Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • Smart meters – any reason why not?
  • Matt24k
    Free Member

Right, and this is better than manufacturing millions of new widgits [that still do the same basic function of the existing dumb widgits], shipping them around the world

You could apply this point to most updated widgits eg iPhone 6/7/8.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Yes I can, and you’re point is?

GrahamS

sharkbait: in theory it is a one off cost (environmental and financial) versus as ongoing monthly cost.
    (Provided meter hardware is compatible across providers which it really should be)

MrOvershoot

Matt24k – Member

Smart meters do not connect to your home wifi.
    The following is from Smart Energy GB

Inside your home, smart meters use their own secure, wireless network using radio waves, just like mobile phones or TVs do. (It won’t use your wifi and you don’t need wifi in your home for it to work).

Your smart meters will link to a similar wireless network outside your home. This network is run by the new Data and Communications Company, which is overseen by the energy regulator Ofgem.

There are strict new regulations and codes of practice to keep smart meter data private and secure.

I really can’t see the objection to knowing how and when you are using energy from either the consumer of providers point of view.

Thanks Matt, TBH I knew the answer but just wanted see if anyone claimed theirs did 😉

I’m well used to “Smart Metering” as I manage the electricity supply to our site where we have had smart metering for over 10 years and can see online our usage by the minute.
    Very useful when you are in the Triad season (only 2 more days to go) as with an hourly consumption of 1300kw it gets expensive when the charge goes from 5p a unit to £35 a unit!!!

I can see the future of domestic supply going the same as industrial as there just isn’t the overhead left in the grid to cope with peak demands so “load management” will come?

Matt24k
    Free Member

@sharkbait, you are looking at this from your perspective and I am looking at it from mine. You see only downsides, I see mainly upsides.
    A massive upside for me is that my old gas meter made a really annoying pumping sound when the house was quiet and the smart meter is silent. I can also tell you from my personal experience that I am using less power since having the smart meter fitted. YMMV and all that.

cinnamon_girl

Well they automatically send your meter reads instead of a bod on a bike having to cycle round individual houses to take a reading and post bits of paper through doors where no one is home.

I’d imagine that saves a reasonable bit of energy across the nation.

FTFY Graham. 😉

cinnamon_girl

I can also tell you from my personal experience that I am using less power since having the smart meter fitted.

So you were being extravagant before it was fitted? As a matter of interest how often do you look at your smart meter, on average?

cinnamon_girl

Jeez sharkbait, you’re even more cynical than moi. 😀

Matt24k
    Free Member

I wouldn’t say I was extravagant. Four bed terraced house and gas and electricity were just under £1200 in the last 12 months.
    The smart meter gives me a valid reason to tell Mrs 24k to shut the doors and turn the lights off as she moves around the house 😉
    The smart meter display is next to my computer so I glance at it on a regular basis. So far today we have spent £2.54.
    Ironing and hoovering now gets done on a Sunday between 9 and 5 when we have free electricty.

paul4stones

My children (older teens) now routinely turn lights off without me having to sound like my grandad all the time.

Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Smart meters – any reason why not?’ is closed to new replies.