Viewing 36 posts - 81 through 116 (of 116 total)
  • Smokers and public places in summer
  • simonfbarnes
    Free Member

The way they witter on about how disgusting it is, yet 6 weeks ago they were outside with me puffing away.

that's not hypocrisy, that's realisation! It was always fatuous and disgusting, but it took time for them to believe it.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Probably, but theres no need turn the rest of us into social lepers.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

but theres no need turn the rest of us into social lepers.

it's only temporary – when you're not smoking you're admitted to full social intercourse 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

You did say Social intercourse?

CaptJon
    Free Member

All cigarette packets should be sold with a miniature wind sock.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

You did say Social intercourse?

anything else is a bit much to expect until the smell goes…

All cigarette packets should be sold with a miniature wind sock.

you could use a condom and a swizzle stick 🙂

cinnamon_girl

😆

aracer
    Free Member

when you stop driving a car i will consider more closely the pollution caused by my smoking, deal?

If you want to smoke next to me, I'll take up my right (free country and all that) to sit in my car revving its nuts off with the exhaust pipe pointed at you.

plumber
    Free Member

I was quite happy for my mother to elighten me to the joys of smoking. She seemed to be in all sorts of excruciating pain as she told me it was her greatest pleasure in life just before she died.

Weird

Plum

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

sorry to hear that Lorne 🙁

cinnamon_girl

Oh to live in a perfect world!

I could sit in a pub garden and have to listen to someone swearing, kids screaming/crying, someone whose body odour permeates the planet, plonkers revving their silly cars in the pub car park. Heaven forbid, there could even be sweaty mountain bikers doing trackstands in the garden and, yes, you know who you are!!

Tolerance and peace man.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

if pubs are so vile, why does anyone go ?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Plum, i share your pain, my dad 12 years ago last week. He was on 40 a day and still missed them after he gave up, 2 years before he died from lung cancer.
    Thats why i stopped as i really want to grow old and watch my son find his way in the world.

cinnamon_girl

On a serious note, I would not want to eat in close proximity to smokers.

Ex smoker here. After 20 years I quit. I try hard not to sit on a high horse.

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

well, actually, heroin is probably more benign than smoking, apart from the exigencies imposed by making it illegal!

I think you need to look into the medium and long term damage done by heroin before you start believing that statement…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I think you need to look into the medium and long term damage done by heroin before you start believing that statement…

aren't there doctors who have been addicted for their entire careers ? But I'm not arguing for the benefits of heroin – all drugs are pointless, though I'll admit to an affection for caffeine

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Smoker's are arrogant **** who cry "It's my civil rights"?

You know what,out of all the posts on this thread, Drac has me the most disappointed.
    Sad day when an admired regular becomes an anti-hero 🙁

Junkyard
    Free Member

he is not claiming it is helathy but smoking related disease kills circa 20% of population and is it 1 in 3 or 2 in 3 of users.
    Long term addiction to heroin, of sufficient quality/purity, would be bad for your health but would not reach these levels. Alcohl is pretty bad as well.

smoking deaths /diseases
    alcohol

Ti29er
    Free Member

It's a shame many pubs don't see a need to put smokers in one section of the garden and non-smokers in the remainder of the beer garden. And why do they feel the need to hang about the door way? Even people inside can't escape them when they loiter with their vile drugs.

I've been to the pub maybe 3 times since the ban and each time I drank up and left such was the stench from the half-wits & their "need" to do their drugs.
    Prior to the ban we used to visit the pub garden for a drink maybe 10-15 times a year, now it's down to once – at most.

Thankfully, it's becoming more & more socially unacceptable to do tobacco, and the last I'd heard was that the cost to the NHS was actually out by a factor of 5, so the idea that the 1/2wits pay for the hospitals is somewhat flawed.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Perhaps we should make smokers and overweight people pay more for the nhs? Oh and whie were at it, anyone who has alcohol in their system has to pay extra to be seen in a and e.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

bigyinn – Member
    Perhaps we should make smokers and overweight people pay more for the nhs? Oh and whie were at it, anyone who has alcohol in their system has to pay extra to be seen in a and e.

And next time you come of your bike you should pay to have your head stitched up if you weren't wearing a helmet. And if you break your ankle playing badminton, you should pay for the treatment if you weren't wearing a brace. If you are in a car crash, you should pay if you didn't have an NCAP 4* or higher car…

And so it goes on…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Perhaps we should make smokers and overweight people pay more for the nhs?

I suspect you're playing Devil's Advocate here, but simply no – the principle of free treatment for all regardless of their circumstances is to valuable to lose.

uplink
    Free Member

It's a shame many pubs don't see a need to put smokers in one section of the garden and non-smokers in the remainder of the beer garden

Smokers are their best customers generally – why would they voluntarily impose more restrictions on them?
    They'd allow them back inside if they could
    Part-time beer garden uses are small change

hora
    Free Member

Ex smoker here. After 20 years I quit. I try hard not to sit on a high horse.

Same here and I hate the term 'nazi ex-smoker'

Only when you quit for good do you wake up/realise.

Yes alcohol is bad so moderate your intake. Smoking can't be moderated though can it? You could smoke a handful of cigs a day and still die from a long, agonising and drawn out decline. Imagine spending your last twenty years wheezing/out of breath or bed-bound for most of the day.

I know someone who smoked most of his life and only quit 10yrs ago- hes 65 and spends most of the day laying in bed (not out of choice). What sort of existence is that?

The alcohol/cig debate is rank. You can drink moderately.

I'm banging on abit now but look at where they put the cig-display allover the wall behind the shop keeper with the sweet display infront….guess who the cig companies are trying to attract to replace the dead ex-customers?

Wake up- smokers are over-exploited.

Nezbo
    Free Member

Smoker should be shot in the face with a big gun (maybe a bit aggressive but i am sure i will get over it)

I work in a hospital and every day i see d**kheads wheeling there drips and being pushed in a wheel chair because of smoking related issues. I used to know a doctor who would not treat any one who smoked.

so no I think i should be baned, there are more people die of smoking related illness the any class A drug.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Yes they are over exploited, but who stucks up for them?
    Whilst it is still legal to purchase and smoke cigarettes in public, why not leave them alone? After all you cant smoke anywhere indoors and only outside in open spaces. Pubs have become much nicer places to be inside since smoking was moved outdoors, surely thats a reasonable compromise?

hora
    Free Member

Agree totally with you Nezbo. People need to talk up more rather than risk looking 'uncool' to the living-dangerously'rebel-types'.

I used to work with a girl whose mum had the blood disease. It stressed the girl out soo much that she smoked more just to cope. Awful to witness.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

so no I think i should be banned

quite simply it doesn't work. Until you fix people's lives, they will want chemical crutches and thrills, and making them illegal merely fosters a criminal black market

hora
    Free Member

Agree SFB, you can't smoke in moderation though. Its an addictive drug and rapes your lungs of capacity slowly.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

what's the chances of developing lung cancer if you're a smoker?
    I recall 6:1 being a likely ratio
    So you should have said …

"It'll be 16% of you in there in a couple of years, hope you know that!"

So the same odds as Russian Rouletter then? Except it isn't straight away, but maybe 10-20 years down the line. Accepting that those odds are likely to be controlled by genetic make up, most people would still not take part, seeing as few of us know our own genetic susceptibility to diseases, unless inherited.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

you can't smoke in moderation though. Its an addictive drug and rapes your lungs of capacity slowly.

I can, but I choose not to smoke at all. I don't condone smoking in the least, but banning it would be ineffective and counter productive – however, making smokers uncomfortable and extending the places where smoking is disallowed or discouraged may help tip many into giving up, while sparing the rest of us from the burden of their habit.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

I've been to the pub maybe 3 times since the ban and each time I drank up and left such was the stench from the half-wits & their "need" to do their drugs.

And how many times did you go before the ban? None? If you'd never been to a pub before I suspect you're past the age where you might start enjoying it.

Or if you used to go more than that, you must have managed to deal with the stench somehow

Prior to the ban we used to visit the pub garden for a drink maybe 10-15 times a year, now it's down to once – at most.

You could always been allowed to smoke outside – didn't people bother in your beer garden before?

hora
    Free Member

Back to the original post. Lighting up a cigarette in a public place affects others. If one objected the smoker would then feel aggrieved as though you are affecting HIS/HER liberty.

So, if a smoker lights up would it be fair to start spraying the area nearest to them with Glade air freshner? What would the smoker say?

jon1973
    Free Member

So, if a smoker lights up would it be fair to start spraying the area nearest to them with Glade air freshner? What would the smoker say?

Since they got rid of CFC propellants, they use propane and n-butane amongst other things, so I'd imagine they'd be saying things like; "Oh! ****, my face is buring".

😉

hora
    Free Member

😆 (Class)

Legally, are you allowed to spray air freshner in a public place? It'd be interesting seeing the selfish twits chevy-chases'!

Viewing 36 posts - 81 through 116 (of 116 total)

The topic ‘Smokers and public places in summer’ is closed to new replies.