Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • SLX Vs XT brakes – pros/cons etc please
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

Fancy trying some of the new shimano brakes and it is a toss up between SLX and XT.

What are the differences? Are their features of the XT i would miss if i bought SLX for example?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

xt are great brakes! that is all you need to know really, the free stroke is the only adjuster on a set of brakes ive owned that has ever ever worked! it really does make a difference! dont think the slx ones have that, and i have no idea about the power of slx, all i can say is the xt’s are pretty much flawless!

snakebite
    Free Member

Wait til you try new XTR…… 😈

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

yeah thats just it, if my current xts are good thats exactly why i must get some xtr’s, if they are any better they have surely got to be the best brakes on the planet 😆

the new xtr’s look the dogs, though i cant comment on performance (should imagine they are spot on though), i can say xt’s are a very very very good brake!

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I’ve got XTs and SLX and the XTs are a better brake- they’re a touch more powerful but have a much firmer lever feel and are easier to adjust with the freestroke screw. I love them.

iainc

i recently upgraded from xt’s that were 2-3 yrs old to the new ones. Much more power, nice feel, servo wave takes a bit to get used to. had to move levers inbooard of shifters to get the position right as the levers pull back further than the old ones. a bit of a guddle to bleed. Once set up they are spot on for single finger braking and very very nice.

snakebite
    Free Member

I have XT’s on one bike, older XTRs on another and SLX on another. The XTR’s have been faultless and feel similar to the XT’s. The SLX’s have been OK, but i had a thin rotor on which didnt help lever feel . The new XTR’s that went on yesterday are considerably better in feel and performance over one ride…..but they are fookin dear!

FOG

I had XT on the last bike and have SLX on the current one and to be honest I can’t detect much difference in power. The only significant difference is that the SLX pads are held in by a very low tech split pin while the XT have a threaded, allen headed pin. The split pin is a faff but I have heard of threaded pins seizing in the caliper.

bobster
    Free Member

Snakebite – any more info on the new XTRs?

Looking to build something up at the mo, and was going with SLX as loved them on a demo bike, but seriously tempted to go with the new XTR.

snakebite
    Free Member

One set of brakes left, not many places have them yet, at least for another three weeks…drop me a pm if you want the last set .

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Have XT and SLX. The SLX feel marginally firmer and more powerful, but it may just be that they’re bled better.

The free stroke adjuster on the XT isn’t worth paying any extra for cos to me it barely seems to do anything!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘SLX Vs XT brakes – pros/cons etc please’ is closed to new replies.