• This topic has 36 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by poah.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • SLX or XT chainset for new build, thoughts?Real worl difference
  • vondally
    Free Member

Hello see my thread of Ritchey p29er to be built, was going to get some XT tomorrow but now all out of stock so should I get SLX, save £30?

any real world difference?
    Weight difference?
    Build quality?

jonk

The finish on the crank arm is better on the XT and you get a better BB with the XT but not much else TBH.

raisinhat
    Free Member

Almost no difference in weight, comes down entirely if you think the extra money is worth it for the bottom bracket and your crank to say XT.

Sundayjumper

But it’ll forever bug you that you didn’t get the XT 🙂

ahwiles
    Free Member

xt offers (slightly) more length options…?

acidchunks
    mcnultycop

I thought it was the same BB

tomd
    Free Member

I was corrected by someone on here before, the BBs have the same part # if you check the tech docs. I have both, would choose SlX for the more durable chain rings if bling / weight isnt a factor.

slackboy

just get XT, it will save money in the long term. I bought an SLX but still look at XT’s on a weekly basis.

Don’t need it, just want it.

dirtydog
    Free Member

SLX cranks have steel pedal inserts so in theory should be a touch tougher, pretty sure SLX come with a steel granny ring whilst XT comes fitted with an alloy granny…think that’s about it.

matther01
    Free Member

XT for the bling factor…but SLX finish is more durable IME.

Next to no difference in weight, but re-sale will be better on the XT.

spendtoomuch
    Free Member

If you go for XT either go for the silver ones or get the vinyl stickers to cover the arms. They will look tatty within hours otherwise

Northwind

Basically identical in performance tbh and if they’re the same as the old ones, half the weight difference is in the rings. (and the same with XTR too)

kimbers

Between the crank arms and BBS no difference what so ever I think maybe <5g weight difference
    The slx arms don’t scuff up so easy

So they are the better choice imho

warpcow
    Free Member

dirtydog – Member
    SLX cranks have steel pedal inserts so in theory should be a touch tougher

Not any more. That was just one variant anyway, the standard version has always been all-alu.

Personally I like the look of SLX better, and, as someone said, the weight difference is virtually nothing on the bare arms.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve got both, and prefer the SLX.

I think you’d have to be an enormous fanny to buy that and then fret because you didn’t get XT.

🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

I havne’t seen the other thread, but purely for cohesion reasons I would get the chainset that best matches the rest of the spec, rather than having a mixture of different tier components if it can be avoided.

amedias
    Free Member

but purely for cohesion reasons I would get the chainset that best matches the rest of the spec, rather than having a mixture of different tier components if it can be avoided.

is this a problem?

I would advise the exact opposite, spend the money where it counts and makes a tangible difference, save the cash where not needed.

XT and SLX cranks arms are almost identical, certainly no real difference in weight. Rings are a consumable anyway and even Deore shifts brilliantly.

Buy the most appropriate components for the usage and budget, often that means mixing groups, just make sure you stay with components that are compatible with each other.

john_l
    Free Member

If you’re building a P-29, then Middleburn 🙂

Northwind

amedias – Member

even Deore shifts brilliantly.

TBH I think for most people, over its lifespan steel deore shifts best- it’s not quite as good on day one, but it doesnt’t really deteriorate. Folks with more expensive rings will want to get every last mile out of them and by the time they go in the bin they’re way past it.

rumple
    Free Member

SLX because they are beautiful?

theflatboy
    Free Member

amedias – Member
    but purely for cohesion reasons I would get the chainset that best matches the rest of the spec, rather than having a mixture of different tier components if it can be avoided.
    is this a problem?

In respect of my personal OCD, yes. Otherwise, probably not.

firestarter
    Free Member

Id just get deore and save a packet. Works well lasts well and looks well. That’s what i did in fact 😉

mildred

I’ve got both, and prefer the SLX.
    I think you’d have to be an enormous fanny to buy that and then fret because you didn’t get XT.

+1

Northwind

Or, buy scabby old XTR. There’s something nice about old high end kit, used til it cries metal tears.

vondally
    Free Member

Got slx….no xt in stock ..xtr shiny but not thatmega light I went whoa I will have that

gfrew88
    Free Member

i would go with XT brakes definetely i had SLX brakes and they fade and lose almost all their stopping power on long descents/fast descents. But it depends what you ride i suppose. SLX chain set is spot on.

gfrew88
    Free Member

CRC are doing a good deal on XT brakes at the moment.

vincienup
    Free Member

I like the SLX doubles. Personally I think they look better in the first place, but that’s just taste.

As above, the finish is more durable, weight difference negligible and rings tougher. Put the difference into something you’ll notice gets my vote.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Just get the xt, you know you want to.

benpinnick

I would personally get when buying as separates

SLX Front mech
    XT Cassette
    SLX Cranks
    SLX rear mech
    XT Shifters

So SLX cranks for me.

Which way I would go if buying a group? Probably XT.

tmb467
    Free Member

Personal preference but if buying 10sp clutch I’d go (by which I mean I went) for the XT rear mech as I believe the slx clutch is more prone to breakage / different design to the XT

Could be wrong but at a tenner difference it’s not show stopping

And in true STW way, Saint shifter

thegreatape
    Free Member

I had the choice for my last bike and went for XT for purely nostalgic reasons – when I was a boy XT was the holy grail 🙂

P20

XT purely on aesthetics.

mtbsam
    Free Member

I have a used everything slx and xt and I’ve got a mixture of both on mine with the exception of a xtr shifter. Other than the shifter I found no difference. Like some guys have said slx tends to be more forgiving on apparance after several
    Brutal rides.

chakaping
    Free Member

SLX double with 175mm arms and 38/26 is £62-odd at Ribble right now.

I need 38/24 unfortunately.

🙁

poah
    Free Member

I got XT because I wanted black and a 165mm crank.

brakes I’ve got and SLX rear/Zee front, no advantage over XT other than a bit of weight.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘SLX or XT chainset for new build, thoughts?Real worl difference’ is closed to new replies.