Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • SMART TV – Recommendations or alternatives
  • Lesanita2
    Free Member

OMG. Pregnant Wife comes home and says the 28″ 20 year old CRT TV in the spare room must go and she has got it in to her head she wants a smart tv…… by xmas

All she wants is to watch tv on demand, so I said there must be a way to watch tv from the laptop on the existing screen or a new (cheaper) flat screen (via the pc in socket on a new telly)

Argos seem to be doing 26″ smart tvs for £300 (link)
    Any good?

Lesanita2
    Free Member

will it do ITV & C4 on demand?

druidh
    Free Member

Just bought a Samsung Smart TV but haven’t had a chance to explore it all yet. iPlayer and ITV Player are built in (well – once you’ve downloaded them). Lovefilm and NetFlix also there. There are some other movies channels too.

fasthaggis

Just bought a reasonably clever TV (samsung) .It came with a free xbox ,and I can also plug in my tablet through an hdmi cable for interweb stuff.

geoffj

Same as Druidh – the 32″ version. £370 from richer sounds with 5. Yr guarantee.
    Still getting to grips with it, but early impressions are very good.

Lesanita2
    Free Member

I’ve got a galaxy s3, so I think it can interact with Samsung Smart TVs.

compositepro
    Free Member

mother in law just got a samsung its pretty damn good

If I was in the market for a TV at the moment, it would be this one – unfortunately I don’t have 2 grand to spend on a TV

Milt
    Free Member

Samsung doesn’t have 4Od or 5 on demand as yet.

you can plug a lap top in though. need half decent broadband speed also.
    got a samsung & a wifi dongle & awful broadband speed 1.35ish so buffers about 6 times in an 1/2 hour programme.
    go to AV forums.

or youview

petrieboy

TiVo does what you need very well.

tinribz
    Free Member

Get a mini android PC that plugs in to a HDMI. Turns your tv in to a giant tablet, better than most smart tv because the play store apps are endless and no catch up restrictions. DLNA so can play from or control with your phone wirelessly etc.

I got this one the other day to play movies from a nas with XBMC, TED, youTube etc, size of a beermat. But they come smaller and cheaper too, all with built in wifi. Lightweight enough to leave turned on permanently.

Am gonna get another (MINIX NEO X5) after Christmas and move the existing into the spare room.

Cougar

Same as Druidh – the 32″ version. £370 from richer sounds with 5. Yr guarantee.

Same, only from John Lewis – they also give a five year guarantee, and price match (with Currys). £300.

m0nster2
    Free Member
    JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Just bought a Samsung 5500 32 last week. I player and you tube function work really well. Internet browser less good. I also have a Galaxy S3 so can stream music and video to it directly which is very useful. Very happy with it. I got mine from Richer sounds for £369 with the 5 year guarantee included.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘SMART TV – Recommendations or alternatives’ is closed to new replies.