Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Small but powerful binoculars
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

I’d like a small/lightweight pair of bino’s mainly for carrying on longer rides/spotting wildlife on SDW.
    Trouble is, I remember being underwhelmed back in the day by compact offerings – have things moved on in recent years?
    What brands/models/lenses should I look for? and will I need to remortgage?

benp1

What’s your budget?

Powerful and small usually means something ilke 10×25, I find that too powerful and therefore too shaky. I prefer something like 8×20 in the small bins category. I have a pair of Leica Trinovids which are excellent, but they are probably over budget

slimjim78
    Free Member

I haven’t really set a budget as i’m scared to check pricing.
    I’ll google your pair whilst im sitting comfortably..

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I recently bought a a pair of Hawke 8×32 which are brilliant value for money. 8x isn’t the most powerful magnification but the x32 means the images are really bright. They also feel well made and likely to handle the kind of cack-handed abuse I put stuff through. They replaced a lost Pentax 8×21 which were less bright and didn’t feel as solid (but were lost not broken and handled a couple of years of me) and were more expensive. Happier with the Hawkes than the Pentax

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Opticron Oasis, 10×28’s. £200. Very light jersey pocket jobs & as good as my other 10×25 Leicas @ £325. (But not as good as my old Optolyth Alpin 10×50’s)
    Closer focus on the Opticrons & not a lot of difference in optical quality.

Edit, & no, I don’t find them ‘shaky’.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Small but powerful binoculars’ is closed to new replies.