Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • SLX brake pad replacement
  • Seggons
    Free Member

Alright?
    I’ve got some SLX M665 brakes which need new pads, was wondered what you all recommend.

Also was looking at some goodridge hoses, but aagain don’t really know what parts to order. Also is fitting easy to do?

Cheers y’all

jamj1974

I’ve always replaced like with like. The Shimano pads have performed and worn well for me.

MartynS

I use über components pads. 4 pairs for around £20 (sintered pads)

If your looking at changing hoses the brakes will need bleeding. Epic bleed solutions do a good kit

There’s loads of good tutorials on YouTube. I think it’s something worth learning to do.

nickjb
    Free Member

Superstar kevlar pads for me. Cheap and good all rounders. What’s the point of the hose swap?

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Ive used Ubers and happy with them, but just bought some Kevlar pads off ebay by Noah and Theo and they are pretty good and about £15 for 4 sets. Shouldn’t really say this, as they will put their prices up soon. 3 day delivery comes with a new split pin.

whyter

Shimano originals last well, but are dear. Personally prefer Superstar over uberbike pads. 25% off superstar pads at the moment with BK25EMAIL code.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

SS kevlar

P-Jay
    Free Member

Superstar are doing replicable cooling fins for thier pads now too if you want to keep that up.

crasher50

Ss Kevlar front, sintered rear works for me.

zerogreg
    Free Member

I had some überbike pads in my hopes and always thought that the brakes didn’t feel great. Swapped them for shimano pads (e4s use xt pads) and the difference was massive, won’t be buying überbike pads again!

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Zerogreg, which ones were they from Uber ? Not race matrix white ones ?

zerogreg
    Free Member

Thrustyjust they were the semi metallic pads. Before I swapped them out for the shimano pads it felt like the brakes needed bleeding and had no power – couldn’t even pull a stoppie pulling the lever back to the bars, put new pads in and nearly went over the bar tapping the brakes!

Seggons
    Free Member

Superstar it is. Are the Kevlar ones worth it over sintered, with winter coming up?

Bucko

I went through a brand new set of SS Kevlar in one wet day at BPW, literally down to the metal on the front. They are great in the dry though. I’ve just ordered a couple sets of SS sintered to get me through the winter, I hope they’re up to the job

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

That’s weird Zerogreg. Just done a weekend in Wales, including a Snowdon descent and a ‘very wet’ , although sure it never dries out, day at Penmachno last week and the Uber semis in my Zee’s are still as new, even with the discs going bronzed down Snowdon and tinging away at the bottom. Was using Clarks floating rotors and all seems great, with plenty of power and modulation.

nickjb
    Free Member

The kevlar do wear quickly if you don’t bed them in properly. Properly bedded they give a good life in all weathers. Might be tempted to go sintered for winter but usually just stick to kevlar to save swapping.

gelert
    Free Member

I’ve tried many of the non Shimano pads, mostly because I thought I was saving money but none have lasted or worked as well as the genuine Shimano pads.

I get 1000+ miles out of a set of Shimano metal finned pads on the front and I’ve had 500-800 miles on the rear too if not more with the latest set.

Save your money and buy the proper Shimano ones. IME they last an awful lot longer than any of the other compatible brands.

FOG

I always use Disco brakes who are cheap and very quick to deliver

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’ve run quite a few combinations over the last few years in Shimano XTs. A quick summary of my experiences:

Shimano original organic are probably the best of the lot for performance.
    Uberbikes race matrix have been pretty good so far. Quieter than sintered,a bit more stopping power and lasting better than organics.
    Ashima semi metalic have also proven to be a good compromise between longevity and power.
    Superstar sintered have lasted best of all in Winter slop and grinding paste but will probably eat your rotors quicker as a consequence. They can be noisy too and less absolute power.
    Superstar kevlar worked OK in dry conditions in Garda, (so certainly well bedded in) but the remaining 50% was completely eaten within 10 miles in Northern UK slop/grinding paste.

andyg1966

Shimano SLX brake pads are £6.99 from Halfords. I don’t call that expensive.

Halfords

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

or £4.28 at Rosebikes if you’ve got a big enough order to absorb the postage costs.

chakaping
    Free Member

Superstar organic – no need to spend more in my experience.

25% off at the mo too.

Shimano stock ones are a tad better though.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I found the standard Shimano pads to be too metallic in the summer and squeal a lot, hence the change to others . Also found them to not be as good. Probably be fine for the rest of the year though.

MrGreedy

Another vote for Discobrakes

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘SLX brake pad replacement’ is closed to new replies.