Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • small car for the missus under £1500 ..recommendations please
  • kaiser
    Free Member

Need to buy a 1st car for the missus…..not bothered about style/age etc just want something small , reliable and preferably cheap to insure/ +fix if things go wrong…anyone in the know offer advice ?
    thanks
    Bill

chakaping
    Free Member

I'd go for a Fiesta, or maybe an old shape Micra.

OrangeChammy
    Free Member

Wild card… a suzuki wagon r or vauxhall agila (same thing) – wagon r with a 1.3 is best. My father in law bought a agila 1.0 '04 plate with 30k miles for just over £2000! only £35 a year to tax too! on our search we found an '02 wagon r with 22k miles for £1600 and an '04 agila with 18k miles for £2,100 – both were mint, but sold by time we called though. These are very practical cars (rear seat goes totally flat) and have good economy, very noise and revvy at high speeds (not really the point on a tiny car). More fun to drive than you think. Plenty of room inside and basic so nothing to break.

Reason for cheapness, ugly, postman pat looks and no image for cool drivers or boy racers… so no chance of a thrashed one (unlike an overpriced clio or corsa)

racing_ralph
    Free Member

ford ka

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Second the Micra. Reliable, cheap and almost disposable there are that many of them.

thomthumb
    Free Member

dont buy french -electrics are shit

hora
    Free Member

Third the Micra. Avoid the Ka. Lots of problems and rusts.

Circa 1999/2000 Toyota Corolla 3door as well. Yaris will be too much though for your budget (or you'd onl get a leggy/tired one).

Wagon R- I love them! Its my secret gay-love car 😀

reggiegasket
    Free Member

not a polo, or corsa

Focus too big?

tomzo
    Free Member

Fiat Punto. 2002 or later.

djglover
    Free Member

Something safe maybe?

dooge
    Free Member

MK3/4 polo, cheap, reliable, easily maintained. Focus's are good calls, always reliable and a good drive. MK3 Renault Clio's are better than similar year Peugots as regards to electrics and only have a few common cheap faults as regards to problems. Ka's arent that bad, but do suffer from rust severly around the bottom of the doors/door sills and boots. Micra's are poor for driving fun, virtually the worst car Ive ever driven as regards to feeling and only just outdone by my ex's Daewoo Matiz but that probably wouldnt matter so much to her.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

H.O.N.D.A C.I.V.C.

..they're totally bitchin' (thou' you'll be pushed to find one that ain't been lowered, spoilered, canned and thrashed). But: ultra-reliable, sweet to drive, smooth as a purring kitten engine and very good on fuel economy.

sax_widby
    Free Member

my Ford Fiesta LX Zetec is for sale. 1.25L, 2000 reg, good runner, economical and 10 months MOT. I'm only looking for £550 – £600.

see http://sheffield.gumtree.com/sheffield/47/43084847.html for more info and pics

cheers,
    rich

stumpy01

Ford Fiesta
    Ford Ka
    Nissan Micra
    Good sugestion of Vauxhall Agila/Suzuki Wagon R

Not sure where all the bad news about Ford Ka's come from….? Her indoors has had hers for 7yrs from new & the only thing that's been replaced apart from brake pads etc. is the radiator thermostat gasket.
    I think they are prone to rust if not looked after, although again, hers indoors has no problems on her Ka with rust.

Out of those I think the Fords would be cheapest to service/repair & the Ka is only IG 2 or 3 I think. Not sure about the others. A friend of mine had the old shape Micra & parts were really expensive for it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘small car for the missus under £1500 ..recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.