Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Smart phones – older generation or new?
  • dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Looking for a new phone, if I have £250-£300 for a sim free unlocked phone do I go for an older generation “premium” phone, thinking along the lines of Sony Xperia Z5, LG G4, is the Samsung s6 still too expensive? Or are there newer phones which offer better for the same price? Thinking of a monthly sim only contract.

And while I’m on the subject, what are the chances of a UK phone working happily in Canada with a Canadian sim card?

thepurist

Look at some of the non-mainstream flagships – eg Xiaomi have some great top end phones without the price tag of a Samsung. Gearbest is a reliable source.

smokey_jo

moto 5gs plus is £250 and fresh out on release

nickc

look at the OnePlus range

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Have looked at OnePlus but didn’t like the lack of expandable SDcard. Good point on the non-mainstream brands too.

nickjb
    Free Member

Xiaomi is a mainstream brand, just not over here. With any of the far East phone you just need to make sure it has band 20 for UK 4G.

I’d definitely go for that over an older big UK brand. And I’d avoid Sony at all costs

Travis

My Sony Z1 compact is just coming up on it’s last legs.
    I’d look at another Sony, if I could get one the same size.

bitasuite
    Free Member

Potential issue with buying an older model is lack of updates. This can be an issue when newer models get security patches sent to them and the older ones don’t. I’d go for a moto g series or similar.

theboyneeds
    Free Member

Beware… Moto g5 plus doesn’t have a compass chip. I nearly bought one but i use my phone with OS maps a lot.

Caher

Have stopped at the moto g 3 – just cannot justify the spend. Rather now get an iPad Pro or something for the bike.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Smart phones – older generation or new?’ is closed to new replies.