Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Smelly cycling shoes…. Options?
  • weeksy

Apart from the obvious answer of throwing them in the bin, they’re a pair of Five-Tens that are not really that well used.. but a bit sweaty/smelly feel syndrome going on..

Options appreciated.

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

Febreeze?

kayak23

Stop sniffing them?

Get some more and wear on rotation. Different pairs different days, not actually rotating the shoe as that might be painful.

JoeG
    Free Member

Insoles – they work for me.

http://www.odor-eaters.com/

piemonster

but a bit sweaty/smelly feel syndrome going on..

I genuinely thought an animal had died in the room I store my shoes in so the above should be easy to sort.

Bit waterproof container filled with hot soapy water and hand wash them. Making sure to fully open out all fastenings and remove footbed.

Leave to air for several days, preferably outside. Get into the habit of opening the shoes up fully after a ride.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Wash them in the washing machine?

iainc

Soak in bucket of water with bicarbonate of soda, which neutralises the odour. Once dry, after every few rides pour some dry baking soda into them and shake about leave overnight before emptying.

rone

Just need fresh air for a while. Put them on the washing line.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Put them in the freezer.. Not with your feet in them though

nickc

No need to wash them in bicarb, just shoogie some dry powder into them and that will do the trick

Xylene
    Free Member

I tried soaking mine in a bleach solution – it didn’t kill the smell.

Mine smell as if my cats have pissed in them, which I am 99.99% sure they haven’t as they sit on a shelf and no other shoes smell like this in the house.

The smell was so bad when we got back from holiday I was convinced the cats had pissed in the house somewhere.

NZCol

I use stuff called Grans Remedy, it’s a kiwi thing but man it works.

jekkyl

go and see the doc about your smelly feet you derty get! 😛

globalti
    Free Member

Always pull out the insoles to allow the cardboard liners to dry; damp cardboard is the best place for bacteria and fungi to reproduce. If you can, leave them to dry in the sunlight as UV kills bacteria. If they really stink, wash them in the washing machine. The fungi that cause athlete’s foot also break down sweat and make it stink of cat pee, which is the smell of amines; if you have athlete’s foot, treat it with Canestan cream, the thrush version as this contains double the dosage, 2% of clotrimazole the active fungicide. If you’re serious about eradicating athlete’s foot get some fungicidal spray and spray all your footwear at the start and the end of the cream treatment and occasionally afterwards. Oh and wash the bathroom floor.

No more smelly shoes.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Washing machine. Take out insoles. Stick them in a net bag or something, and in they go. Wait a week for them to dry if they’re Five Tens.

martinhutch

Home

Sticking them in a freezer in a plastic bag for a bit can inhibit the growth of whatever ecosystem you’re developing in them.

prawny

Cat litter in a pair of stockings?

I’ve got some purple harry stuff for my smelly helmet (pads) do they do a shoe thing?

They do!

http://www.ison-distribution.com/english/product.php?part=LUPH010

hooli

I have tried all sorts, now I just leave them in the garage.

DezB
    Free Member

These look good, charcoal is good stuff. Not tried myself as I don’t smell and I’m a clean boy. http://amzn.eu/2Xs3GMw

weeksy

Thanks all.

It’s kinda weird as i have 2 pairs. One are the full waffle sole and more a canvas top, they smell and feel ‘hot’ the other pair are more leathery topped and with a flat non-treaded section on sole and seem a lot cooler. I need to work out which is which and potentially get anohter pair of the cooler ones.

These are the cooler/nicer ones which seem to be VXI Elements.

DezB
    Free Member

This stuff is good too. I bought some to spray in my snowboard boots, but I use it on my bin.

P-Jay
    Free Member

This thread has turned into “several ways to destroy a pair of FiveTens”.

The smell will be caused by bacteria, first job is to let them dry out completely.

Remove the insole if it comes out, make sure that’s dry.

Once dry you can use something like anti-bacteria foot powered, pour the stuff in there and leave them for a few days.

wombat

Store your shoes with a couple of unused teabags inside each one.

This appears to prevent Wombat Jr’s football boots from becoming a biohazard. If it works on them then it’ll work on anything…

theprancinghorse
    Free Member

If they’re wet and smelly, put a tea bag in each shoe and leave it over night. Odourless by the morning.

teamslug
    Free Member

Sure I read on here that some folks use Bicarb of Soda?.

wombat

theprancinghorse – Member

If they’re wet and smelly, put a tea bag in each shoe and leave it over night. Odourless by the morning.

I find that Lapsing ShoePong is the best sort to use 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sudocrem

cdoc
    Free Member

Same way that we clean water activity stuff at work which can build up a stink in no time.
    One bucket, some hot water and a couple of sterilisation tablets.
    Soak and agitate for 20 mins then rinse clean.
    Brings them back to new(ish), but seems to work better than anything else that I’ve tried thus far.

rene59
    Free Member

Both my hill walking and biking shoes stink like nothing else, real gag a maggot smelly. I’ve tried eveything going but found nothing that works for longer than their next use. Think it’s got something to do with peat bogs, everytime I get a new pair they are fine right up till that first time they get a dunking. After that they are never the same no matter what.

weeksy

.One bucket, some hot water and a couple of sterilisation tablets.

Currently in soak

lovegoinguphills
    Free Member

I just scrunch up some newspaper and stuff inside after each ride. Next morning remove newspaper which soaks up sweat/water.

globalti
    Free Member

Like I wrote above, that’s not enough; you need to remove the insole to allow the (usually) cardboard liner to dry out because that’s where the smell originates.

deadkenny
    Free Member

P-Jay – Member 
    This thread has turned into “several ways to destroy a pair of FiveTens”.

Easiest way I found was to get them really caked in mud on a regular basis, never wash them and leave them in the back of the car damp to never dry out in colder weather or bake solid in hot. Just rotted away in no time 😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

As long as they’re not cardboard midsoles (my freeriders aren’t), just wash them with oxy-cleaner (cheap stuff or vanish, it’s the same chemical). It’s a sterilizer, and the shoes come out clean too.

Just wash them occasionally, smelly shoes is like saying “I’ve worn this t-shirt everyday for the past year and do all my riding in it, and it smells a bit strong but I’m not sure why”.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Smelly cycling shoes…. Options?’ is closed to new replies.