Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Smart shoes
  • molgrips
    Free Member

They did have tan too in the same shoe. Still not sure, wanted black.

donsimon
    Free Member

They did have tan too in the same shoe. Still not sure, wanted black.

I hate it when that happens.

binners

RACIST!!!

TooTall
    Free Member

I’m looking in the £50 category, incidentally

So your need for ‘smart’ is misleading then? You meant ‘disposable’.

molgrips
    Free Member

No, I meant affordable.

This pair of shoes was about £60 and has lasted me 10 years. Take your snobbery elsewhere. I haven’t got the money to throw around and even if I did I wouldn’t spend it on work shoes.

What the hell do you think you are doing criticising me for having a limited budget? Seriously not impressed.

TooTall
    Free Member

Oh get over yourself. This is STW. You paid £10 more than you want to pay now, 10 years ago. Inflation etc means your £60 shoes then are probably more than £90 now for the same thing. A bit like complaining that your LX shifter costs more now than it did in 2002.

molgrips
    Free Member

Get over myself? What does that actually mean?

You think £90 shoes are any better than £50-60 ones (I did say price bracket) in terms of overall quality?

TooTall
    Free Member

Yes I do. A bit like entry price point for a bike. You get what you pay for in most all things. They will look better and last longer, therefore ending up cheaper for their whole life cost. Then again, it depends what you value.
    I prefer to spend a little more on quality so things last longer over cheap and relatively disposable. Clothes, bikes, cars etc. Plenty people buy cheap clothes often – I buy better quality less often – my own anti-consumerism stance I guess.

molgrips
    Free Member

Then again, it depends what you value.

Currently I value being able to pay my bills and have something on my feet.

I prefer to spend a little more on quality

Me too, but for the next few months I’ve got very little choice. It is a luxury, you know.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

For £50, “on the High St”, I’d just go to Next or Debenhams. Plenty of choices of styles at that price and under.

loum
    Free Member

Its always worth spending good money on your shoes and your bed.
    If your not in one, you’re in the other.

donsimon
    Free Member

A bit like complaining that your LX shifter costs more now than it did in 2002.

Do people still buy LX? How quaint.

molgrips
    Free Member

You get what you pay for in most all things.

Except in fashion, where it’s utterly not true.

Does a £300 Louis Vitton handbag perform six times better than a £50 one from Mark’s? Does it hell.

Shoes can be easily 50% label, in my experience. By which I mean I’ve tried on shoes that were no better made than shoes at half the price.

Its always worth spending good money on your shoes and your bed.
    If your not in one, you’re in the other.

Actually most of my time is spent sitting down, where shoes are not a factor 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Does a £300 Louis Vitton handbag perform six times better than a £50 one from Mark’s? Does it hell.

Your default shoe choice is a DM though.

donsimon
    Free Member

Except at the networking events where you’d be laughed out of the door with your 50quid M&S jobby.

Sui
    Free Member

Hmm Shoes – Get yourself to some of the factory shops in Northampton – they’ve often got some dirt cheap “seconds” (worn by a model once) type things. There’s about 6 of them up there (or down depending on where you are). I don’t have oodles of money, but i’ve made some smart purchases as i believe in looking after your feet – my <cough> 400 quid churches 8 years ago look brand new and have seen a lot of mileage.

I mistakenly bought some casual chelsea boots from Timberland a couple of years ago for about £120 as i though they would last well with the almost daily wear – what a joke they turned out to be, falling apart very quickly (<9months). Have since done some research and invested in some RM Williams, Australian Chelsea/Stockman boots that double as smart and casual with a solid reputation – these can be had from £100 to £300 – mmmmm uber comfy and lovely.

edit forgot how long i’ve had me Churches

molgrips
    Free Member

It was, ten years ago. Weren’t my favourite shoe, but I couldn’t find anythign I liked.

Don – good point, I had not considered that defintion of ‘performance’ 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

Don – good point, I had not considered that defintion of ‘performance’

That is just about the only performance factor of luxury products. 😐

Sui
    Free Member

To the OP, irrespective of what i said above, it’s what you have available at the time. I agree a lot of the cost in some shoes is branding, but then you also can’t argue with Clarkes shoes or the old hush puppies (i had a pair of these that had 2 years constant use and we’re like slippers), though lacked the look i needed for work.

bikebouy
    Free Member

LV bags are soooooo 1998..
    Chav’ist…init
    Would you wear white baggy bell bottomed tracksuit trousers too??

If you seriously turned up at any “event” (including Mayhem or BBB) you would simply and defiantly get locked out.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Smart shoes’ is closed to new replies.