Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • SLX rear mech – no cable adjuster ?
  • simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Just fitted one of these yesterday – and going to adjust the cable – uh, no adjuster 🙁 So it all has to be done from the shifter end ??

[Before you ask, this was a flood damaged unit from CRC with no leaflet]

snakebite
    Free Member

all shadows are the same now….

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

OK. Sadly the front adjuster is a bit stiff to operate (and broken due to frequent crash damage)

devs
    Free Member

Nae luck then. They did flood sale shifters too, I got a couple! 😛

dave_aber
    Free Member

Excellent gloat. 9/10.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Set it up properly and no need for the adjustor

paulosoxo
    Free Member

In-line cable adjusters are just a couple of quid. I got my last ones from Saint John St Cycles

kaiser
    Free Member

despite what others say i hate my slx shadow rear mech and will soon retrograde back. btw I’m a compulsive fettler and never had to use a bikeshop except for facing frames .in the past my bikes all run 100% in every aspect but for some reason my new slx groupset has been a nightmare (maybe i got a dud?)

devs
    Free Member

I’ve fitted 2 now after breaking one. They really couldn’t be simpler. 2 clicks of the barrel adjuster was all the 2nd one took to set up. I do make sure the hanger is straight though before I start.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

easy to say, but it’s difficult to get the right tension when doing up the cable clamp – whch is what I’ve always used the adjuster to correct.

In-line cable adjusters are just a couple of quid

oh ? Cheers 🙂

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

No different to the old style XTR mech i run. They never had barrel adjusters either. Gotta agree with racing ralph. If you set them up correctly you dont need ‘much’ adjustment other than the shifter one

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

If you set them up correctly you dont need ‘much’ adjustment other than the shifter one

well, to my mind, the adjuster is part of setting them up, rather than trying to get the cable exactly placed when tightening the clamp, and it’s much more convenient having an adjuster right there rather than so far away you can’t eyeball the exact alignment as you adjust. It’s not a matter of the amount of adjustment as its convenience.

Mister-P
    Free Member

If set correctly then the adjuster should only need tweaking half a turn or so. It is overkill to have them at both ends of the cable. Mine always used to seize on my mechs from lack of love anyway.

The only time it has been an issue is when running an MTB rear mech with road STIs if there are no downtube adjusters then the in-line adjusters are necessary.

djglover
    Free Member

despite what others say i hate my slx shadow rear mech and will soon retrograde back. btw I’m a compulsive fettler and never had to use a bikeshop except for facing frames .in the past my bikes all run 100% in every aspect but for some reason my new slx groupset has been a nightmare (maybe i got a dud?)

You are a fettling god.

Big-Bud
    Free Member

8 months in.

x1 xt rear goosed without any self inflickting damage.it just broke from its brazed peg on the top part which is a couple of inches of cheap metal.you can see the actual casting is cheap & nasty.

slx one fitted & agree with sfb i prefer some adjustment at the mech aswell.in fact i want shimano to come & set the bloody thing up as the price was mind blowing.

also need to set the rise5-6mm away from the cassette to smooth the shifting .utter crap

PJM1974
    Free Member

It took me age age to get the missus's SLX rear mech properly adjusted. Glad I stuck with SRAM.

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

FFS! this is basic stuff guys. If you can't get gears to work, forget the complicated stuff!

martinxyz
    Free Member

aye simon. it does help with setting it up!. maybe ralph uses some kinda spacers to pull the inner cable away from the frame at certain points to obtain correct tension ;O)

andytherocketeer

correct. took me all of 10 minutes with bike on the stand, and maybe needed 2-3 quarter turns tops at the shifter. worst case 1 more click after 200km just to fine tune it. still spot on after 1000km.

showerman
    Free Member

looks like racing_ralph is back from his ban building up pionts for his next one???

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘SLX rear mech – no cable adjuster ?’ is closed to new replies.