Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Smelly SPD's
  • Dangerous-Bryan
    Free Member

I have a smelly problem with my Specialized Comp SPD’s.

The problem started back in July at the Twentyfour12 when they first got drenched. Since then everytime they get soaked they kick up.

I raced in the D2D at the weekend and again they got soaked and the pond water smell has started again!!

I spent over an hour scrubbing them in the sink with washing powder and conditioner to try and get rid of the smell. I have just completed the sniff test and the pond smell is back!!!!

Is there anything I can do?? Have any of you had the same issue??

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I have never sniffed my SPDs. You’re a freak 😉

Got a pond with a UV filter? Get some UV in em if soap hasn’t fetched the bacteria out? Change footbeds? I’d avoid bleach, it’ll probably knacker something. Bucket of Milton?

burmaboy
    Free Member

are u ready 4 a revelation?
    Put them in a sealed plastic bag and then leave them in ur freezer overnight. The cold temp kills all the bacteria that cause the shoes to stink.
    I work every day in cycling gear. It works with shoes’, bib shorts , even jackets.

TooTall
    Free Member

A bit of scented disinfectant and hot water in a bucket. Let them soak and dry slowly. Even works with properly stinky wetsuit boots.

TheFlyingOx

The only thing I’ve found to work with mine is to take them in with me for the post-ride shower, then sprinkle liberally with bicarb of soda and leave to dry on the radiator. Gets rid of the stank completely.

Dangerous-Bryan
    Free Member

I wanted to say thanks for your advice, I tried the freezer technique last night. I wedged my shoes inbetween the ice cream and some peas and it appears to have worked!!

I am riding tomorrow so will see what happens after that.

Thanks again

stumpy01

I am riding tomorrow so will see what happens after that.

Where are you riding?? I might come along.

burmaboy
    Free Member

no worries. Its odd that not many people have cottoned on yet.

highclimber
    Free Member

leave them in ur freezer overnight.

this is what I do with my water bladder when not in use. prevents that lovely brown/blackness building up when combined with regular miltonning!

iainc

bicarbonate of soda in mine every few weeks does the trick

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Smelly SPD's’ is closed to new replies.