Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • SLX crank conversions
  • drkpeak
    Free Member

Any tips – I’d like to convert my 10spd SLX triple crank to a single and just run 10 gears out back – I find i’m just not using the rest of the range and would probably ditch a bit of weight in the process – good idea or just plain stooopid!

tmb467
    Free Member

great idea

once you’ve done it, come round mine and do it for me too!

svalgis
    Free Member

good idea

Correct. Do it.

Northwind

Potentially good idea. I like it on the bike I’ve done it on, I wouldn’t do it to the big do-anything bike as there’s rides where I still want the granny, mostly races mind. Easy to convert the crank, though you might need shorter chainring bolts. Chain retention not so simple, just because there’s a lot of choice.

drkpeak
    Free Member

Cheers Northwind, so shorter chainring bolts and a chain guide should do the trick. May have a look at swapping the middle ring out too at some point, change the ratios a little. I do alot of trail riding, nothing too serious but can get technical, if it does’nt work out can always change back. cheers

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I’ve done exactly this on my 9 speed hardtail. I got an E13 non shifting ring and top only chain guide and she’s a gooden. Chain doesn’t jump etc.
    You will need shorter chain ring bolts unless you place a bash ring where the big ring was.

drkpeak
    Free Member

Cheers Jef, sounds perfect, think i’ll strip down the bike tonight and order a few parts, hopefully by the weekend will have a sweeter and lighter drivetrain. Any suggestions on the chainguide, was thinking a simple top hanging one would be sweet enough.

Northwind

I use a Blackspire 1X, it’s ace- light, and very easy to set up. But that’s on a hardtail so the chain tension doesn’t change much, can’t speak for how well it’d work on a full suss.

I’ve never had good results from top-guide only with a standard mech, but with the new clutch mechs it works very well… Obviously an extra expense but if you find you’re having trouble it’s worth looking at.

drkpeak
    Free Member

I’ll have a look into that, i’m running an orange p7 ht so should’nt be too tricky to set-up but we’ll see!

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I used the MRP 1x with E type (BB mount).

http://www.mountainracingproducts.com/mrp/1x/

It seemed a shame to clamp anything on the seat tube as I was going 1x on the front.

drkpeak
    Free Member

Sold, that looks perfect… i’m off shopping!

Northwind

Oh yeah, I’m talking pish, it’s an MRP I use not a Blackspire. Doh!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘SLX crank conversions’ is closed to new replies.