Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • SLX brake problem
  • jonb
    Free Member

My Slx brakes are playing up.

About 10months old so they shouldn’t be. They have been fine until now but I have had some problems with pad contamination that I couldn’t figure out. Tonight however they seemed to lose all power, I can pull the levers right back to the bars and it does nothing. When I had a quick look I can see bubbles around the piston when I pull the lever.

Seems unlikely that they would just “go” and need bleeding. As they aren’t that old should I be taking them back or will a bleed sort them?

belugabob
    Free Member

Bubbles near the piston would suggest a leak, rather that the need for a bleed.

Have you checked that the hoses are securely attached (nut under the ruuber boot, where the hose enters the lever) and that the resevoir cap is attached securely. (I managed to put one of mine on the wrong way round, but it still works – will be correcting this on Saturday)

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Bubbles around the piston possibly / probably means the seals have gone. It’s happened me – twice now.

Have you been using them in the cold?

If they are under warranty then I’d push to get them replaced. Otherwise you can get a replacement caliper for £25ish from crc. Apparently any Deore+ caliper will work too. Changing / bleeding is dead easy. You will loose about 1/2 inch of cable tho.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘SLX brake problem’ is closed to new replies.