Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • SLX 10-speed rear mech adjustment issue
  • monsta
    Free Member

Hi,

I’m putting together a new 1×10 build with all new kit (SLX/XT/c456 frame) but having trouble shifting across the full range of the 10-speed cassette using the 10 speed SLX shifter. I’ve adjusted the upper and lower screws to their full range and all the adjustments in between. It shifts up to the 34 nicely, but I can’t get it to drop into the tenth sprocket (11 tooth). Cable tension is fine – not too tight, not too loose. I’ve tried the adjustment barrel and still no luck. Any ideas?

coatesy
    Free Member

10 speed mechs usually need a bit more slack in the cable than 9 speed stuff to start with, may also be worth checking your B tension setting’s not sitting the jockey wheel too close to the cassette.

Mister-P
    Free Member

With Shadow mechs it is usually B tension that needs to be checked.

monsta
    Free Member

Yeah, I did a little more tweaking and I couldn’t tell you what it was that worked, but there was some more barrel adjustment and the B tension was prodded a bit. Then I went out for a quick spin and the new 10 speed XT chain snapped which was a laugh.

Actually it wasn’t, cos the chain snapped at about the time I was trying to style it off a kerb in front of some people pottering about in their garden. So cue me nose-diving into stem with much swearing as I watched the chain wrap round the new frame and flick off into the road. Henceforth, and with a bit of a casual shrug of the shoulders so as to give the impression to the local folk that it was all part of cycling, I recovered the chain and pushed the steed back to the workshop for more fixing. And then back out for a 45 minute blast around the meadows. Which was nice.

spanishfly
    Free Member

Hi planning a similar set up on my hand job, out of curiousity what chain ring did you fit? Type & size?
    Cheers

nomakoman
    Free Member

I have similar issues on my summer season with an xtr970 mech, its down to the full length outer cable in my case, friction kicks in somewhere down the line!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘SLX 10-speed rear mech adjustment issue’ is closed to new replies.