Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 194 total)
  • Slutwalking?
  • ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Apparently a movement on the rise according to the Guardian

I totally agree with the perspective that victims of rape shouldn’t be seen as responsible for their attack, and that the perpetrator is 100% to blame.

However, I don’t see a contradiction between that and suggesting that strategies that might help to avoid becoming a victim? If my wife leaves her handbag in plain view in the car, and someone comes along, breaks into the car and steals it, the thief is the criminal and she is the victim, but that’s not going to alter the fact that she’s been seriously inconvenienced, and allowed herself to be an easy target.

The article also has an interesting use of statistics “A 2009 Home Office report into violence against women in the UK found that 36% of people believed a woman should be held wholly or partly responsible for being sexually assaulted or raped if she was drunk, and 26% if she was in public wearing sexy or revealing clothes.” It could also be presented as around 3 out of 4 people don’t believe that a woman is responsible if she’s dressed in revealing clothes i.e. the vast majority of the public agree that the perpetrator is to blame, not the victim.

Anyway, flame on…!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

So, you think women who dress in a ‘slutty’ manner are ‘asking for it’?

Are you the reincarnation of Justice James Pickles?

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

That’s a rather predictable opener Fred – it might help if you read what I said, rather than reflexively spouting dogma.

Cougar

Can kinda see both sides to this.

You sum it up well in the OP; you wouldn’t leave a car unattended with a handbag on full view. Sure, you have a ‘right’ to leave your belongings lying around, however you can also apply a little more common sense to minimise the risk of attracting criminals.

These, ah, ladies have a right to wear what they want of course (and if I were religious I’d thank the lord on a daily basis that they do), but common sense would perhaps suggest that hanging around rough areas on their own late at night whilst wearing nobbut a bikini probably isn’t smart.

Junkyard
    Free Member

a female friend of mine who was well endowned by nature once went out in a see through top with no bra. She complained at one guy for looking at her tits I asked her what she thought the effect of her top would be..this made me both a sexist and a perv as she could dress how she liked.
    That said I have no knowledge about whether dressing like a slut will make you more likely to be raped or not either way there are no mitigating factors. It is an evil and despicable crime and the rape prosecution rate are horrendous and this needs addressing far more than how women dress or act.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

So, Ditch; you think women shouldn’t dress in what you might consider a ‘provocative’ manner?

You’ve posted something deliberately provocative. I’ve reacted. Thing is, I’ve chosen to react. I have control over that action.

Same way that rapists have control over their dicks.

Some women at my local pool wear very skimpy bikinis. Should those women expect to be attacked?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I see your point and can see why some people would think a woman dressed provocatively was asking for it. But, we supposedly live in a civilised society, so cant agree with the point of view where people are blaming the victim. Just as I would not agree that a person leaving their purse or wallet in full view in their car was asking for it to be stolen.

The bigger issue here is why do people feel the need to carry out either crime?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Some women at my local pool leave their handbags in clear view in their cars in the car park. Should those women expect to be that their cars are broken into?

Do you leave your front door open when you go to work? Do you have that right?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

The bigger issue here is why do people feel the need to carry out either crime?

Now we’re getting somewhere…

Do you leave your front door open when you go to work? Do you have that right?

I have that right, but I choose not to excercise it as I know the probable consequences of my actions will not be to my benefit.

But comparing theft/burglary to rape? Are you serious??

iDave
    Free Member

3 out of 4 people don’t believe that a woman is responsible if she’s dressed in revealing clothes

3 out of 4 people are retards then

EDIT – I Don’t mean this, I mean the opposite!! My mistake.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Christ almighty I can’t believe I just read what you posted there, iDave.

Are you serious too?? 😯

So, you believe a woman is responsible for her own rape if she’s wearing ‘revealing’ clothing???

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I have that right, but I choose not to excercise it as I know the probable consequences of my actions will not be to my benefit.

But comparing theft/burglary to rape? Are you serious??

Well why don’t you make the difference clear to me.

cinnamon_girl

Personal responsibility. I know it’s gone out of fashion. 🙄

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Elfin – dont get sucked in mate. I can see you ending up cracking and calling folk nonces and getting banned. It’s good to have you here as you keep the place sane.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Bollocks. Can’t be arsed discussing this with morons.

A new low for STW.

binners

Well… looks like there’s only one solution then. If we blokes can’t be expected to keep our urges at bay.

Who’d have thought that in the week of his death he’d be proved right. Oh the irony

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I am completely in agreement with the principles behind the Slutwalk.

But then again, if I come out of the Watershed on a Friday or Saturday night (Brizzleonians will know where I mean) after a movie at 1130 or so, why do I cringe at girls who look no more than twenty or so, wearing greyhound skirts, falling around (literally) pissed, rolling on the floor and not able to look after each other and hope they’ll be ok. In the alcohol fuelled atmosphere of a town centre on a weekend, one does worry for their safety.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Elfin won’t call people names, he knows that that gives them the excuse to flounce off without addressing the points he’s raised

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Bollocks. Can’t be arsed discussing this with morons.

It wouldn’t be such an effort if you had a coherent argument. But thanks for your unsupported assertions anyway

Dickyboy

A nun and a slut in a bar, if I was up for some action I might think that the slut was a more likely target for my attentions but I am no more likely to rape either of them.

iDave
    Free Member

Elfin, I’m saying the opposite, as I had read responsible as irresponsible.

My mistake

I think a woman should be able to walk around naked if she wants and not be harassed.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You’ve posted something deliberately provocative. I’ve reacted. Thing is, I’ve chosen to react. I have control over that action.

Same way that rapists have control over their dicks

Perfect 😀

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I think a woman should be able to walk around naked if she wants and not be harassed.

Agreed, and i think i should be able to leave my bike outside a shop unlocked and not have it stolen. However, I’m also a realist and a Bayesian

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

iDave; no worries.

Mungus; have a think about it. Put yourself in the position of the victim. Now, imagine you’ve been burgled.

Then, imagine you’ve been raped.

Still think there’s no distinction?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Did you misread my request?

Where is the distinction? Where are you drawing the line?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Nope.

One is a crime against a person’s property.

The other is a violation of a person’s body, mind and soul.

Material possessions can be replaced. A rape victim cannot be ‘un-raped’.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

The burglary and rape thing are probably a lot closer than people think, especially if the person was at home when they were burgled. Both are personal violation and having been burgled in the past it’s not a particularly pleasant experience.

Dickyboy

Can’t really compare an impersonal crime like nicking an unattended bicycle with a very personal crime like rape

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

What about an attended bicycle?

Junkyard
    Free Member

i think people feel like you do about the door and accept that whilst the perpetrator of the crime is utterly responsible some actions you do [ lock or leave open the door] may encourage [ increase the likelyhood of it happening] the crime and therefore you are partly responsible.
    Is this also the case with rape tbh I dont know any statistics that prove it one way or another but [some]people think it is a factor.
    I am not saying this is my view i am simply articulating the view. Personally rape is rape , no means no, nothing mitigates it ever IMHO.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Material possessions can be replaced.

That would be relevant if that was all burglars took.

allyharp

I think what many rapists seek more than anything else is an easy target. I think a women can certainly increase their vulnerability through things that they do, but I think alcohol is a more major contributor than dress sense.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Elfin, is there a distinction between sexual assault and rape?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

What about an attended bicycle?

Well I’m guessing that whilst probably very upsetting and distressing, it’s probably not quite as life changing as rape.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

A question that I like to raise in threads like this is: How does a rape compare to a false rape allegation in terms of seriousness for the victim?

Ernie_lynch – that depends entirely on the circumstances surrounding the theft surely. Could have been a knife to the throat or anything…

Junkyard
    Free Member

NO SBZ please not now on this thread false rape [bad crime] is a far less occurence than a rapist being acquitted but it gets far more publicity…ever thought about why?

Could have been a knife to the throat or anything…

Sexual organ inserted in orafice against your will or a knife placed to your throat which would you choose?
    Please dont troll on this thread it will run without you talents.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

A question that I like to raise in threads like this is: How does a rape compare to a false rape allegation in terms of seriousness for the victim?

Why ?

It’s in no way relevant. Rape is a very nasty crime. Coming up with a list of other nasty crimes such as murder, blackmail, etc, doesn’t in anyway help. Why would it ?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

NO SBZ please not now on this thread

+1

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

And those of you focusing on the material / invasive distinctions of bicycles versus rape are missing the issue of likelihood.

thieves are more likely to steal unsecured bicycles or burgle unsecured hand unalarmed houses. Rapists are more likely to rpe women who wear sexy clothes than they are women who wear frumpy clothes. It’s not nice, and each is a violation. however, every individual has a choice to behave in ways which make them less likely to be a victim. This is often at a premium of their own independence and liberty. Nevertheless, that is the reality.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Rapists are more likely to rpe women who wear sexy clothes than they are women who wear frumpy clothes.

Really?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 194 total)

The topic ‘Slutwalking?’ is closed to new replies.