Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Slow worms.
  • zippykona

A summer was never complete without hunting slow worms. Even now I get excited that I might find one when moving piles of grass.
    I can’t have seen one for over 30 years.
    Please tell me they are still out there.

meddle
    Free Member

They’re about, relatively easy to find on hot days.

ski
    Free Member

put a bit of carpet over your compost heap, they will find the heat, if you have any about.

Must have 40-50 on my allotment, keeps the slugs down on my patch & they are amazing to see about.

andypaul99
    Free Member

loads of them at my local resevior, a case of dodge the slow worms in the Summer

zippykona

Ok must try harder. Shall try and make the perfect habitat and feed them my slugs.

Drac

Had a few in my garden over recent years but there could also be several lost tribes too. I must try to sort it out.

mtbfix

One of our cats loves them. Slow moving and wriggly. Much as it pains me we see fewer and fewer each year as the garden gets tidier. Got to make an effort this year to leave the back of the garden untouched so the wildlife can have a bit of space.

mrmo
    Free Member

where i was living a couple of years ago had slow worms, common lizards and adders in the garden. So yes very much stil around.

gwaelod
    Free Member

last year found on on the Penhydd trail…nope it was 2010

Mikeypies
    Free Member

As above I have there are still lots about we see plenty at our allotment and sometimes at home too

Spin
    Free Member

Bunny hopped one in Applecross this spring.

singletracksurfer

Don’t fear they are around still.

I’ve seen one on the Isle of Wight (dead), Braunton (alive) and somewhere else (can’t remember now) in the last couple of years.

Look harder 😉

zippykona

Seen plenty of adders over braunton burrows but no slow worms.
    Even a vulture once!

CountZero

Found one trying to get across our concrete drive at work last year, poor thing. Not making much headway on that surface. Picked it up and put it round the back where there’s gravel and a fair bit of bramble and stuff between us and next door. A couple of years ago I found a newt marching across the floor in the warehouse at work as well. Heaven alone knows where either came from, we’re in the middle of a busy industrial estate, and the nearest water must be over half a mile away. The newt was taken to a pool recommended by the local wildlife people.
    It was the determined, purposeful manner it was marching across our floor that amused me, but how it hadn’t got squashed by our forklift I’ll never know.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Slow worms.’ is closed to new replies.