Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Smoking while pregnant.
  • slowoldman

Crikey back in the 50s all our mums were puffing away at work at home in pregnancy. It didn’t do me any harm. Cough, cough.

skydragon
    Free Member

It’s a sliding scale of harm, but drinking heavily, smoking or doing drugs whilst pregnant in this day and age is just plain f&ckwitt skanky and is the preserve of the same type of people who let their dog’s crap on playing fields, or drive without a license or insurance.

I don’t subscribe to the ethos of let people become as fat, or lazy or skanky as they want, as it’s their business – the end result often means the rest of society have to pick up the bill, either financially or otherwise.

DezB
    Free Member

Blimey fella! I also have to say one_happy_hippy, that you don’t sound very hippyish. Or indeed very happy

and there’s 2 of him 😆

aracer
    Free Member

I presume from the way you phrase it that people judged them in the opposite way I would – I’m struggling to comprehend the mentality of somebody with medical training deciding to “manage it”, but tempted to give the other the benefit of the doubt of not really understanding the issue.

binners

I don’t subscribe to the ethos of let people become as fat, or lazy or skanky as they want, as it’s their business – the end result often means the rest of society have to pick up the bill, either financially or otherwise.

Presumably you’ll be rsponsible for writing all the new rules then, telling everyone what you deem it is that they now can and can’t do, and ruthlessly enforcing your new code?

Have you thought of moving to Syria? I believe there’s a group over there who share your opinions on freedom of choice. Pop on a flight to Turkey and its just a quick hop over the border. Make sure you don’t indulge in any behavior that anyone else disaproves of though. You might find yourself in a spot of bother.

skydragon
    Free Member

Say it as it is mate 😉

Sad truth is, some f&ckwitts need saving from their own actions.

Please don’t give me the PC handwringing crap. We live a free country and I’m not suggesting we turn it into some police state.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Had the misfortune to catch one of those “benefits Britain” programmes the other week – mum with 9 week old baby on her shoulder while she stood there smoking and two toddlers with coke in their sipping cups

What’s wrong with having coke in a sipping cup, even if you are a toddler?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

It tends to blow out of the cup when you breathe out.

perchypanther
    Free Member

mrsfry
    Free Member

How many of your parents drank and smoked heavily and you chaps are still alive.
    Leave them alone.

Drac

Yeah the dead ones post on another forum.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Yeah the dead ones post on another forum.

Oh, wait, is it grit.cx?

mrsfry
    Free Member

Leave Grit.cx alone. They are way cooler as they do bendy bikes and lady things 🙂

Drac

Oh, wait, is it grit.cx?

😆

chewkw
    Free Member

No.

Let them cull themselves.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

In all honestly I want every effort of the entire STW team to succeed in every way.

But that one was just an open goal 😉

mrsfry
    Free Member

^^
    I demand STW pulls your ‘P’
    Grrrrrr

stgeorge

It’s sad, cos there’s a certain “look” that children of smokers have

About 80% of the population my age, bet you couldn’t spot me…

MSP

I would just like to see smoking banned, **** taxing them just make them illegal.

Then again I would also like to see cannabis legalised.

Spin
    Free Member

Some women smoke when pregnant simply because they have no idea it is harmful. I mean it’s not widely known is it? All it would take to get them to stop is a little bit of friendly advice from a well meaning stranger.

Seriously, if you speak to someone about behaviour like that who are you doing it for? Them? The unborn child? They’ve doubtless heard it all before a million times and if advice from family and health professionals has had **** all effect why would advice from a stranger? So who are you doing it for? Yourself is the answer. You want them to know that you disapprove so that you can pretend to yourself that you did your bit. Way to go big man.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Easy tiger. I didn’t say anything, I am aware of the fallibility of my impulses.

This thread is about your thoughts, not mine [you have them already – concerned but ultimately un acted-upon].

Spin
    Free Member

Easy tiger. I didn’t say anything.

I know. Just felt like a rantette. It wasn’t directed at you. 😉

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

You want them to know that you disapprove so that you can pretend to yourself that you did your bit

Actually this really interests me. Why do some people assume that there is no such thing as altruism? My thoughts were along the lines of “doubtless she’ll be angry, but I don’t care if she is cross with me if it is of benefit to another”.

Now, this may be a form of transparent self-delusion, was I not aware of my own subconscious impulse – make myself feel good by imparting the advice? Or could it be that I really want to be of use in the world? Might there be a possibility of a good outcome? Yes! Might it me slim? Yes! Might I get a punch in the chops? Yes!!

Still the thoughts and motivations of both myself and the woman are, well, interesting to me 🙂

I know. Just felt like a rantette. It wasn’t directed at you.

‘S OK – I decided to have a right go at Knog earlier.

nealglover
    Free Member

Was the 9 months before this thread was revived a coincidence.

Or was it revived so we could check up on the smoking lady’s baby ?

Spin
    Free Member

Actually this really interests me.

It is interesting. True altruism might exist but if it does it’s probably quite rare. In the case we’re discussing I think ‘having a word’ might not be motivated by desire to do good but by anger at seeing something you think is wrong.

doubtless she’ll be angry, but I don’t care if she is cross with me if it is of benefit to another”.

My point is that it wouldn’t have a benefit although altruism isn’t dependent on the act being successful.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I wouldn’t have said anything.

Certainly left a friendship significantly ‘cooler’ when I found a friend had been smoking whilst pregnant; or maybe it was my comments to her that had that effect. Either way, no, I wouldn’t comment to a stranger.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Well we need someone to do the $hit jobs.

Can’t have everyone go to Uni.

Hooray for pregnant women who smoke.

Student told me me his Mum is addicted and can’t stop smoking around him. He reeks, I thought he was smoking from the whiff of second hand smoke.

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Smoking while pregnant.’ is closed to new replies.