Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Smashed iPad screen, oops
  • josh1982
    Free Member

Put ipad down…..took watch off and dropped on screen. ipad now looks like a bus shelter after night of abuse from teens with cider.

Called into apple store to ask them what the protocal was to be told £250 for new one as a “crash replacement”…………..they warned me off a £100 replacement screen saying they would have to cut a connecter and within a week the whole ipad would be a write off?

Sure this cant be true? What is anyone elses experience?

zilog6128

it’s probably the glass that’s broken, not the screen, so a replacement will be a lot less than £100 on eBay. Have a look at the repair procedure on iFixit and see if you think you’re up to it. If they’ll give you a new one for £250 you’ve not much to lose trying it IMO.

flatfish
    Free Member

Like this???

dirtyrider
    Free Member

like this?

Watty

Have a chat with Lovefone, I’ve used them before (iPhone 4).
    http://www.lovefone.co.uk/ipad-screen-repair/

josh1982
    Free Member

Yeah similar to those. I have found the bits I need on ebay………it’s just matter of convincing myself and the mrs that I am capable of doing it it myself.,looks semi hard to do. All the online demos are of people taking non smashed screens off.

The woman in the shop said you have to cut a connector, but all the videos show a clip attachment.

Thinks I’ll buy and try it myself.

AdamW
    Free Member

Have a look at ifixit.com, lots of tutorials for this kind of stuff!

flatfish
    Free Member

Or this?

Or this?

4ags4
    Free Member

Have you tried your house/contents insurance provider?
    Had similar with a Samsung tablet, Direct Line replaced with new and the excess was way less than the actual cost.

I_Ache
    Free Member

You.g off the idea of an iPad now, I thought the glass would be stronger than that. Hoping the Gorilla Glass 2 that’s on the Nexus 10 is stronger.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Smashed iPad screen, oops’ is closed to new replies.