Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Small log-burner in a Sprinter van/ camper will I die?
  • olly2097
    Free Member

Do it.
    Just need the following;
    Van painted in khaki green
    Torn seat covers
    A jumper with holes
    White boy dreadlocks
    Kids with names like Jet.
    Marijuana

Then you’ll be safe and warm

bedmaker

Much as I love my woodburners, I don’t think I could be bothered with one in a van VS a diesel heater as others have said.

Not from a safety point of view, it can be made safe very easily. More the room it takes up and carrying of fuel when space is already at a premium.

It would be nice though..

I’d do it with steel heatshielding round it to keep it safe and compact whilst allowing combustibles close by.
    Some modern stoves can be place 10mm away from a combustible surface at the rear. There’s no magic to it, they just have multiple layers of thin steel plate with air gaps between.

spooky_b329

I can’t think of many times where I’ve used my very convenient and quick Propex gas heater (or diesel Eber in my works van) where I would have been motivated to light a van stove, or feel that it was appropriate to light a stove and make it so obvious I was settled down for a few hours.

i.e If I’m sneakily staying in a pubs car park after a Christmas party, parked overnight at a 24/7 supermarket for an early start for an epic ride, spending the day at a tourist attraction, or legitimately staying on at a weekend horse event among lots of other horseboxes…none of those situations would I be thinking, lets push my luck by actually even having a chimney on the roof, let alone start emitting smoke from it!

Ebers and Propexs are pricy, but they are also clean, safe, whisper quiet (you’ll need a silencer for an Eber) have a thermostat, and sit neatly tucked away under a seat box with a ready supply of gas or diesel. And once you’ve added all the various ‘extras’ needed to install the stove, I bet you are not far off the cost.

There is a canadian bloke on youtube called Justincredible, he has installed a couple of real flame gas fires which look just the ticket if you want the comfort of…eerrrr…real fire 🙂

eskay

I had some friends who were travelers many years ago and they always had log burners in their vans/caravans (as did most others on their ‘sites’). None of them ever died and I don’t think they would have passed any safety tests!

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

It’s the same as cladding the inside with wood as opposed to plastic paneling.. it’s more natural.

There’s nowt more natural than sitting in the back of a couple of tons of steel and plastic, burning wood chopped up with a petrol-powered saw, having driven there powered by oil 😆

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Small log-burner in a Sprinter van/ camper will I die?’ is closed to new replies.