• This topic has 76 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by emsz.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • smart casual
  • Steelsreal

what’s that about, I am neither smart or casual..

can I not wear what I want (jeans and a tshirt) to your party?

no I have to go and buy something as I only have my work suit or t-shirts..don’t even know what to buy…

gggrrr

smart casual

RealMan
    Free Member

Jeans and a shirt. Simple.

BoardinBob

chinos and a shirt. jeans are a minefield. no faded ones. no boot cut etc.

RealMan
    Free Member

jeans are a minefield. no faded ones. no boot cut etc.

Skinny, dark blue, sorted.

Steelsreal

shirt tucked in?

Steelsreal

wrecker
    Free Member

Skinny jeans?
    Not if you’re hetro.

Get a grip

BoardinBob

shirt tucked in

if the bottom if the shirt is lower than the bottom of your arse cheeks then it must be tucked in. otherwise it can be worn out but generally it should be tucked in

john_drummer
    Free Member

suit & tie

remove tie

bruneep

Toga?

Coyote
    Free Member

Steel, that’s “Sports Casual”.

Boils my piss when people state dress codes.

jeans are a minefield. no faded ones. no boot cut etc

if the bottom if the shirt is lower than the bottom of your arse cheeks then it must be tucked in. otherwise it can be worn out but generally it should be tucked in

You are taking the piss aren’t you?

M6TTF
    Free Member

Partridge in Paris – job done

lunge

It’s really not difficult. Chinos or dark jeans, shirt tucked in, shoes and matching belt, jacket is optional.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Coyote
    Free Member

It’s really not difficult. Chinos or dark jeans, shirt tucked in, shoes and matching belt, jacket is optional. Wear what you feel comfortable in without being too outlandish.

shoes and matching belt

😯

Steelsreal

chinos, really! do they still make them?

okay so clothes i haven’t got for a party for people i hardly know..worn in a way that i feel uncmfortable in..

there goes the new brakes budget

might just go in shorts and a t-shirt in protest

really looking forward to it now

Ewan
    Free Member

My works business casual is amusingly prescriptive; there’s a whole paragraph in the policy about avoiding the ‘turtle’ effect. For those unfamiliar with this sartorial sin, it’s wearing a collarless shirt with a polo neck jumper – thus looking like a turtle emerging from its shell.

😆

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

okay so clothes i haven’t got for a party for people i hardly know..worn in a way that i feel uncmfortable in..

there goes the new brakes budget

Don’t go then get the new brakes 🙂

Steelsreal

good point….a suddenly ill child could mean..

Lifer
    Free Member

wrecker – Member

Skinny jeans?
    Not if you’re hetro.

Bless

richmars

One of the things you learn as you get old is not to do things you don’t want to do. Going out to parties is something I never liked doing, but did anyway. Now, I just don’t go. I may be called anti-social, but so what? My time is more important.

This sounds like a good example; you don’t have anything to wear, for a party with people you don’t know. (And new brakes to buy!)

Steelsreal

I know, even better news is some old work colleagues are going including someone I had to ‘let go’ a while back…

off to the rose website I think 🙂

emsz
    Free Member

You lot sound like my little brov (13) not wanting to put smart clothes on.

somethings never change.

Skinny jeans?
    Not if you’re hetro.

this is a joke, right? please tell me you’re joking.

Steelsreal

Skinny jeans?
    Not if you’re hetro over 12 stone

there, that makes more sense

sweepy
    Free Member

A dress code at a party? No!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Chino’s (pleated BTW) FFS, these are such a huge no no that I’m a flabergasted that someones even mentioned them.
    If you have to wear them, make them the no pleat, modern cut straight leg variety and either black/grey/sand in colour never ever go for those pasty beige iron crease debacles.. Lots of Guys wearing modern cut chinos in this Glee Foundation Society of ours and they can look really good. You can wear a Polo shirt too but if it’s got a “polo” badge on it be prepared for uber embarassed giggles as people notice, make the polo shirt a slim cut and stand tall, on no occasion be tempted to tuck it into jeans/chinos or you will look a tosser (sorry, but you will)
    Shoes and belt must match in colour, so too a watch strap unless it’s a metal braclett type.
    No necklaces please unless it’s got your wedding ring on.

Having said all that you really can’t go wrong with dark skinny jeans and a dark blue or black shirt or polo shirt. You can lighten that up with a pair of light tan loafers (ALDO, no not ALDI, ALDO) do some modern takes on the loafer. If you feel cold put on a very dark suit jacket combine with jeans but this time wear a dark t-shirt, again this must be slim fitting, then add a pair of converse.

Anything with Ralph Lauren on it vom in multicolour, you will look a ****.

scaredypants

where’s the party? Maybe the venue has a code

Smart casual = no trainers shorts or vests AFIC, the rest is just down to what I feel like wearing

sweepy
    Free Member

If I wanted to wear a polo shirt, i’d get a job at MacDonalds.

hels
    Free Member

Subverting dress codes is one of my favorite games. As is wearing clothes to work that have sweary words written on them somewhere. Childish fun.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’d go with RichMars advice and just not go. Anyone who can use the term ‘Smart Casual’ in a serious manner needs to be avoided.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Suppose the vehicle equivellent of smart casual is the Ford Kuga

hels
    Free Member

No no no, definitely go, turn up in Halloween costumes or something. Smart ones, of course.

avdave2

Why are you going to a party with a dress code?
    Are you as dull as the people hosting it?

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Smart casual means no blue denim (unless you live in the US), and as to shirt in or out it depends on the cut of the shirt. If the shirt is scalloped (i.e. the front and back are longer than the sides) it is designed to be tucked in, always).

Ladies (and I use the term loosely), bra strap should be hidden, ditto top of underwear…but that’s just standard dress code.

The forces (I’ve seen the Navy stuff, I guess the others have something similar) have a video dedicated to what officers may and may not wear whilst off-duty (because even whilst off duty they are still a officer in HM Forces).

SaxonRider

@Steelisreal

Get over it. If you don’t want to go to the party, then don’t go. But if someone wants to hold a party with a particular atmosphere/ethos, it is entirely within their rights.

If I work my ass off to make a nice dinner, and do my house up to create a nice atmosphere, and invite some other couple over with the request that they dress slightly more formally than they would if we were just having a bbq, it is hardly unreasonable.

bruneep

Like this….

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Bikebouy = Gok Wan

Seriously, life’s too short to get stressed our about inane crap like this. It’s a party, so if you don’t fancy it, don’t go.

Woody
    Free Member

😯

Waaaaay too many fatist fashion victims on this thread.

Go in what you feel comfortable in within reason ie. no sweats, trainers. etc. and there will ALWAYS be someone there who has spent a fortune trying to look cool but either looks like a fashion victim or a sack of shit tied in the middle.

After a couple of sherbets no-one will care anyway!

uplink
    Free Member

Where’s [strike]TJ[/strike] Jock Wan?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘smart casual’ is closed to new replies.