• This topic has 30 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by poly.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Smartphones: Crowd sourced research
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Bit of a panic.

Need a replacement Android smartphone ASAP having put my old one through a full synthetic spin cycle 🙁

Vodafone wont bring my upgrade forward from the end of Feb, so I need something to tide me over and then go in the drawer as a spare.

Im looking for the cheapest, sim-only, Vodafone or unlocked, Android 1.5 or above handset, that MUST have android market (i.e. full google account functionality) on it. Not some pared down manufacturers version of Android.
    I had bought a new Acer off eBay but it turns out it’s next to useless and is Android in name only.
    I can hit the usual high street shops this lunchtime but need a bit of help getting a shortlist together. Anyone got any example/experiences or even a wotn to jump on google and help me search?

cheers

jon1973
    Free Member

How much does your contract cost you every month? May be worth taking out a new contract and get a new phone and then cancelling the old Voda one when it’s up for renewal (even if that’s a few months away, as I know they let you upgrade before the end of the contract).

May be cheaper than buying a new smart phone, cos they all seem to be silly money. For me a smart phone is usefull but not essential, so in those circumstances I’d bite the bullet and get a cheap non-smart PAYG phone until I got a new one for free.

edit – not really answering your question, sorry. Just an idea.

inigomontoya
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ot-fs-htc-desire
    How about this, substantial discount for cash buyer 🙂

woody2000

Someone’s selling an HTC Explorer on the classifieds, perfect for you 🙂

Linky

poly
    Free Member

I have heard it suggested that if you just want a phone for a few weeks you can got to a shop and buy one, then take it back after a few weeks as most do a 14 day change your mind policy…

speaker2animals

As said personally would it not be cheaper and fully sort you to start a new contract with free handset. Surely your extra final month old contract payment will be less than the cheapest Android handset you can buy?

Stoner
    Free Member

I had seen that D 😉
    I’ll keep it in mind…

Have found this, which seems it might fit the bill. Just going to go and read the reviews…
    http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/mobile-phones/VODAFONE-VF858-SMART/PPAY?src=phoneFinder&tariffNetworks=&clearance=false
    Vodafone vf858 smart

My contract runs until 5th of may and I can upgrade from 70 days before. To cancel my contract would cost me about £75. If I can get a spare phone for less than that, I can then renew for a new whizzy handset on the same terms in May.

Im trying to survive on an old nokia now and it’s not working for me as the web functionality isnt there. The limits of the cloud. But it’s still preferable to having everything stuck on one bit of hardware though.

geoffj

Excellent choice 😉

vinnyeh

I assume you rejected this..

HTC Legend

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers vinney.
    Problem with those s/h ones is that they are 18m-2yr old tech, well used batteries and bodies and still c.£100

Even the new “budget” handsets at <£80 are well specced although I concede they might not have the 1Ghz snapdragon in the the legend has, also with warranties.

speaker2animals

Find the best deal you can for the longterm phone you want. Ring Vodaphone and ask to speak to customer retentions. Tell them that if they will do your upgrade to same phone now you’ll stay with them otherwise you’ll take the new contract now and cancel with VF in May.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“have heard it suggested that if you just want a phone for a few weeks you can got to a shop and buy one, then take it back after a few weeks as most do a 14 day change your mind policy… “

although once you break the security seal and actually use it it becomes a night mare to take back unless its faulty …

bruneep

I’ve got a VF refurb HTC sensation if its of any use Stoner, fresh back from VF

Stoner
    Free Member

speaker2animals – I cant leave vodafone as Im dependant upon their sure signal system at home and have a business account with them for 3x sims.
    So cancelling and signing new will just cost me as much as staying with and buying sim-only, and id be cutting my nose to spite my face.

Im quite happy with them really, it’s just theyve moved their -90day upgrade rule into -70 days and Ive just been a bit unlucky with my timing.

Stoner
    Free Member

I shall fondle some new “budget” phones at luncthime and then see if any of the s/h ones in the classifieds can compete

scaredypants

orange san francisco? – 90 quid or so from an orange shop
    ded easy to unlock (or at least used to be)
    smallish screen (I got a montecarlo because I’m an old giffer with bad eyes)
    probably decent as an emergency bikephone/gps or whatever afterwards

beej

90 day rule should still apply if you go into retail store or through the on-line store.

That’s gives you til 5th of Feb to survive…

Stoner
    Free Member

90 day rule should still apply if you go into retail store or through the on-line store

really?

will check at the voda shop on Strand this lunchtime then

beej

Let me know how you get on…

mefty
    Free Member

cheers vinney.
    Problem with those s/h ones is that they are 18m-2yr old tech, well used batteries and bodies and still c.£100

I have a mate who runs one of the sh dealers. He provides our phones, and we use SIM only deals, never had major battery problems and condition has been always great.

Kahurangi

I’ve got a VF refurb HTC sensation if its of any use Stoner, fresh back from VF

How much are you looking for? 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers for all the help guys.

Gone for the s/h Explorer on the classifieds.
    Had a fondle of a new one in the shop and it’s fine. Also new tech.

beej – didnt get a chance to talk to the staff as they were faffing around taking ages with a load of customers before me. Anyway, even if they could do the upgrade, Id bet that they couldnt have issued me with a galaxy nexus there and then as I reckon theyre not in stock yet. Will get on the waiting list at the end of the phone for one.

beej

Yeah, Nexus doesn’t look to be in stock. Couple of weeks apparently.

Stoner
    Free Member

dont suppose you work in business upgrade do you beej?

toby1

2nd hand Nexus s was about £200 on carphonewarehouse (via a google search not their own) recently – keep for a couple of months and will still have a strong re-sale value provided you look after it. Also it’s pure android so it just feels better 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

Well the HTC explorer arrived from the classifieds this morning and it’s excellent. Full functionality, lightweight and nice feel to it.
    Now I’m toying with not even renewing with an upgrade but saving some money and just getting a sim only deal for half my current cost and buying that lenovo ideapad…..

beej

No, innovation – which means I need to know lots of stuff about lots of stuff – hence knowing how to check standard upgrade times.

Stoner
    Free Member

As long as you are not responsible for voda bloatware ill let you off 😉

beej

Not me… and I don’t use it either!

My old Android handset currently looks like a japanese iPhone.

poly
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member
    “have heard it suggested that if you just want a phone for a few weeks you can got to a shop and buy one, then take it back after a few weeks as most do a 14 day change your mind policy… “

although once you break the security seal and actually use it it becomes a night mare to take back unless its faulty …
    Haven’t done it so it needs investigating before parting with cash, but a colleague was sold an android by spotty teanager in CarPhoneWarehouse, didn’t like it and took it back after 10 days of extensive trying. No questions asked it was swapped for an iPhone. She was told she could take that back after another 2 weeks if she didn’t like it either – and that she could cancel her contract. No idea if that is as easy in reality.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Smartphones: Crowd sourced research’ is closed to new replies.