Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Smallest Multitool – wih chain breaker
  • gribble
    Free Member

As above.

I have a very small Specialized sear pack with CO2 and inner tube, patches, but no multitool (and it is already quite full). My Topeak Hexus is excellent but too big to fit.

I have been enjoying riding without the weight of my camelback, but once had a chain break on me 8+ miles from home. It was a pain. In the winter I could imagine it might be even more of a pain.

What is the smallest tool with a chain breaker? Saw a Crank Bros multi mini 17 – not sure if I could stuff this in, but looks nice and small:

Small multi tool with chain tool

Anything smaller that would work?

Nick

I can definately recommend the Crank Bros Multi Mini 17, really good tool. It’s quite flat so you might find it’ll squeeze in. I’d never go on a ride without a chain tool.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Tape you inner tube somewhere on your frame to fee up space in your pack. Some of the very small multi tools might have a chain breaker, but it may be nearly impossibly to use.

akak
    Free Member

A park tools IB-3 is quite small and you can take off unnecessary tools. I don’t know if it is smaller than the crank bros though.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Top peak mini 18 is really good.The Chain tool actually works too.

Why not get a slightly bigger seat pack?

Probably cheaper

Moses

Just carry a small chain tool as well – the Park one folds flat, takes up little space & works very well.

AD

Another vote for the Topeak Mini 18 – chain tool is a little bit fiddly but works fine.

sonofapitch
    Free Member

Topeak mini 18 is as good as they get. 🙂

StirlingCrispin

You don’t need a great chaintool – just any chaintool.
    All you need it for is to remove the broken bits and then fit a rapid link.

The Slimbo is small and cheap, the Crank-17 excellent and the Specialized EMT light. Choice is yours.

billyboy
    Free Member

I prefer the Crank Bros one but the topeak 18 is smaller and it does work

tang
    Free Member

topeak here, also have a spesh emd which is small and the chain tool is ok.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Lezyne V10 or Carbon 10. Same tools, just the carbon is lighter.

Speshpaul

Have had a crank bros one in the past i found that it rusted- poor chrome, the allen keys wet soft and rounded.
    Buy a set of good allen keys (park) a rounded bolt you need to get out when on the trail is no use, and a good chain tool (again the folding park one is very good)
    as above lose the tube on the seat post or frame, or get a bigger seat pack

stumpy01

I’ve got the Topeak Mini 18 and as above it works really well.

Used the chain tool once and it works fine.

But, I’ve also got a little Park Tool chain tool that does the job better and doesn’t take much space up (although thinking about it, I haven’t seen it for ages….! Must have a rummage)….

neilnevill
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-15-function-multi-tool/

fairly small and not very costly, feels solid enough and hasn’t rusted in the time I’ve had it BUT I’ve only used it a little so can’t really comment on the quality of the tools. It is a damn sight smaller and lighter than my Alien 2 though so it just lives in the bottom of a bag

timmys
    cookeaa

I’ve got the CB multi. Quite impressed TBH seems to have lasted better than other trail tools I’ve had and the chain tool has come in handy a few times.

Having said that I do like the idea of the tulio…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Smallest Multitool – wih chain breaker’ is closed to new replies.