Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Slow to warm up
  • willf
    Free Member

I ride XC non-competitively in the Peak District every 1-3 weeks. In the last year I’ve found that it typically takes me 1-2h to ge to the point when I feel properly warmed up. During the first hour on my bike my quads and glutes feel very achey and tight. Once I finally get going I can manage 30+ mile routes with >1000m of ascent without too much difficulty.

I’m only in my late twenties so wonder if it’s the result of either poor bike setup or (more likely) many frantic commutes. I’ve got pretty tight hamstrings and quads.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? What made a difference? Nutrition / hydration / yoga / bike setup?

FYI I’m 6’2″ and ride a 20″ On-One Scandal with clipless pedals.

Cheers,

Will

ojom
    Free Member

Same here but just get on with it.

Zoolander
    Free Member

Another here. No aches exactly but don’t get going on rides for a good hour most of the time. I figure I’m just not a morning person!

druidh
    Free Member

And another. If I ride with other folk, I can struggle for the first hour or so, then it’s no problem. I reckoned it was just an age thing – it take a wee while for the lubricant to get round the engine these days.

theotherjonv

not for nothing that racers spend the time before a race sat on the turbos. Takes a while to open the pipes up properly, and if I go too hard too soon, I’m eating into the anaerobic capacity simply because the engine’s not up to operating temperature yet.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Slow to warm up’ is closed to new replies.