

coffeeking
    Free Member

It’d be handy to see one of the snapped chains. The only chains I’ve ever snapped have been due to lack of maintenance where a link has seized slightly at the pin, rotated round under force and kinked/popped a plate off ones side of the pin. I’ve done this 3 times now (all powerlinked sram lightweight drilled-side-plate chains, but middle links, not the powerlinks). I now maintain my chain more effectively (WD40 after ride, then re-lube).

Snappign at the side plates would take either a lot of use (fatigue), a serious manufacturing defect or a serious amount of force lol. It takes a lot less effort to split them at the pins.

J0N
    Free Member

Snapped a few SRAM & Shimano, most likely from lack of maintenance.
    Powerlinks never snap on me – now on my third chain with same powerlink.
    Powerlink seems far better than joining pin, less to go wrong.

Del

Yes measured on the bike jockey wheels and casette are fine trouble is if i change chain the i got to change the cassette and middle ring

if that’s the case then your chain is already well worn.

soobalias
    Free Member

after destroying numerous sram chains, i built my own out of powerlinks.

it was a bit of a fiddle but now its done, its very reliable.

bigyinn
    Free Member

lol @ soobalias
    Been reading sheldon’s site again?!

sq225917
    Free Member

KMC SL:
    job done

foxyrider
    Free Member

TBH I change my chains every 6 months and I have only ever snapped one chain. I am about 78Kg and the one I snapped was on an old carrera in 1995?

Dibbs
    Free Member

Every chain I’ve seen snap (and I’ve seen a few) has been due to bad gear changing (get to the bottom of a climb, wrench the rear mech across the cassette and stamp on the pedals at the same time).

richc
    Free Member

I’ve killed both SRAM and shimano to be fair just a lot more shimano ones. The Shimano ones seem to break as the pin is pulled forward and separates the plates, whereas the SRAM ones seem to snap the side plates (i’ve only ever done this to 2 SRAM chains, compared to about 8 XT ones).

beerbelly
    Free Member

True it was a bad gear change

poppa
    Free Member

Is your chain long enough? Big cog to big cog, suspension fully compressed?

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Bert, your just crap, deal with it! 😀

Mike n Gman are doing a niteride up chase 2mora at 6ish, I’m popping along on deadly wallaby watch,
    so if your at a loose end pop along.

The weekend thing, wouldn’t be able to leave until the afternoon on Saturday i don’t think.

I’ll let you know.

Lata Bert

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Snaping Chains’ is closed to new replies.