Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Small chip on my RP23. Can this be fixed?
  • Everlong
    Free Member

Hi all

I recently bought a new Fox Float RP23 for my bike. Unfortunately, when showing it to a friend (not even attached to the bike) they dropped it to the ground and have put a small chip in the piston arm (Sorry, I don't know the correct names for the different parts). The mark is very small and is between 10 and 15 mm from the end of the piston arm (not the seal end)

The chip has left the grey paint slightly raised so I was planning on taking this down to its normal level again so it doesn't damage the seal but I don't want to do anything without running it past a few ears first. Even if I remove the raised damage there will still be a very small dent in the piston arm..will this be enough to carry crap into the internal gubbins?

I know I am making this sound really extreme but the damage is very very small. I'm hoping that shaving down the raised bit should suffice and perhaps even running a shock sleve to keep crud out might help also.

I'm afraid that by buying the shock I am kinda out of the market of getting it serviced just now. I'll be saving to get it serviced and the part replaced in around a year or so but is there anything I can do in the meantime to make it work?

Thanks in advance for your advice

Paul 😀

martinxyz
    Free Member

Its about £30 RRP on top of the service to get the body replaced.with the finest of files you could slowly take it down flush and then finish it off by sanding/polishing in the direction that its moving.It will probably not look too great but its going to do the job and you will be wanting to service it within a year anyways.get the £30 out of yer mate now before its all forgotten about 🙂

easygirl

if its 15mm from the eylet end, i wouldent worry, the seal is unlikeley to reach that far very often, just smooth it off with a fine emery board, be very cearful not to damege the anodising any further

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Everlong
    Free Member

Brilliant thanks for your comments. I am certainly planning on getting it serviced after the coming years use so its just a short term fix.

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it.

Paul 😀

mwleeds

Some 1500 wet&dry sand paper from halfords will smooth the scratch without damaging the anodising. I've repaired quite deep scratchs in fork stanchions by filling with araldite and sanding down excess.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Small chip on my RP23. Can this be fixed?’ is closed to new replies.