Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Smart phone to replace my iPhone 3G?
  • Duane…
    Free Member

Hi all,

Looking to finally replace my iPhone 3G, keep fixing it but think it’s about time to get a new phone.

Basically looking for either a iPhone 4, or an Android phone.

Budget is somewhere between £0 and £250, but as ever, the less spent, the better. Somewhere around £150 would be great. Happy to get second hand (I think).

Phone is used for messaging, calls, camera (have a decent compact so just for quick snaps really), facebook, bit of internet browsing, and random apps, so just general smart phone use really.

Something vaguely tough would be nice (ie Motorola Defy), as I’m pretty hard on phones, but not essential. Definitely touch screen rather than buttons (ie Blackberry).

My iPhone is currently on a 12 month Vodafone contract (which I have finished, but still on), so would like to get a phone which can be unlocked fairly easily (assuming it’s not on Vodafone) to use my current contract, or be available on a decently cheap, 12 or 18 month contract(£15-20).

Any thoughts/recommendations?

Would like a iPhone 4 but doubt I can afford/justify the cost.

My gf has a Orange San Fransisco (on Virgin) which we’re both impressed with, and is only around £100. There’s also the Monte Carlo (model up), about £160, but mixed reviews from a quick read.

Then there’s the Motorola Defy, tough, doesn’t look amazing but not too important I guess.

Soo, any thoughts? Any phones I should check out? If anyone has anything suitable for sale, please let me know!

Ta, Duane.

Oxboy
    Free Member

tesco do cheap 12 month contracts have a look at them.
    you should also (if you get a 24 month contract) get a decent smart phone put free into a £20 a month contract.

CountZero

Well, with the iPhone 4S now coming, with the 8Gb iPhone 4 as the cheap version, and the 3Gs free, I’d say you’ve got a couple of options. The 4 in the States is $99, so somewhere around £100 here. As you already have a 3, then you can just use your old apps on the new phone. One of the best cameras in a phone, and the GPS works a treat with Viewranger, UK Map and CoPilot Live.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

My I phone died the other day and I bought a Motorola Defy. Meant to be waterproof and dust proof and a bit tough, but it doesn’t look like a big ruberised thing. memory is expandable and battery is removable and so can be replaced if necessary.

I like it. and find it quite a bit nicer to use than my 3g i phone.

I paid £200 sim free. Apart from it having someone elses email address in it when i got it, its been a pleasure to use. The Defy also links to i tunes (or WMP) to get its music too.

I am on Tesco too (O2) but signed up for Sim only a couple of days before the Iphone pegged out.

BTW, my I-Phone just sold on Ebay for £75 despite the phone ear piece not working and there being no backlight.

Duane…
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

Really don’t want to be tied into a 24month contract (if it’s with a phone, not sim-only), just don’t want to be limited for so long, especially as I break phones quite a bit…

Another possibility is, if I can get a contract with a free (or cheap) phone, I don’t mind paying around £25/month if it’s a 18month contract. Seems pretty rare to find half decent phones with decent contracts for 18months though.

Defy is tempting. As is a Galaxy S2 (can get them for £300ish second hand), and then get a £11 Virgin contract.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

If your used to iphone you will find Android a pain in the arse as basically the phone doesnt come set up and you have to put the apps on it, some like it some dont

Duane…
    Free Member

I’m sure it will take a while to get used to, but surely I’ll be happy with it after a bit of use?

chrisjnr
    Free Member

No point in going from Apple OS to android as the gap in ease of use is huge, If you definately want an android phone then get a HTC Desire, doesn’t really matter which model but I had the HD, lovely phone to use but the battery life is sh!te, I returned it after a couple of weeks and went back to an iPhone 3GS which I find more than adequate and a jolly sight better than my 3G. I’m on my phone constantly so battery life is a big thing for me, this may not be the case for you, but the camera on Desire is on an epic scale for a mobile phone, you may want to ditch your compact if you do get it!…

Contracts at the time I got my Desire were going at £25 for Unlimited internet, 800 mins and 3000 text from T-Mobile, which in my mind seemed like a bargain considering the T-Mobile network has been absorbed by Orange which just about doubled its size 😛

Hope it helps…

ransos
    Free Member

I don’t find my Desire to be remotely difficult to use, and I’m no techie. Battery life is ok, but it takes a long time to charge.

z1ppy

Though we’ve yet to be pushed into making a decision, or really touch any of the phones yet, there loads of useful info on my thread here

My problem is the Defy’s look good, but then so do the likes of the Samsung Galaxy S2… mmmm shiney!

ooOOoo
    Free Member

does anyone do a nice bracket for the Defy that would mount onto your handlebars?

clubber
    Free Member

chrisjnr – Member
    No point in going from Apple OS to android as the gap in ease of use is huge

🙄

Having actually done exactly that… it’s fine. Android works very well. Not quite as slick in a couple of things but then it also has things that iphones don’t do (widgets, wifi hotspot, replaceable battery, etc). Funnily enough, my wife always found android easier to use than her work iPhone…

Mine’s a Desire S. I do find HTC Sense (HTC’s version of android basically) to be better than the Samsung version. I’d certainly not go back to Apple for now – no justification these days for the extra cost IMO. In fact, for me, Android suits me better.

beckykirk43
    Free Member

I’ve just gone onto a sim-only contract with my iPhone 3G. Contemplating buying a 4 (not S!) and keeping my existing sim… how easy is it to cut a sim to micro sized?

(PS sorry for slight thread hijack!)

GrahamS

clubber: the iPhone does support wi-fi hotspots. Take a look in Settings->General->Network->Set Up Personal Hotspot

how easy is it to cut a sim to micro sized?

Plenty of tutorials online – but most operators will exchange a SIM card for a microSIM for free anyway.

clubber
    Free Member

ah, fair enough graham. mine didn’t when I swapped.

GrahamS

To be fair, I think some UK operators disable it and make you pay to enable it!

Which being as you’re already paying for the data seems a mite cheeky to me.

chrisjnr
    Free Member

clubber – Member

chrisjnr – Member
    No point in going from Apple OS to android as the gap in ease of use is huge

Having actually done exactly that… it’s fine. Android works very well. Not quite as slick in a couple of things but then it also has things that iphones don’t do (widgets, wifi hotspot, replaceable battery, etc). Funnily enough, my wife always found android easier to use than her work iPhone…

Mine’s a Desire S. I do find HTC Sense (HTC’s version of android basically) to be better than the Samsung version. I’d certainly not go back to Apple for now – no justification these days for the extra cost IMO. In fact, for me, Android suits me better.

I chose the Desire because of HTC Sense, over other Android-based operating systems, and I did find it excellent to use… my main criticism is the battery life, otherwise it was excellent. I just happen to prefer iOSX. iPhones are overrated anyhow, it’s all about the iPad! 😉

Btw, the “personal hotspot” thing only recently came out with the release of the iOS4 update (4.3) which gives 3GS and 4 and iPad users the ability to create their own hotspot. Largely useless for me though but a point of conversation in the occasional nerd talk.

clubber
    Free Member

Funny, I’d say that while the battery life on my DS isn’t anything to write home about, it’s significantly better than what I was getting on my iPhone. And if I really had an issue with it, I could always buy a spare battery and switch if I needed it…

ooOOoo
    Free Member

The batteries these days are wallet sized, so it’s no hassle to keep 1 or 2 with you. Still a major limitation with apple stuff I reckon.

GrahamS

iPhone 4 battery lasts mean fine day to day.

I’ve got a one of these Kensington battery packs if I’m going to be away from power for an extended period:

Worth getting. It provides the power as a USB port, so it’s useful for topping up loads of different gadgets.

chrisjnr
    Free Member

Ooh, looks interesting… linky?

GrahamS

Got mine from Amazon a while ago, but currently says unavailable:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001B193UA

The pack I got came with the battery, lead, adapters to fit all the current mobile phone brands, and a travel charger with swappable plug bits for different countries.

Maybe they are revising it in light of the new “charge everything from micro-USB” rules?

clubber
    Free Member

Charge everything except Apple for which they’ll provide an adaptor, wasn’t it? 🙂

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2011/oct/07/iphone-4s-micro-usb-adapter?newsfeed=true

GrahamS

Yep, a uniquely Apple “solution”:

“This Charges Everything. Again.”
    I wonder if future models will support MicroUSB charging properly?

This seems to be latest version of the Kensington battery:

http://www.kensington.com/kensington/en/gb/p/1414/K38056EU/pocket-battery-for-smartphone-devices.aspx

MarkyG82

Just thought id clear up the confusion regarding usability of android vs iOS.

Apples solution is fixed to one single environment. It works well and as can be seen from sales is highly popular.

Android on the other hand is a hugely customisable interface that can be themed, adjusted and tweaked to death. You can install home screen replacements like launcher pro or launcher7 that have many options and settings to make them what you want.

The android that most people see is just the manufacturers interpretation of these home screen launchers.

So you can make it as easy or complicated as you wish.

For those that have android devices, I reccomend trying both of the launchers mentioned as well as zeam launcher.

Duane…
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies all.

Have a mate selling a 32gb iPhone 4 for around £300 which is very tempting. But then many people seem to be raving about the Defy.

My mate has just got a Galaxy S2 and is finding the whole drag and drop lark a right pain. Anyone else find this? Guessing you can get software so you can still use iTunes?

Ta, Duane.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

I went from an iphone 3G to a Galaxy S2 and have had no problems at all.

Really don’t get this “if you’re used to an iphone you’ll struggle with android” argument. Sure there are differences but it’s hardly a big deal, just down to personal preference.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Android on the other hand is a hugely customisable interface that can be themed, adjusted and tweaked to death.

why all the IT geeks i know (thankfully not that many) have Android phones, this way they can take their work to the pub with them and have a small portable conversation piece to chat about with other IT geeks which conveniently doubles as a phone.

fisha
    Free Member

I went from iphone to Desire to Galaxy S2 recently. All in, I wish I had stuck with the iphone and gone to the iphone 4.

The desire as a phone just didn’t seem to work for me … i couldn’t get on with the keypad, always struggled to type accurately with it … but liked the size of the screen and HTC sense.

Changed up to a SGS2. Screen is amazing. Speed of it is really good. Keypad with swype is good. Battery life is excellent. …. but its a little too big for me ( and I have largish hands )

Througout it all, when I pick up an iphone 4, I still think i should have gone with that. For whatever reason I can type accurately on it ( even though its a smaller screen ) and the size of it suits me more. Physically for me its the better phone.

As for the whole Andriod / iOS sfotware thing …. both are very good these days and when it comes down to the base functions, both are easy enough to use. I’d actually say that Android functions a little better in a lot of areas in the manner it does some things such as press to hold to bring up menus of options.

Overall, I’d swap my SGS 2 for an iphone 4 , but it doesn’t bother me about keeping the SGS2 either … its still a very very good phone.

simon_g

Yep, a uniquely Apple “solution”:

“This Charges Everything. Again.”
    I wonder if future models will support MicroUSB charging properly?

EU standard for “data-enabled” phones. Apple have said that they have no plans to stick any ports other than the dock connector on their phones, but the adaptor allows them to comply without changing the design.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

When I said about Android being a pain, its just the fact that if you are an iphone user, or old Windows etc, as a consumer it can be a bit of a surprise that you have to set every thing up yourself, rather than it being supplied ready to go. However if you are expecting it, then its not an issue.

kayak23

I have an HTC Desire HD, fantastic phone, battery lasts for ages(if you don’t use the phone)
    I carry one of these around with me…

I see iphones versus Android a little like I do bicycles. Some people will buy a complete bike and be chuffed to bits with all the spec and never really change a thing except the odd grip here or pedal there.
    Others will buy just a frame, and build the rest up with their favourite parts…

Only thing is, if you buy the complete build, you are pretty much limited to what the manufacturer wanted you to have….

GrahamS

Hmm.. except you’re not. You can still change plenty of bits. You just can’t get a welding torch out and change the frame geometry like you can with an Android “bike”.

Given that 99.9% of people can’t weld, some see this as a good thing.
    Even those quite capable of welding 😀

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Nice, but hardly wallet sized, as per these:

And of course, it allows you to go from 0-100% battery in under 1 min.
    Just saying – it’s peace of mind if you are out & about

GrahamS

True, but I can use the Kensington one to charge my iPhone, your Sony, my TomTom, an iPad, some cameras, in fact anything with a USB connection or adapter. Which is useful.

And I only really need it when camping or on long flights where the budget airline is too tight to provide a charging point.

rwc03
    Free Member

HTC sense is a better interface to samsung, but for whatever reason they refuse to put a large capacity battery in any of their phones (I charge it every night, and often give it a boost via usb at work). I would recommend my desire hd to anyone, and it was free on my 18 month contract compared to £200 for the iphone 4. The iphone is an excellent device but personally I can’t justify the extra cash when the htc does everything I need (including itunes control). Plus looking at maps, internet and apps (generally free) on the 4.3 screen is definitely an advantage compared to the iphone.

GrahamS

Plus looking at maps, internet and apps (generally free) on the 4.3 screen is definitely an advantage compared to the iphone

Why is a big low resolution screen better? You can fit less on it. 😀

Only advantage I can see is that your fingers take up less space while playing games. Major disadvantage is it is too big for your pocket.

craa22uk

i’m keen to find this for ‘free’ on a contract – i’m sure i’ll want to go back to iphone but long as the handset lasts ok i’ll still have a IP60 IPX7 rated smart phone for biking

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/09/hands-on-review-of-sony-ericsson-xperia.html

i do worry about going from iOS to ‘droid though

jamesy01
    Free Member

Remember iSO 5 is released in 90 minutes or so.

From what I’ve read its supposed to narrow the gap between iSO and android even further!

PS….avoid Blackberry 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Smart phone to replace my iPhone 3G?’ is closed to new replies.