Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Small helmet mounted light required
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Something light and battery operated. I need something to last the night and just bright enough to read my Garmin and possibly a map and notes.

garage-dweller

I just bought a 300 lumen Moon for £50 from the lbs it passed the garden test tonight proper first ride tomorrow once it’s had a charge. I run a maxx d on the bars but wanted a look left and right light.

If I remember I will report back when I get home tomorrow night.

garage-dweller

Box says it will do 14hrs on low.

For trail side fixing I have a single led Gelert / one AA head torch but nowhere near bright enough to use while actually riding.

bartimaeus
    Free Member

Maybe not as small as you’d want, but £7.50 from Lightmalls, and as it’s an XM-L2 powered by an 18650 it will run as your main trail light. Does about 2.5 hours on a pretty bright MED setting (which is what I use for most off road riding) and should do possibly 10x that on LOW based on the draw. You do need to fork out another £1.75 for a mount, and you do need cells (free from an old laptop) and a charger (£5).

oldgit
    Free Member

Cheers. I need it for a few Audax that’ll run through the night. So not to see the trail, just to look down and see what’s on my bars.

pipiom
    Free Member

I’ve just received my mini helmet light from mtb batteries c/w bar light…..the lid light is tiny but powerful and battery lightweight…….great service as well from Smudge

onandon
    Free Member

How about an olight s10. Very small and a nice floody beam.
    Medium is good for many hours of use.

garage-dweller

Fwiw the Moon worked fine but if it’s map reading etc it could be overkill. For that I might just use a normal head torch.

sparkyrhino

alpkit gamma,sounds ideal,

lunge

Lezyne MiniDrive or MicroDrive?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I used an alpkit gamma when I did the lel audax last year. Straps threaded through the helmet no probs, its nice and bright and you’ve got the added advantage of an extra red light on the battery case on the back of your head.
    I’ll dig out a photo later.

gazc
    Free Member

alpkit gamma or manta. can then be run low power and back up as a high power light. found the manta bright enough to ride off road in the dark on its own when i forgot my main light 😳 (albeit easy trails)

townydc
    Free Member

C&B SEEN in Kent do a good selection at very good prices.

http://www.candb-seen.co.uk/

oldgit
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. This site is so bloody useful. I’ve since found out that I might be able to repair my old MK1 Joystick, or get it repaired through a company called MTB Batteries.
    Just found the charger, bar and helmet mount so fingers crossed.

Edit; Just found my old Petzl Zoom from a million years ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Small helmet mounted light required’ is closed to new replies.