Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Small kids and high temperature. Help needed.
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

My little daughter, almost 4 y.o., fell ill tonight. The temperature is around 39.2 deg. Celsius. I gave hee Calpol, cooling plaster and something to drink.
    She isn’t shivering, she’s asleep quietly and peacefully. No pain, just the temperature.
    I don’t want to give an antibiotic, our GP recommended Clonamox which made a friend’s daughter really ill a couple of weeks ago. What else can I do?
    BTW as I’m not in UK, NHS doesn’t apply and my local hospotal should be burnt down for the way they treated Vicky last time (4 injection to numb her hed before 3 stitches were done)..
    Any ideas?

druidh
    Free Member

our GP recommended Clonamox

A paid professional has already given you advice.

djglover
    Free Member

Happens to our two quite regularly. Apply calpol a cuddle and don’t worry till it hits 40c

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I think clonomax is amoxicillin. Why did the Dr recomend that? If a pro gives advice its usual to take it. Did you get a diagnosis?

Amoxicillin ( if tht is what it is) is unlikely to make a child ill but unnecessary drugs are always worth avoiding.

Have you checked her temp again since the calpol and stuff? 39 is not outrageously high but is well raised. Whats your gut instinct?

SaxonRider

My daughter has a history of being really susceptible to fevers. We were told by health professionals as well as other experienced parents that overlapping Calpol with Ibuprofen was a good thing to do, as was (as cruel as it sounds) giving her a cool bath.

The combination approach has worked every time.

Oh, and one hint: if you have cheap overseas calls, give a Canadian or an American 24-hour pharmacy a call. On a couple of occasions, when I have had an out-of-hours type question, I rang Shoppers Drug Mart in Canada and talked to a pharmacist. For all they knew, I was calling from next door.

samuri
    Free Member

Help the temperature to come down with damp towels and the like.
    You can affect kids temperatures really easily though. They shoot around all over the place. With kids, it’s usually more useful to see how alert they are more than their temperature (unless it flies up to scary levels)

scaredypants

hot kids are not not happy kids and can (ed: very rarely) develop febrile convulsions, which will scare the shite out of you if it happens. You can generally use calpol & ibuprofen on rotation if she needs it (each can be given 4 times a day), assuming there’s no reason she can’t have ibuprofen. Lots to drink.

clonamox (amoxicillin) – presumably you have a prescription (I doubt you can just buy it – Ireland aren’t you?). As druidh says, GP has examined her and we haven’t, so hard to advise against (though most fevers in kids are viral, same as adults). Amoxicillin is NOT well known for making kids ill (unless she happened to be allergic) – in what way was your friend’s daughter ill on it ?

ed/add: how did you measure temp – gob/forehead/armpit ?

Hairychested
    Free Member

Our GP is antibiotics happy, he prescribes them for everything.
    I’m by her bed with the mobile and if it gets really bad I’ll ring The States or whatever. She’s not suffering, just very hot.
    I suppose I should really relax but it’s my kid and I’m no good at it.
    djglover, thanks. That’s exactly what I was hoping was needed.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Defo get her on some ibuprofen as well as the calpol. Calpol gets temp down quickly but isnt that long lasting, ibuprofen works slower but lasts longer.
    Overlapping the two can work really well.
    I’m not a doc but my sister is a pharmacist and this is her suggestion also.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

As already said, calpol and ibuprofen one very 3 hours (so 6 hours between the same one). Also worth finding out what her exact dose is. The amount on the bottle is a guide, a doctor will be able to tell you exact dose for her size. For example our son was on 10ml calpol 5ml profen, but when he went to hospital for a chest infection they worked out he could have 14ml and 7.5. Dont work it out yourself, as you know it can be “a bit” dangerous to give to much of either….

Drac

Yeah ibuprofen and paracetamol mix as long as she’s allowed to take them. Lots if fluids and don’t cover her in loafs blankets. Tepard bath not cold you don’t want her going into shock.

Febrial convulsions aren’t rare at all they’re scary though but relax if it happens undress her and cool her head with wet towels.

Why ring the states use NHS Direct if you have an equivilnant there or google 24 hour pharmacies they exist in the UK too.

Drac

I’ll add both paracetamol and ibuprofen are 4 hourly so it’s 2 hour apart not 3. Speak to a pharmacy and they’ll let you know if you can give higher dose than the box says.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Ambrose

I’m in no way meaning to knock or denigrate any of the contributors: but remember that you are asking this question of a well meaning bunch of (possibly) total strangers whose medical qualifications you have no idea of verifying.

I’d suggest a known ‘good’ source of information. STW may guide you to it.

ivantate
    Free Member

depends if the source of the fever is viral as to whether the amoxycillin will work or not. having spent the afternoon in the hospital with our little boy who has a ‘bit of a chest infection’ to quote the doctor it seems they cant really tell what the cause is and have also given us amoxycillin just incase it might work.

Remember not to use cold water or towel to cool a child as it might stop the lood flow to the skin and make the problem worse.

For our 1 year old they said anything over 39.7c get him into a+e. We have an in the ear type thermometer so its easy to measure and very accurate.

Hairychested
    Free Member

She’s just woken up after a couple of hours sleep. Coughins and spitting thick saliva but lower temperature.
    She’s already managed to ask for strawberries, banana milk and smarties. Clearly recovering I’d say.
    Funnily enough, the 24 hrs pharmacy is closed due to adverse weather conditions i.e. -4 degrees and 4” of snow.
    Off to bed for a quick 40 winks. Thanks for the suggestions, I forgot about ibuprofen.

deep_river
    Free Member

My 2 year old has not been well generally since he was born. He regularly has temperatures of 39, we generally just give him calpol and calbrufen every 4 hours! This seems to work.

Unless he shows other signs of illness to go along with the temp, then we dont goto the GP. If he is coughing etc also with a high temp, we take him to the GP.

If you are not happy with the advice from your health pro, then get a second opinion. Dont be scared to say you are not happy/totally convinced with their suggestions.

We have had more than our fair shair of mis-diagnosis from the NHS! They tried to kill him once, but to be fair they have also saved his life!

Kids eh!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

(each can be given 4 times a day), assuming there’s no reason she can’t have ibuprofen. Lots to drink.

Nurofen is no more than three doses in 24 hrs. And we have had contradictory advice regarding alternate dosing – GP said every 2 hrs, paediatrician said every 3 hrs and looked shocked to hear we had been told 2hrs and strongly advised against it.

mrchrispy

for the first year or so my little girl used to get urinary tract infections that resulted in terrible fevers, invest in a braun thermoscope (in ear jobby) and (as others have said) rotate between calpol and calbrufen.

however, if she is that close to 40 i’d have her down to A+E, if the route cause isn’t treated it could cause long term complications.

best of luck fella

Clong
    Free Member

It would be worth getting the temparature checked using a proper thermometer too (im assuming that you havent, although as you have been prescibed antibiotics you may have been to the quacks), i have an in ear one and it usually reads a good 2 degrees above a calibrated device.

waynekerr
    Free Member

Ha ha, just read this from the “What amazes you?” thread.

The fact that someone will have a trained professional diagnose their sick child and then prefer to follow the advice of some well-meaning amateurs on the internet.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion

Nurofen is no more than three doses in 24 hrs.

Really? Sources?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Really? Sources?

The box it comes in.

Age of Child How Much How often in 24 hours
    3-6 months 2.5ml 3 times a day
    6-12 months 2.5ml 3 times a day
    1-3 years 5ml 3 times a day
    4-6 years 7.5ml 3 times a day
    7-9 years 10ml
    (two 5ml
    spoonfuls) 3 times a day
    10-12 years 15ml
    (three 5ml
    spoonfuls) 3 times a day

http://www.nurofenforchildren.ie/products/nurofen-for-children-bottle.php

Also, back to the OP – I hadn’t heard of Clonomox but it does appear to be an Amoxicilin type product which is ‘normally’ the least upsetting. It is normally Arythmicin (sp) which causes sickness.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I put my wife to sleep (sort of, you know), took Vicky and gave her the antibiotic this morning. The temperature went down to 37.4. Now it’s back to 38.5 and I’m going to my GP. Wife still asleep so no arguments with the doc. He’s treated me a few times and is like House – genius but insane at times. BTW I have a different GP to the one who my girls go to.

farmer-giles
    Free Member

spooky – my 8 month old had a temp of 39.5 yesterday evening; his bedroom temp was 20 degres so we took him out of his grobag,checked for rashes, put a cool damp flannel in his forehead and gave him 2.5ml ibroprofen and 2.5ml of calpol. Within 30 mins his temp was down to 37.7; and it was the same this morning, too.
    we have put this down to teething but will be watching him closely.

i now know the anxiety of a sick child 😐

Drac

MF it’s good to see you follow the box but some health care professionals can actually follow other guidelines.
    This is why it’s worth chatting to a pharmacist about mess sometimes rather than a label.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

MF it’s good to see you follow the box but some health care professionals can actually follow other guidelines.

Absolutely, but ‘standard’ advice is 3 times in 24 hours which is what I was referring to. Of course if a professional recommends something else then fair enough. Like when they tell you it is safe to give it to children for longer than the recommended course (3 days IIRC).

But of course my post also examples how different ‘professionals’ can contradict each other…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

MF – nope – standard dosage frequency for children with ibuprofen is 6 – 8 hrly – 3 – 4 times a day.

Pharmacists are the people with the knowledge

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

MF – nope – standard dosage frequency for children with ibuprofen is 6 – 8 hrly – 3 – 4 times a day.

Whatever you say TJ – why don’t you call the makers of Nurofen and tell them that their advice is wrong.
    😕

Drac

So the standard dose is not 3 times a day but 3-4 times a day. That’s a massive difference. 😯

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Well TJ says it is 3-4 times a day and I think he has gone to argue with Nurofen about that.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

SaxonRider – Member
    My daughter has a history of being really susceptible to fevers. We were told by health professionals as well as other experienced parents that overlapping Calpol with Ibuprofen was a good thing to do, as was (as cruel as it sounds) giving her a cool bath

No to the cool bath. In 20 odd years of children’s nursing this technique has never been something I’ve used, and while tepid sponging might help, dunking a febrile child in cool water may well provoke a febrile convulsion. Tepid sponging uses lukewarm water as opposed to cool water. Be careful about the room environment being too cold as well, as while superficial skin temp might lower, core temp can increase, again leading to an increased risk of febrile convulsion. A fan can assist cooling, but it should be aimed over the child, not straight at them. Any environmental methods will likely make the child more uncomfortable.
    Paracetamol 4-6 hourly at the appropriate dose, Ibuprofen 8 hourly at the appropriate dose. Give regularly even if no fever when it is due, otherwise temp climbs, child becomes symptomatic and parents worry again. Give for 24 to 48 hours even once fever has settled. Dosage wise, hospitals will often use different doses to the label dose, based upon weight of the child. Ibuprofen in the UK is given 8 hourly, I’ve given it four times per day on occasion but usually the dose give is reduced so that if you add the total of the 6 hourly doses together they’re the same as the 8 hourly doses added together – safe to say I’m not going to give any advice on doses, but seeking medical advice would be best. Ibuprofen can also cause wheeze/bronchspasm in those sensitive to it, not just people with asthma.

If doctor has suggested antibiotics, then they were obviously concerned about a bacterial infection, I’d go with the antibiotics as if they are right you’ll have a well child faster. Clonamox is amoxicillin, so will cover against quite a lot of infections; if a friends offspring was ill with it, can I suggest sheer unfortunate coincidence, as it is usually well tolerated?

Goes without saying that any rashes, decreased level of consciousness, voimting, etc, she gets seen asap via local emergency room.

Bit of nursing jargon in this link but overall it might be helpful.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ibuprofen in the UK is given 8 hourly

And what does 8 + 8 + 8 = ?

😉

I_did_dab
    Free Member

A few years ago our son had a very high temperature that didn’t respond to paracetamol and no other symptoms. We were advised by our GP to take him to the hospital. A blood test confirmed a nasty bacterial infection. He was put on antibiotics before the results came in and was much better in a day or so. He slept the night covered by just a sheet with a desk fan cooling him.
    Listen to your doctor – if you don’t trust them, change doctor…

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

And what does 8 + 8 + 8 =

24. Your point is?????

What I’m referring to is a “total daily dose” based on weight, so as an example if a child’s TDD of brufen is 1200mg then 6 hourly they can have 300mg, 8 hourly they can have 400mg. so 4×300=1200, 3×400=1200, same total daily dose, but can be split 2-4 times per day as per the info from the BNF below.

From the British National Formulary (the book most commonly used for doses of prescription and over the counter drugs in the UK):

Dose
    •adult and child over 12 years, initially 300–400 mg 3–4 times daily; increased if necessary to max. 2.4 g daily; maintenance dose of 0.6–1.2 g daily may be adequate

•Pain and fever in children, child 1–3 months, see BNF for Children; child 3–6 months (body-weight over 5 kg), 50 mg 3 times daily (max. 30 mg/kg daily in 3–4 divided doses); child 6 months–1 year, 50 mg 3–4 times daily (max. 30 mg/kg daily in 3–4 divided doses); child 1–4 years, 100 mg 3 times daily (max. 30 mg/kg daily in 3–4 divided doses); child 4–7 years, 150 mg 3 times daily (max. 30 mg/kg daily in 3–4 divided doses); child 7–10 years, 200 mg 3 times daily (up to 30 mg/kg daily (max. 2.4 g) in 3–4 divided doses); child 10–12 years, 300 mg 3 times daily (up to 30 mg/kg daily (max. 2.4 g) in 3–4 divided doses)

•Rheumatic disease in children (including juvenile idiopathic arthritis), child 3 months–18 years (body-weight over 5 kg), 30–40 mg/kg (max. 2.4 g) daily in 3–4 divided doses; in systemic juvenile idiopathic arthritis up to 60 mg/kg (max. 2.4 g) daily [unlicensed] in 4–6 divided doses

Hairychested
    Free Member

Lads, TJ knows best. Haven’t you realised yet? Helmets and medicine, he’s an educated man.
    I’ve just come back from the doctor’s and he said it’s a very aggressive form of tonsillitis. Antibiotics for 10 days 4 times a day, Calpol 4 times a day 8-10ml a time, also have Ibuprofen for kids (Nuro something) just in case.
    He said no to ice baths, avoid very cold sponge, just a bit of gentle tap with a cool wet cloth.
    BTW Regular Calpol has some 120mg of paracetamol per 5ml of it. The Calpol 6+ has a double the dose – 240mg per 5ml.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

24. Your point is?????

It wasn’t directed at you, it was directed at TJ 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Hairychested – sounds similar to what one of our girls is still fighting off. She had a 5 day course of Amoxicilin and it didn’t touch the sides so they immediately put her on a course of arythmicin (sp). That was Monday and she is JUST beginning to look better although she still has no appetite, is still is having spells of lethargy and is still getting painkillers occasionally.

Hairychested
    Free Member

She was prescribed Calvepen, a very strong antibiotic. A quick google search has planted loads of doubts in my mind but as the Doc is good and the pharmacist didn’t object, she’ll take it. With Christmas around the corner not much more, if anything, can be done.
    How do I make her eat anything? That’s the problem now. She’s fasting/dieting the way her Mum could/should but never will.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

She’ll eat when she’s ready – neither of ours have had much of an appetite for most of December.

Just make sure she isn’t dehydrated – if her lips look pursed/dry and the inside of her mouth is dry then she isn’t getting enough fluids.

When we were in hospital earlier this month Izzi had no food and only small sips of milk/water for 3 days. The nurses just watched for telltale signs of dehydration and said there was nothing to worry about.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Small kids and high temperature. Help needed.’ is closed to new replies.