Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • Smart Casual – Shirt, Jeans, Shoes
  • 19ninety
    Free Member

Whadda ya wear? Inspire me …
    I’m a DC’s, shorts n t-shirt guy, “posh” weekend wear is lost on me, don’t do bars n stuff or clubbing (seals?), however I have a nice evening out next week and it’s strictly no trainers, t’s, polos, etc.

Need some ideas for smart casual shirt, jeans and shoes, all google is giving me is cool youngsters with ripped skinny jeans … I’m knocking on 40 with a lil bit of a belly 😳

garage-dweller

I do jeans + t-shirt, polo shirt or maybe a shirt plus brown shoes or trainers.

If it can’t be done in that gear then it’s suit and open necked shirt and black shoes.

I’m no good at the middle ground of chinos/smart trousers etc.

Other sartorial views may be more fashionable.

Also 40 and centrally soft!

MrSmith
    Free Member

Jeans: fit is important, a nice taper and get a high enough rise, no superfluous stitching/details/rips, no funny fades/rinses just indigo dyed. Don’t have to be selvage but if you do a turn-up it’s looks neater than non-selvage, for cyclists an Edwin ED-55 is a good cut. Don’t go slouchy anti-fit. A decent belt that matches your shoes, not exactly but don’t go for black if you are wearing tan shoes.

Shoes: don’t let the side down with shite shoes, no pointy scuffed monstrosities a dark tan/brown brogue/oxford or even a suede loafer, don’t go for black office shoes, it will look like a dress down Friday in an accountants office.

Shirt, 3 important things, fit, fit and fit, not baggy or billowy round the waist, a proper fitting collar even if you don’t do the top button up, nothing worse than a wrong size collar spreading wide open. No silly double buttons at the collar, no logo’s no flowery prints. You can go slightly less formal with heavier weave cotton or linen.
    Basically you can cover almost formal to casual by softening the fabrics (suede/linen/soft cotton through to polished oxfords/crisp shirt etc or a mix but it goes wrong if you try to pair ultra formal with sloppy casual)

Whatever you do, don’t ignore the shoes, and if you want to go snazzy with colour only do t with one item, so those bright patterned socks are fine just don’t do the same with the shirt.

If you get it right you will look better than most as uk men do not dress well and 99% look like a sack of shite.

If you get it wrong nobody will notice for the reason above.

binners

If you’re a bloke over 40 then you’re effectively invisible. Wear what you like.

On a serious note, my default for the last few years has been Debenhams. Nice casual shirts and smart jeans, for the bloke the wrong side of 40, from John Roscha, Jasper Conran, Duffer and Jeff Banks. Try TK Maxx too. I’ve picked up some nice Raulph Lauren and French Connection casual shirts

binners

Shoes wise – I love Henley Chukka Boots (again from Debenhams – they’re ridiculously comfortable for wearing all day and don’t look too formal. I’ve got a few pairs

edhornby

There’s a website called thread that will give you lots of ideas and tips on what to wear and how to match stuff. MrSmith has given you good advice, jeans unfaded, dark brown brogues or Chelsea boots and something that fits well for a shirt, you could wear a T-shirt if it’s not too lairy or sloppy fit (or a polo but personally I don’t like them..)

Cords from hebcotro?

Superficial
    Free Member

The current trend for chinos (even amongst the young uns) is a godsend for this situation.

Cougar

The last time I went shopping for jeans the high street choices were skinny, extra-skinny or skin-tight. Perhaps a good look when you’re 18, not so much when you’re 45. Ended up in the Levi outlet paying silly money for something that didn’t make me look like I’d just escaped from Belsen.

Oblongbob

My suggestion for a failsafe option would be a plain or checked oxford cotton button down shirt, dark neat jeans or chinos, brown brogues/loafers/boat shoe/desert boot or suchlike, maybe suede, and a decent brown belt. I’d probably put a tweed blazer/sport coat on too, but maybe that’s going a bit far for you! As someone said above fit is important.

Oblongbob

I’ve got cyclist legs and find gap straight cut works for me for jeans and other trousers. Usually 40% off in a sale so not too bad….or some moleskins from Hebtroco?!… 😯

finephilly
    Free Member

You need a collar and shoes. personally, I would avoid jeans and go for trousers. depends on the event.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Avoid jeans if there’s any doubt. Stick with casual cotton slacks – even ones with a “jeans” type cut will look smarter than jeans. Nice long sleeved shirt tucked in, tan or grey suede shoes.

And remember, always better to be overdressed than underdressed.

lunge

Trousers – slim but not skinny, dark blue and not stonewash. Levi 511 are a good start point, blue chins work too.
    Shoes – brown brogues are the default option. Smart brown boots can work too, though push the outfit a touch more casual.
    Shirt – an Oxford cotton is a reasonable start point, maybe with a check, maybe not. It should fit well and in no way look like a work shirt, it should have long sleeves and should be tucked in.
    Other – brown belt, ideally on that matches your shoes. Jacket is good too.

colournoise

Dress codes for social situations are an outdated concept IMO.

If I can’t go dressed like me then I won’t go.

MrSmith
    Free Member

It’s worth having a look at MrPorter. I’m not suggesting you spend 2.5k on an outfit but looking at some items and then what they pair it with in the photographs, they suggest a ‘look’ that you can then replicate from the high st.

footflaps

If you’re a bloke over 40 then you’re effectively invisible. Wear what you like.

And hopefully, by the time you’ve hit 40 you’ve given up worrying about what other people think you look like.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m not a fan of this bloke, but he seems to dress like he “doesn’t care”

zippykona

This man has it sorted.

tom200

If I can’t go dressed like me then I won’t go.

This^^^^^^^^100%

CountZero

Quality pair of dark blue selvedge denims, Uniqlo in my case, or else a pair of plain black denims, nice shirt, usually a check flannel, a pair of dark brown Dr Martens brogue boots and a nice black wool jacket I got from M&S years ago.
    I’ve reached the age of 63 this month without ever having, or needing a suit, and although it’s technically a requirement that I wear a tie (!) in my current job, the first time in my life I’ve ever been required to, as there’s no oversight when you’re all over the south of England driving cars, I’ve ditched the tie until someone comes and checks dress code compliance.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

In the absence of tjagain:- Cornish pasties, action slacks and a nice Pringle tank top over a blue short sleeved shirt. Oh and trim your moustaches

shifter
    Free Member

You must have a pair of jeans, wear them. Maybe even wash them first. Nice fitted shirt from TKMaxx. Buy some nice shoes. The shoes will cost, but you might suddenly find other opportunities to wear them once you’ve invested.

ctk
    Free Member

I picked up a nice shirt and pair of chinoish trews in Linea / house of Fraser for dead cheap in the sales recently.

19ninety
    Free Member

MrSmith – thank you, those are really helpful replies and great info for a chap like me! Thanks everyone else too 🙂

I did far too much searching online and ended up well and truely lost but eventually I decided I like the look of tan/brown shoes, grey or blue jeans with a brown belt and a light colour short sleeve shirt.
    Looking at Flex Formal Derby or Tredflex on Jacamo as they look quite smart and multi functional too and would work with trousers… I like the look of Brogues but wonder if they are a bit too fancy and might stand out a bit as I’ve got size 14 feet. Trustyle Chelsea Boots looks nice too.
    Took a quick trip up to Sainsbury and managed to find jeans that actually fit, it’s a small mircale!! 6’2″ with a 34 ish inseam, went with long slim stretch fit, I’ve NEVER bought slim jeans in my life! Quite like them and they fit ok for a chap with large hips n thighs, not too tight.
    Found a nice lightly patterened off white short sleeve shirt, works well tucked in and out loose so I’m covered depending what the level of smartness is.

Breathing in and have Magnum walking boots on cos they’re brown.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You left the lube out.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

ooh goody a fashion thread 😆 just going to read back through it all and see how many times people mention tk maxx and cyclist’s legs.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Undo that top button.

tjagain

Smart casual -= no such thing. Jeans are never smart and should never be worn with a shirt with a collar and dress shoes. Jeepers.

theotherjonv

thank goodness, I thought he must be ill or something ^

Gunz
    Free Member

That Thread site is good.

funkmasterp

Undo that top button

Slowly.

Did you not read the thread from earlier in the week OP. Short sleeved shirts are the devil!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

top button is undone i think. OP main thing is if you feel confortable then all good. enjoy your night!

andykirk
    Free Member

I wouldn’t go. Apart from requirements for say weddings and funerals dress codes really get my back up.

Ignore the ‘lost sheep’ advice from any who tell you you must go wearing what everyone else is wearing these days. Wear what you like and tell anyone who disagrees to bugger off.

Anywhere that doesn’t allow trainers is not worth going to. You really can’t beat being the only guy in trainers on a night out and forcing everyone else in the group not to attend naff ‘dress code’ nightclubs.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

If you want a value option then Uniqlo linen shirts are very good basics and the darker colours mask a bit of excess round the middle.

Jeans are out in is context IMO – although after an absence of about 20 years I did buy some recently – Levi’s athletic fit – a bit of a misnomer, but great for rugby thighs! Can’t believe I bought em though, let alone wear them.

19ninety
    Free Member

Top button is undone 🙂

Have been told as long as I look smart I’ll be fine, no checkered shirts and the like, so hopefully with a nice pair of shoes/boots I’ll be alright!

Fancy these boots:
    http://www.jdwilliams.co.uk/shop/trustyle-leather-chelsea-boot-standard-fit/pa341/product/details/show.action?pdBoUid=6018#colour:Brown,size:14

or shoes:
    http://www.jdwilliams.co.uk/shop/leather-flex-formal-derby-standard-fit/ag507/product/details/show.action?pdBoUid=6018#colour:Tan,size:14

http://www.jdwilliams.co.uk/shop/leather-formal-brogues-standard-fit/ag187/product/details/show.action?pdBoUid=6018#colour:Brown,size:14
    (or tan)
    http://www.jdwilliams.co.uk/shop/base-london-lace-up-shoes/nv069/product/details/show.action?pdBoUid=5201#colour:Tan,size:14

BTW: I understand what folks are saying about not liking dress codes but I want to and have to go to this do and I can’t turn up in baggy faded jeans, t-shirt and skate shoes.

Also I’m not out to be at the height of fashion, just wanna be presentable.

andykirk
    Free Member

19ninety you sound just like me. You have already hit fashion nirvana with skate shoes and baggy trousers and t-shirts. Good man. We must stand together. When will the rest of society catch up I wonder. It makes me wince when I see the current over-tight trouser-eating botty crew and their silly brown pointy shoes. Leave the tight clothes for the ladies please.

smell_it
    Free Member

No matter how good the jeans or the shoes, if you are over 40 and combine the two you just become Clarkson. Luckily, there are alternatives.

P-Jay
    Free Member

God, I’m glad I’m forty Married, I just don’t care anymore.

My – “oh shit, I have to dress up” uniform is:

Jeans, not ripped, not faded to make it look like I work for a living or worse, dirty – Dark Blue.

Shoes – Summer, Brogues, because I’ve had them for years,
    Winter – Boots, because I don’t like to have cold toe-toes.

Shirt – boring patterns, easy to iron, comfortable – they never cost more than £20 and they’re usually from Sainsburys or M&S.

A scowl that says, “don’t talk to me”.

funkmasterp

What’s with this not being allowed to wear certain clothes once you’re over forty bollocks that repeatedly comes up on here? It’s just plain weird. Dress for comfort and arse to anything else.

MrSmith
    Free Member

No matter how good the jeans or the shoes, if you are over 40 and combine the two you just become Clarkson. Luckily, there are alternatives.

That’s crap, top gear presenters and the audience all dress like sacks of shite, big difference between a scuffed pointy cheap shoe with antifit frayed jeans and a well cut pair of selvage and a proper Goodyear welded brogue.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Smart Casual – Shirt, Jeans, Shoes’ is closed to new replies.